Tired of switching to different class

ArkLightXXVII.4768

Necro or Engineer  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Versatility and Flexibility.

• Engineer (Mainly Mechanist & Scrapper)
    • Necromancer (Mainly Harbinger & Reaper)

So I've been playing for about almost 5 months now and tried different classes (I only didn't try is thief) and I ended up playing my Necromancer (mainly Harbinger and Reaper) and Engineer (Mechanist & Scrapper)

I'm kinda tired of switching to different toons every now and then just because a specific toon is not that good or isn't in meta (WvW, Raids). So I've decided to focus only on a class and my choices would be Necromancer and Engineer. 

My first class that reached to level 80 without any boosting or any help from tome of knowledge is my Engineer but I ended up stocking it since I get bored with it. Then tried Necromancer but a little straightforward gameplay. 

Any advice? 

• Like 1

As a Necro main, I would say that Necro has less versatile kit than engineer.  In terms of numbers, there's nothing Necro does that engineer can't do just as well, except boon corruption/ripping.  I just prefer the straightforward nature of Necro gameplay, although mechanist is pretty straightforward too.

• Confused 1

If you're deciding based on versatility and flexibility, engineer wins hands down. In PvE at least, it's probably the best profession for being able to perform every role: top-tier alac in both heal and DPS, solid full-DPS options, and solid quickness builds. I don't think there's any other profession that can confidently fill all the roles - rev comes closest but I don't think I've seen anyone seriously recommend alacheal renegade for years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

If you're deciding based on versatility and flexibility, engineer wins hands down. In PvE at least, it's probably the best profession for being able to perform every role: top-tier alac in both heal and DPS, solid full-DPS options, and solid quickness builds. I don't think there's any other profession that can confidently fill all the roles - rev comes closest but I don't think I've seen anyone seriously recommend alacheal renegade for years.

Yep. I think if I play versatile class, I don't need to switch class from time to time since I can cover up what is needed based on the class I'm playing.

I'm just being hesitant since If I want to play WvW, they might not need an engi for zergs.

4 hours ago, ArkLightXXVII.4768 said:

Yep. I think if I play versatile class, I don't need to switch class from time to time since I can cover up what is needed based on the class I'm playing.

I'm just being hesitant since If I want to play WvW, they might not need an engi for zergs.

Zergs I can't really comment on too much in depth since I don't run in them very often, but from what I've read support scrapper still seems to be fairly functional in that environment despite taking a few nerfs.

• Like 1

It depends how much you enjoy it.

I mean; my fav class is engineer; but I only get fun playing Power Holo or Condi Holo (Condi Core in the past). But Mech and Scrapper are Meh (for me; still play them 'cause, you know, "HI, DPS"  even though lfg says "Heal"). Also, remember that Anet said they want all classes doing the same (as for supports roles) so maybe in the future versality will no matter.

Let's check:

• Power DPS: Reaper DPS is better than Power Holo in every aspect. In addition, rotation is simple, it can apply self quickness and self stab, etc.  Without any doubt Power Reaper is powerful, even in open world without allies is by far stronger.
  • Quickness: Harbinger has more DPS, but Scrapper is incredibly simple to play (in both, dps and boon aspect) And Scrapper can apply Superspeed... so here it depends what do you prefer (+DPS vs Simple DPS and Superspeed)
  • Healing & Alacrity: Mech stomps. It's like compare a quaggan vs an elder dragon
  • Condition: Yeah; Condition Holo can do more DPS; but difference is not high and condition harbinger is by far easier than CHolo; in addition, evades are part of Holo's rotation so, if you are in a pug group and your supports aren't that good, you will prefer to play anything else. So here, is +DPS but a little challenging vs Less DPS but secure to play.

In summary; Engineer is by far more versatile (especially support ones); but Necro is more flexible (especially DPS ones) IMO.

Edit: When I say Scrapper and Mech are Meh I'm talking about enjoyness; they are very strong; but imagine to play them every day in Fractals, you'll get bored soon.

Edited by AlPower.2476
Remember, IMO,
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AlPower.2476 said:

It depends how much you enjoy it.

I mean; my fav class is engineer; but I only get fun playing Power Holo or Condi Holo (Condi Core in the past). But Mech and Scrapper are Meh (for me; still play them 'cause, you know, "HI, DPS"  even though lfg says "Heal"). Also, remember that Anet said they want all classes doing the same (as for supports roles) so maybe in the future versality will no matter.

Let's check:

• Power DPS: Reaper DPS is better than Power Holo in every aspect. In addition, rotation is simple, it can apply self quickness and self stab, etc.  Without any doubt Power Reaper is powerful, even in open world without allies is by far stronger.
  • Quickness: Harbinger has more DPS, but Scrapper is incredibly simple to play (in both, dps and boon aspect) And Scrapper can apply Superspeed... so here it depends what do you prefer (+DPS vs Simple DPS and Superspeed)
  • Healing & Alacrity: Mech stomps. It's like compare a quaggan vs an elder dragon
  • Condition: Yeah; Condition Holo can do more DPS; but difference is not high and condition harbinger is by far easier than CHolo; in addition, evades are part of Holo's rotation so, if you are in a pug group and your supports aren't that good, you will prefer to play anything else. So here, is +DPS but a little challenging vs Less DPS but secure to play.

In summary; Engineer is by far more versatile (especially support ones); but Necro is more flexible (especially DPS ones) IMO.

Edit: When I say Scrapper and Mech are Meh I'm talking about enjoyness; they are very strong; but imagine to play them every day in Fractals, you'll get bored soon.

Thanks for this. I really appreciate it.

I do enjoy both but yeah, kinda tired switching class every now and then. 
Scrapper and Mechanist are fine for me and they're kinda fun in fractals (at least for me)
I also like how Reapers do get me to top DPS every run in fractals so that's also a point for me. 

EDIT: I do like the damage output or Reapers but it feels kinda slow for me to be honest. That's why I keep on thinking maybe if I should go with Scrapper.

Edited by ArkLightXXVII.4768
  • Thanks 1