Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Why Dragonfall, Drizzlewood, and Silverwastes are the best metas


Recommended Posts

1. They aren't on a fixed timer.

2. They are decently rewarding.

That means I can show up at any time and join the meta because it is running continuously. It gives the map a purpose. Why does every other map even exist if we just show up 5 minutes before the final battle and collect all the rewards then leave for the next 2 hours? If I go to AB and do events thinking I'm driving the meta on but then no matter what I do, 5 minutes before every even hour, a horde of people show up and kill the boss and collect a ton chests. If I go to Dragon's End, spend an hour doing events thinking I'm helping get ready to fight Soo-Won, but regardless of what I did the map will either close or a ton of people will come in at the last minute to start the "real" meta (this one is even worse because the organized groups doing the even will often purposely go to a fresh ip).

Edited by Yaki.9563
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Yaki.9563 said:

I go to AB and do events thinking I'm driving the meta on but then no matter what I do, 5 minutes before every even hour, a horde of people show up and kill the boss and collect a ton chests.

You need keys for those chests. And map currency for the keys. What do you think those people were doing to get those keys?

 

Exactly. Map events.

 

So they don't just show up and collect a ton of chests, they probably did the same events you did but not immediately before this specific meta but other day, saved up etc.

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see time slot as a big factor for the success of a meta too. 

For me as an example:

Marionette is 18:00

Tequatle is also 18:00

Nobody does Marionette at this time for a reason. 

Marionette at 20:00 is actually doable because there isn't something big on the same time slot. 

This goes for other Metas too. 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

 

So they don't just show up and collect a ton of chests, they probably did the same events you did but not immediately before this specific meta but other day, saved up etc.

 

 

*Removed some part of quote and highlight the part I wanted to focus on

 

It have happens that when you are doing those maps that map will close and you have to re-start on map to get to final stage with map boss(es) to collect your reward from opening those chests with keys. So it is very likely that those jumping to a new map that are in the final stage have already done map events and just want to get those chests.

The main problem with maps is that they are depending on how many players that are on those and will close if too many are leaving at once (or when they have reached a final stage for events where there is a countdown before maps like Dragonfall will fail with an explosion [reset] and move player to re-spawn WP for that map).

Maps that have a pre-set event time when they start also have a countdown in the background (so not much difference from Dragonfall, Silverwastes or any other map) combined with population for that map. If population gets too low then you see that "offer" to move to a new map or you have to finish up what you are doing before you will get moved into that map (as long there isn't a large increase in population that will stop that countdown).

All those map you (OP) mention is built on RIBA which means that when players join there they know what to do and that makes farming those maps easier then on other maps. With more population doing same thing it is also more "rewarding" as you don't have to restart to get to final stage.

Triple Trouble is an example of map with a complex pattern which needs more organization to success as you need to kill all three heads in short time frame (2 min) or event will fail, do preparation stages with escorts and get debuffs/buffs etc. The closest map that have something of the same is Auric Basin where you have Defend stages (North, South, East and West) and then Battle stages where you need to coordinate to not kill too fast each four Vine that are blocking gate for (NSEW).

Compared to those two and Dragonfall, Drizzlewood or Silverwastes it is clear that those event chains that are on event timer that those needs to be on a timer where player will go there and to event in that event chain and that can only be done with a general time when player can plan to go there. For Dragonfall, Drizzlewood and Silverwastes those maps are more depending on a flow of player that will do those maps and will success if there is enough player to stay through events until the end without any real map coordination compared to TT or AB.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I see time slot as a big factor for the success of a meta too. 

For me as an example:

Marionette is 18:00

Tequatle is also 18:00

Nobody does Marionette at this time for a reason. 

Marionette at 20:00 is actually doable because there isn't something big on the same time slot. 

This goes for other Metas too. 

 

Guild Wars 2 isn't a time zone specific game, some people might work night shifts, other work day shifts and what you are pointing out is just that for your case those events chains fits with your daily routine.

Having several events that start at same time also make it possible to alternate between which event to do and Marionette as an example can be done when ever you decide to do it if you have a large enough group of player (a squad) and want to start that event, then you can start it any time you would want (see link to wiki in end of post).

It is only if you would want to do it as a public event (without a proper squad before entering that instance) that you would need to keep an eye on event timer for this event which is the same for all events on Eye of The North where you need to interact with that NPC to enter that instance.

Both Marionette and Dragonstorm event is instanced events and not the same type as Tequatl the Sunless event which is a map event which impact everything that close to that event area of map if it fails.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Twisted_Marionette#Walkthrough

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_Tequatl_the_Sunless#Walkthrough

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

Guild Wars 2 isn't a time zone specific game, some people might work night shifts, other work day shifts and what you are pointing out is just that for your case those events chains fits with your daily routine.

Having several events that start at same time also make it possible to alternate between which event to do and Marionette as an example can be done when ever you decide to do it if you have a large enough group of player (a squad) and want to start that event, then you can start it any time you would want (see link to wiki in end of post).

