Storylines broken

Path of fire > The Sacrifice > Search the salt flats for Balthazar and Vlast.  

I searched for 45m or so.... around and around.   There's no green star showing where they are - should there be?  Is it broken?  Do I need to start the instance over?

Why are the storylines so broken?

I had one boss that would not take damage.  After dying over and over attempting to figure it out,  I restarted the instance and cleared the level without any special tactics.

I rolled a Necromancer JUST to get through faster due to constant quest issues.

One airship quest has cannons that can only be used when the dragon is hovering -- you can't shoot while they fly by?   Targeting is annoying, getting in and out of the cannon is annoying... Then the final dragon you don't even target, and does not have a healthbar... it's health is shown on the right side in the quest completion area!   DO NOT change mechanics from one encounter to another!!!!  There's another area with trolls throwing rocks at the cannon - if you don't shield up when they reach down for a rock the rock will hit - you can't wait for the rock to be airborne... the shield comes up fast enough... it makes no sense.

As with anything created, you have to go back over the creation and tweak things, sometimes redo them. 

I recommend working the storyline with a fairly new player to observe the issues they should not have to deal with.

• Confused 4

So, I restarted the instance for Path of fire > The Sacrifice,  and I found Balthazar and Vlast right away.

The Harald of Balthazar kills way way too fast.  I died around 10 times.    One of the deaths was standing in the spawn location... anything outside Bal's ring gets burned, even way outside around the corner 😕 which goes contrary to how the game normally works.

Leveling to 80 I died 9 times.  Doing storyline since then, I'm up to 28... because some bosses are overpowered and bad design.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Duligraws.8214 said:

So, I restarted the instance for Path of fire > The Sacrifice,  and I found Balthazar and Vlast right away.

The Harald of Balthazar kills way way too fast.  I died around 10 times.    One of the deaths was standing in the spawn location... anything outside Bal's ring gets burned, even way outside around the corner 😕 which goes contrary to how the game normally works.

Leveling to 80 I died 9 times.  Doing storyline since then, I'm up to 28... because some bosses are overpowered and bad design.

you need to learn the encounter and avoid the attacks using your dodge key, blocks, and other active defenses. the game isn't badly designed its just that its getting harder.

the difficulty you're experiencing now is about 10-15% of what you'll see in end-game instanced content. i recommend learning how to properly gear and play your class before continuing, which will result in alot less frustration. there's builds on sites like metabattle (check the open-world category), and how to play tutorials on youtube which explain the intricacies of each class.

central tyria and the lv1-80 personal story don't teach you anything about the game. the difference between a good build and skill use and a bad build and skill use is literally 1000%, or 10x.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

"central tyria and the lv1-80 personal story don't teach you anything about the game"  == bad design.

Any game that requires going outside the game (some website) to learn how to play is badly designed.   Period.   And yes, I'm defining many games as badly design, because they are.

• Confused 4

Just now, Duligraws.8214 said:

"central tyria and the lv1-80 personal story don't teach you anything about the game"  == bad design.

Any game that requires going outside the game (some website) to learn how to play is badly designed.   Period.   And yes, I'm defining many games as badly design, because they are.

It's not bad design, the game changed in response to players wanting more challenge and mechanics. So its an evolving design

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Duligraws.8214 said:

I trained Reaper:  It says "You can now wield greatswords"  but the one in my inventory says "Greatsword requires the elite specialization Reaper"

What am I missing here?  This is horrible! 

You need to equip reaper as the third traitline in the hero panel (the game teaches you this)

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Not season 1, season 2 and/or HoT

I have not started s2 nor done HoT, and now that you mention it, I bet the green/red are easy/hard.   Again bad design due to inconsistency by including no-color/blue/teal...   So I'm going to resume in order.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Duligraws.8214 said:

I have not started s2 nor done HoT, and now that you mention it, I bet the green/red are easy/hard.   Again bad design due to inconsistency by including no-color/blue/teal...   So I'm going to resume in order.

There's no colours for difficulty. But the game does evolve - as any mmo does - if you progress in the order of release. Season 2 and Hot and season 3 are the order before PoF starts.

PoF is halfway through the story (so far) which is one single continuous story arc from 2012 - current

Edited by Randulf.7614

Just now, Duligraws.8214 said:

Aha it has to be the 3rd one.  Great.  Thanks.

Yea kinda noted in game and got a special border so something call elite might go into something that dont look like the other 2.

But yea that requires people to think and that is asking for to much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd alter that to say opinion. The key thing to remember is that PoF is not designed for new players who haven't learnt what the game teaches before - especially since PoF follows the evenst from Season 3 as is not an isolated game. If they go into it without doing prior, its doable, but risks the issues you outline. That is not bad design, but the natural order of progression and evvolution that is healthy for an mmo

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I'd alter that to say opinion. The key thing to remember is that PoF is not designed for new players who haven't learnt what the game teaches before - especially since PoF follows the evenst from Season 3 as is not an isolated game. If they go into it without doing prior, its doable, but risks the issues you outline. That is not bad design, but the natural order of progression and evvolution that is healthy for an mmo

OP is not about this.  OP is factual.

• Confused 2

I just did a hero thing where you shoot a cannon to hit 3 targets on a mountain.  It had no progress bar, and I could not tell if I hit or not, seemed like it, so I moved on to another one, and another.  By the 5th one the quest completed.  Seems I never hit 2 but did hit 3 of the 5.

I'd rather post where I can view the reports.

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Duligraws.8214 said:

I just did a hero thing where you shoot a cannon to hit 3 targets on a mountain.  It had no progress bar, and I could not tell if I hit or not, seemed like it, so I moved on to another one, and another.  By the 5th one the quest completed.  Seems I never hit 2 but did hit 3 of the 5.

I'd rather post where I can view the reports.

You see the cannon ball fly over and hit the targets and it then losses its barrel around the body.

Can be seen in this video.

So again it looks like you are not seeing what the game is showing you bud.

Edit

And if you miss there is a indicators of were you hit can be seen earlier in the video.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1