"Best" class\spec for new support (i.e. Boon Provider) player? (PVE)

Joxer.6024

Ok, so am giving some serious thought to giving the support role a go, as its something I havent ever done and thought why not. My thoughts behind not doing was\is that if I die as a dps its just 1 less dps but if I die as support then my whole group suffers....so dont wanna be a feeder.

But with so many of the class specs now leaning really into support of some I thought it would be a good time to try. Although havent seen to many guides or what have you in NOW to actually play support, just the builds and what to press.

So, for a 61 yr old player with 280 ping and fat fingers ( but I can actually play...lol) what would be a good class to give it a crack on? My first thoughts are to Mech as it seems that everything it does is fairly simple, so much so that I dont enjoy it as dps. For one there are just SO dang many and also the playstyle gets a bit boring. BUT, thats as dps. Perhaps as support it would be different? Not a fan of the Blue, but again if that is my strongest option I reckon I could give it a go. I have one of every class so thats not an issue, and also have played since like 2012, but just came back after like 4 yrs.

Currently leveling a Spectre as i want to try it in OW and such, so there is that choice as well. Am very used to tanking as thats what I mained in WOW like forever (go go Blood DK!!) with the wife as my ever faithful healer....was a handy combo!

Ok, fire away. Also any tips or direction peeps can give in how to actually play AS a support would be most appreciated!!  Cheers all!  😉

Edited by Joxer.6024

You'd have to say if you mean support as 'Boon provider' or actual Support like a healer.

In the healer category, you can get away with easy gameplay with the top dogs, altho you'd have to do some weird tanking, kiting and responsibilities in raids as healers tend to do in GW2 but it seems that you're not afraid of that. Both Druid and Mech are quite godlike healer carries and the simpler versions of them are actually fairly accessible.

If you mean support as boon providers, Herald Quickness is able to be played by kinda spamming everything and provide 2 billion boons while doing decent power dps, the mech alacrity rifle is also a choice but beware of sleepiness because it's VERY simplistic. Basically pressing 2 and 3 on cd while autoattacking from range.

There is obviously more nuance to those but it's the jist of it, be mindful that this evening a balance stream is going to be presented on the official channel of GW2 showing off upcoming changes to the game and we know that some things will be shaken up / added in the support department.

For example, Deadeye has been promised a quickness providing build, Specter has been announced to have 'significantly improved support capability' for example so what I listed above it probably the 'right now' way of looking at it, but might change in next patch.

• Joxer.6024 changed the title to "Best" class\spec for new support (i.e. Boon Provider) player? (PVE)
2 minutes ago, Atomnium.1532 said:

the mech alacrity rifle is also a choice but beware of sleepiness because it's VERY simplistic. Basically pressing 2 and 3 on cd while autoattacking from range.

Yea i see that mentioned alot, but is that really all there is to it? Thats what i mean by guides, they be lacking. Does one just go in as said boon person and wing it, trying to learn as you go so to speak? And yea, very much aware of the upcoming patch and changes so thats why the "new" Spectre is just kinda chilling for now.  😉

But I reckon I wouldnt be against giving Mech a go, might be my best option given my situation.

Cheers!!!!

• Confused 1

Mech rifle alac is basically :
Autoattack
Press 2 to generate might around and more damage (so on CD)
Press 3 and/or 4 to CC/Breakbar

You can put mech skills on auto
And it plays itself, now there is still room to grow if you want, you can un-auto F2 and F3 to improve you ability to adapt to circumstances. You ideally want to get in less than 400 range for crit bonus, you'd want to be close to your mech as much as possible for him not to lose stats.

So you see the basics are really simple.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Atomnium.1532 said:

Mech rifle alac is basically :
Autoattack
Press 2 to generate might around and more damage (so on CD)
Press 3 and/or 4 to CC/Breakbar

You can put mech skills on auto
And it plays itself, now there is still room to grow if you want, you can un-auto F2 and F3 to improve you ability to adapt to circumstances. You ideally want to get in less than 400 range for crit bonus, you'd want to be close to your mech as much as possible for him not to lose stats.

So you see the basics are really simple.

Wow! Ok, so  I am liking this! I basically just dps and that and the Mech does the support for me? And then as i learn what to do better Ic an change it up? Ok.....I think I got my answer to my post. Cheers for that! Time to roll it out and see if I dont suck.  😉

Yup, basically mech is pulsing boons (Might and alacrity) periodically, while its F2 grants Aegis, protection, stability a bit of alacrity, breaks stuns and cleanses conditions, its F3 does some barrier, might, alacrity and fury.

Only thing coming from your character is might with the 2 skill.

Check out a video like 

for the basics

Edited by Atomnium.1532
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Atomnium.1532 said:

Yup, basically mech is pulsing boons (Might and alacrity) periodically, while its F2 grants Aegis, protection, stability a bit of alacrity, breaks stuns and cleanses conditions, its F3 does some barrier, might, alacrity and fury.

Only thing coming from your character is might with the 2 skill.

Check out a video like 

for the basics

Oh crap...whats the build for this? One on SC or HS?   And again, big thanks!!

Lol...nvm, its on the Vid, duh!  😉

Edited by Joxer.6024