It is only if you want to it as a public event that you would need to keep an eye on event timer for this event which is the same for all events on Eye of The North where need to interact with that NPC.

Both Marionette and Dragonstorm event is instanced events and not the same type as Tequatl the Sunless event which is a map event which impact everything that close to that event area of map if it fails.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Twisted_Marionette#Walkthrough

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_Tequatl_the_Sunless#Walkthrough

Events being part of a daily routine is exactly what I mean.  Some Metas simply fit in, others don't.  Which makes the ones that fit see more play. 

And gw2 isn't Activ 24/7. Atleast enough to do meta trains. Player population has ups and downs. Depending on timezones. 

So it's very important for Anet to consider it's placement in the Event Timer. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Events being part of a daily routine is exactly what I mean.  Some Metas simply fit in, others don't.  Which makes the ones that fit see more play. 

And gw2 isn't Activ 24/7. Atleast enough to do meta trains. Player population has ups and downs. Depending on timezones. 

So it's very important for Anet to consider it's placement in the Event Timer. 

 

Not sure if we do need "meta trains" to events on maps. As far as I can tell from doing events during late night (EU) if there is enough players (not necessary a large population; just enough to get things done), then we will be able to get maps to final stage even during late night time. And in case we wont, we will at least have keys we can use when there is enough players around to get to final stage for that event to get our rewards.

Population will always have variation and it can be also a new game that will attract a lot GW2 players from playing this game, so planning events after some set timer, like you are expressing, will be rather meaningless as it is impossible to know how population will react by external changes, have other interest that make them not to play on those pre set time (maybe get a new work with a different work hours, a child or anything else) for some time.

In any case time zones in EU is rather wide so when some time zone might have day, other have evening and Arena Net are based in USA which means most of their planning is around NA or UK (as it is where GMT or Central EU time [CET] is coordinated from for European countries - we also have the variation of Daylight Saving Time [DST] or Summer time which moves time one hour ahead of normal (Winter) time).

Guild Wars 2 don't have much of down time compared to other games like ESO (when I played it) where server will be taken offline for several hours for different reason, so GW2 is very much a 24/7 game where players will find content to do on different scale and on different time of day/night even when population change.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Kalavin.8674 said:

Dragonfall is the worst meta. Is constantly rushing and waypointing. If you lose track of the zerg. You miss the key.

You don't miss out on any keys just from moving from waypoint  to waypoiny or those blue dots on map that will be working as waypoints (no fee).

Do events from start on that map (which incl escorting and secure a WP) and you will get keys. It is only during bonus boss event chain you might have a hard time to have enough keys or get keys from getting kills on those bosses where groups are fast tracking every bonus bosses.

[Edit: Don't forget to open chest from map meta before bonus event as some chests contains keys]

In that case look at map where you blue WP dots and use those to keep up with zergs movement.

With Griffon/Skyscale while in sky and Jackal/Raptor or Beetle mount for land based movement you shouldn't have a hard time to keep up.

Remember that when final meta boss have been killed and bonus event start that there is a countdown until map will reset.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You need keys for those chests. And map currency for the keys. What do you think those people were doing to get those keys?

 

Exactly. Map events.

 

So they don't just show up and collect a ton of chests, they probably did the same events you did but not immediately before this specific meta but other day, saved up etc.

You get more than enough currency to buy all the keys you need just from doing Octovine, so what you said is not true. If what you said was true then it would be great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Yaki.9563 said:

You get more than enough currency to buy all the keys you need just from doing Octovine, so what you said is not true. If what you said was true then it would be great.

Yeah, no. I've been doing octovine without the map events, and no you don't. I was always short. You always have to buy extra keys with aurilium, and even that dries out eventually. So the players at least have to do the events once in a while.

And honestly, whenever i'm there, there's tons of people doing those, so i don't really know what you're complaining about.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I see time slot as a big factor for the success of a meta too. 

For me as an example:

Marionette is 18:00

Tequatle is also 18:00

Nobody does Marionette at this time for a reason. 

Marionette at 20:00 is actually doable because there isn't something big on the same time slot. 

This goes for other Metas too. 

 

Those are world bosses rather than metas. A meta is a series of events that usually involves the whole map building up to a final battle of some sort. I object to the implementation of metas where the final event or final series of events happens on a timer so that the entire portion building up to it is pointless (or that people can port in and reap the benefits of the work others put in).

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, no. I've been doing octovine without the map events, and no you don't. I was always short. You always have to buy extra keys with aurilium, and even that dries out eventually. So the players at least have to do the events once in a while.

And honestly, whenever i'm there, there's tons of people doing those, so i don't really know what you're complaining about.

I can't remember the last time I did another event and I never did any beyond map exploration/story. I generate more aurilium from Octovine + looting chests than I need to buy the keys.

Edit: Here's the proof. I just showed up 1 minute before Octo. Started with 155 keys and 3544 aurilium. Ended with 155 keys (had to buy 20 from vendor) and 3632 aurilium.

