Why don't we have Cosmetic Loadouts?

Given how GW2 otherwise has an excellent cosmetics system, it's really weird that there's no system to save transmutations and dyes to a preset. The lack of one discourages experimentation, plus I'd imagine having one would lead to higher cosmetic sales on the gem store. It makes sense to have cosmetic loadouts from both a player and business perspective, so why don't we?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9

42 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Equipment templates are not enough?

That's not the same thing, equipment templates are for changing my actual combat stats, I want separates presets so I can save how I look independent of my stats. Like FFXIV's Glamour Plates or Monster Hunter's Layered Armor.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) is 16 years old MMO, but imo, has one of the best cosmetic systems.

it has separate cosmetic tabs, up to maybe 8 tabs, where you can set up completely different outfits based on armor skins, cosmetics skins, and weapon skins. after saving the cosmetic templates. all you need to do to switch them is go to the appropriate cosmetic tab, and confirm your selection. the cosmetic skins appear instead of your equipped equipment, but your stats are all based on your equipment tab.

i don't know how ANET would be able to implement extra cosmetic tabs without possibly overloading the character files though.

• Like 4

It's not a matter of feature/UI only. To do something like FFXIV, ArenaNet should rework a bit how the transmutation charges work (paying 6 charges every time you change loadout wouldn't be very appealing, but on the other hand it would probably be too cheap to change skin forever once you unlocked it).

Maybe they could keep the transmutation charges for people who seldom change skins, and add a new kind of "legendary outfit" to let you pay more than 1 transmutation charge to let you change skin how many times you want (kind of like a legendary rune). If you think about FF14, it would be something like paying 10 transmutation charges to buy a glamour prism.

Edited by Urud.4925

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

the looks of an item are shared across templates if its not legendary. you also can't hide weapons and trinkets on a per-template basis, so for example if you have a fire theme character that aurora clashes with, you have to hide it for all your cosmetic looks or toggle it on and off manually every time.

likewise, hiding a shield in one template might hide a sword in another template.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

They do have these things.  They call them outfits. 😆

That said, it would be nice to save the cosmetic options on armor and weapons and be able to switch between them which is likely what you meant.

a character can only have one outfit with one set of dyes with no selection keybind, and the option to hide the helm isn't saved per-outfit requiring you to manually toggle it every time. there's also still the weapons, the backpiece, and any cosmetic infusions which are shared between all looks.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

the looks of an item are shared across templates if its not legendary. you also can't hide weapons and trinkets on a per-template basis, so for example if you have a fire theme character that aurora clashes with, you have to hide it for all your cosmetic looks or toggle it on and off manually every time.

likewise, hiding a shield in one template might hide a sword in another template.

Well you could always get new exotic/ascended in every slot for each template if you really want to do fashion can you not?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

It's not a matter of feature/UI only. To do something like FFXIV, ArenaNet should rework a bit how the transmutation charges work (paying 6 charges every time you change loadout wouldn't be very appealing, but on the other hand it would probably be too cheap to change skin forever once you unlocked it).

Maybe they could keep the transmutation charges for people who seldom change skins, and add a new kind of "legendary outfit" to let you pay more than 1 transmutation charge to let you change skin how many times you want (kind of like a legendary rune). If you think about FF14, it would be something like paying 10 transmutation charges to buy a glamour prism.

I was thinking you'd have to spend 2-3x the charges to create a cosmetic loadout, but then you can apply it as many times as you want.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 8:39 PM, Linken.6345 said:

They're really not.  See there's no vanity slot. The appearance of an item is stored right on the item.  I'd rather that not be teh case so I can swap out weapons, armor, and backpacks and have the template I have keep the appearance without having to spend tmutes to change every single piece every time.  Doubly so for legendary gear.  It's annoying ahving to reskin, reselect stats, and redo sigils every time I swap out a weapon.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

This has been asked for many times and should honestly be a basic feature at this point in the game's lifecycle, especially considering how much emphasis is placed on fashion

can you imagine if they added cosmetic loadouts that you could buy in the gem shop, all the 'omg we should get this is part of the core game'

On 6/1/2023 at 9:39 PM, Linken.6345 said:

The answer's no, actually. There'd also be less hoops to jump through reskinning/redyeing legendary gear if I could save cosmetic loadouts.

As of now if I want to copy a loadout's appearance to another equipment template I gotta fully wipe the 2nd template clean, paste equipment loadout, then if the dyes wont carry over, cuz they often don't, I gotta select each armor piece, default it back to legendary skin, find the skin I was using, and reskin it back to it to it fix the dyes not copying over correctly. Then I gotta change all the stats/infusions/runes/sigils for everything.

Pretty much ruins the point of copy-paste when it comes to cosmetics.. 

You also can't change equipment templates in the dye menu without dedicating 2-8 hotkeys to swapping them.

You can't transfer copy'd equipment templates to Alts either. I'd rather have appearance loadouts more than Build Storage cuz that's just a Notepad with less features. 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:21 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

One of the reasons I don't like using Shields. >.< And they never add tiny buckler type shields, they're all too big to me. (and no, no one bother going off topic recommending me any.)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I also ran into the same issue. The issue I had was that I wish they had a hot key to wear/remove an outfit or a way to have an outfit on/off for every equipment slot/template. So yes, having cosmetic layouts saved for every equipment slot would be great! Developers, if you are seeing this - please make this possible 🙂

They probably should rethink how they approach character appearances. Being able to save appearances outside of equipment templates is something that would help. When they had that fashion show in Lion's Arch, I found it difficult to prepare different appearances in advance without the use of alternative characters, as I would ruin appearances I've constructed for my main characters. Going beyond equipment templates would be helpful.

There's a lot of other issues too, like not being able to pair different gliders/mounts with different equipment templates, but that's another discussion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:50 AM, Urud.4925 said:

The solution would be to pay transmutation stones on adding skin to loadout. Of course that would create a different problem to solve - how to make it work with legendary armor.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I (also) think that appearance templates, which store every customizable part of a character (mounts and their specific dyes, mail carriers, jade bot skins, gliders, backpieces, fishing rods, chairs and everything else), would be very appreciated.

For my main character I'd use three of such templates. One for beetleracing, one for everyday adventures and one for specific culture armor. 😊

• Thanks 1

I have spent a lot of money just changing hairstyles.  I wish that I could save those hairstyles in some kind of template as some of the gear my character wears looks TERRIBLE with some hairstyles (armor clipping through hair).

I have changed one particular hairstyle that I loved because armor clips through it... I then regret changing it later as the new style just doesn't suit other armors.

A hair and cosmetic template would be MUCH appreciated, where I could save my previous hairstyles for use at a later date... 

• Confused 1