Edited by Yaki.9563
Proof
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

1. They aren't on a fixed timer.

2. They are decently rewarding.

That means I can show up at any time and join the meta because it is running continuously. It gives the map a purpose. Why does every other map even exist if we just show up 5 minutes before the final battle and collect all the rewards then leave for the next 2 hours? If I go to AB and do events thinking I'm driving the meta on but then no matter what I do, 5 minutes before every even hour, a horde of people show up and kill the boss and collect a ton chests. If I go to Dragon's End, spend an hour doing events thinking I'm helping get ready to fight Soo-Won, but regardless of what I did the map will either close or a ton of people will come in at the last minute to start the "real" meta (this one is even worse because the organized groups doing the even will often purposely go to a fresh ip).

Think about it this way, there are a lot of metas, that would provide an excessive amount of rewards were they not on a 2 hour loop. Since you brought it up, Auric Basin can be looted every time you do it successfully and you have ofcourse participated in it.

If it had no timer we would run into the issue where at peak hours we'd have so many AB instances open where people would be able to successfully complete the meta and loot all it's chests back to back, constantly. And that's no good for the economy. 

Metas on a timer have reason to exist, that's why they are like this.

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, no. I've been doing octovine without the map events, and no you don't. I was always short. You always have to buy extra keys with aurilium, and even that dries out eventually. So the players at least have to do the events once in a while.

And honestly, whenever i'm there, there's tons of people doing those, so i don't really know what you're complaining about.

It's actually true though, doing the meta exclusively gives you a surplus of currency. I've done AB meta more than 1000 times by now, used to do it up to 5 times a day, and I've done the prep maybe 15 times in total. 

I'm sitting at a comfortable 163.000 Aurilium and 1.700 exalted keys. Don't tell me these are from my 15 meta prep runs... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You need keys for those chests. And map currency for the keys. What do you think those people were doing to get those keys?

 

Exactly. Map events.

 

So they don't just show up and collect a ton of chests, they probably did the same events you did but not immediately before this specific meta but other day, saved up etc.

 

 

If they did the events to get their keys, etc on a prior map, day, whatever, doesnt that indicate that they did not participate in advancing the current meta toward its final play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If they did the events to get their keys, etc on a prior map, day, whatever, doesnt that indicate that they did not participate in advancing the current meta toward its final play?

Those events are not part of the meta. Octovine is the meta, the events are just the "filler". That's how all of those maps work except Dragon stand. You do events for keys, then at fixed times, the meta starts which you complete. The events before have nothing to do with the meta, they just serve as a way for you to earn currency and keys to spend when the meta is completed and/or opening map caches.

 

So no, it doesn't indicate that they did not participate in the meta, the meta starts when the Octovine shows up and the "get armors" event start. That's the meta.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Think about it this way, there are a lot of metas, that would provide an excessive amount of rewards were they not on a 2 hour loop. Since you brought it up, Auric Basin can be looted every time you do it successfully and you have ofcourse participated in it.

If it had no timer we would run into the issue where at peak hours we'd have so many AB instances open where people would be able to successfully complete the meta and loot all it's chests back to back, constantly. And that's no good for the economy. 

 

Of course if they just took away the timer that would be the case. But it was designed with a timer. The design is bad. That's my point. They should have designed it like Dragonfall so that if no one does the events the meta won't happen and if you don't do them personally you won't have enough keys to loot the chests.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Those events are not part of the meta. Octovine is the meta, the events are just the "filler". That's how all of those maps work except Dragon stand. You do events for keys, then at fixed times, the meta starts which you complete. The events before have nothing to do with the meta, they just serve as a way for you to earn currency and keys to spend when the meta is completed and/or opening map caches.

 

So no, it doesn't indicate that they did not participate in the meta, the meta starts when the Octovine shows up and the "get armors" event start. That's the meta.

Completing those events used to contribute to Octovine because the number of armours you'd get used to depend on how well the map had done in pylon events. That was removed, however, because it was too punishing for people who ended up in an overflow map for any reason.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

 If I go to AB and do events thinking I'm driving the meta on but then no matter what I do, 5 minutes before every even hour, a horde of people show up and kill the boss and collect a ton chests. 

AB required full participation before, but they changed it long time ago.

i think nobody want "old AB" back.

The map events chain(upgrade pillars) is VERY lengthen.

Also if u arrive later,  if have to rush to build at least 80% participation.

Ppl today says HOT is a masterpiece, but forget how many times its was reworked. Hot maps was very hated in early days and ppl do it because its was only and first GW2 expansion, and to get Specs hero points.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I strongly dislike Dragonfall due to its extreme key sparseness to the point that people might start to flame you if you do an event on your own. So imo not the best.

The good thing about timed events is that I don't have to randomly wait around if I need the meta for something - like random collection #57 - I can join it just when it starts, great.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The flaw in the op is that gyala delve meets both of those criteria and is complete crap . . .

Drizzlewood and Silverwastes are great bc they give you excellent opportunities to either advance the map or your own rewards through individual effort . . .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...