What do you get out of playing sPVP in 2023?

Hologram.2810

• Arena Net hasn't cared about the game mode for years
  • Balancing is a joke
  • Highest ranked team comps are just based on memey cc / burst / boonball spam
  • Matchmaking is TERRIBLE because of small pool of players
  • Not beginner-friendly
  • Very rude and toxic players, probably the worst in the entire game
  • Counter-intuitive gameplay that doesn't even have spectator mode to learn from better players or clear animations to know wtf is being casted LOL
  • From what's said on here, incredibly shady scene full of wintraders, afkers, and the whole circus.

Really, what's the point of sPVP outside of completing your daily (and even that can go left field pretty easily too)? Way more cons than pros, just not worth the headache or investment.

Edited by BloodyVampyra.3741
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

For me it's the mix of immersion and the competitive dynamics. I love playing as ele and nuking people with the aesthetics of fire and air spells, I love playing necro and just the style of their skills and animations, I love playing mesmer and dancing around people, waiting for essential skills and interrupting them. I loved all those 3 classes in GW1 and I've kept playing them in GW2. They're just immersive as kitten.

Also GW2 has really engaging combat, lots of skills that interact, can counter one another, specific timings of skill uses, positioning on the map, build possibilities and limitations, fiddling with stats and traits and trying to extract the most out of every spec, skill chains that are effective, but you also have to adapt and interrupt because someone will anticipate them, etc. etc.

Everything you listed is a detractor from those things I personally enjoy. They are not a lack of reason to play it, they suppress the reason to play it. For me the state of PvP is already reaching a point of ridiculousness that seriously makes me wonder whether ANet is not just neglecting it, but actively wants to sink it so they can save resources or some kitten. It's incredibly sad to me that PvP could actually thrive with even a TINY BIT of love and attention from ANet, just someone who actually cares. Once it gets past a certain point of being too much of a clown show in terms of balancing and matchmaking, then all those things you listed will outweigh all those things I enjoy enough for me not to play it anymore.

But until then, PvP is still a lot of fun. I get fun out of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you don't enjoy the vomitting of effects (CC, AoE, conditions, boons, Fear, Immobilize, Teleports, Stealth) and don't care for the rewards from the Reward Tracks, I don't think there is anything for you to get out of sPvP.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SevlisBavles.3059 said:

For me it's the mix of immersion and the competitive dynamics. I love playing as ele and nuking people with the aesthetics of fire and air spells, I love playing necro and just the style of their skills and animations, I love playing mesmer and dancing around people, waiting for essential skills and interrupting them. I loved all those 3 classes in GW1 and I've kept playing them in GW2. They're just immersive as kitten.

Also GW2 has really engaging combat, lots of skills that interact, can counter one another, specific timings of skill uses, positioning on the map, build possibilities and limitations, fiddling with stats and traits and trying to extract the most out of every spec, skill chains that are effective, but you also have to adapt and interrupt because someone will anticipate them, etc. etc.

Everything you listed is a detractor from those things I personally enjoy. They are not a lack of reason to play it, they suppress the reason to play it. For me the state of PvP is already reaching a point of ridiculousness that seriously makes me wonder whether ANet is not just neglecting it, but actively wants to sink it so they can save resources or some kitten. It's incredibly sad to me that PvP could actually thrive with even a TINY BIT of love and attention from ANet, just someone who actually cares. Once it gets past a certain point of being too much of a clown show in terms of balancing and matchmaking, then all those things you listed will outweigh all those things I enjoy enough for me not to play it anymore.

But until then, PvP is still a lot of fun. I get fun out of it.

If you look at what Arenanet has been doing with PVP modes for years, it really seems that they really want to kill it off. There is no development for the PVP mini games and they are tucked away hidden really really well, WvW and SPVP are basically separated from the game again tucked away in the UI, the Leaderboards for activities don't show anything( and if they made them show people will notice that allot of them are cheated and nothing is done about it), the SPVP being depressing and being disjointed islands, the place suck even for just waiting for a game, the reward tracks stopped being added and having the cool pve items in them .

I don't think the only reason is resources ,  someone there is pushing PVP modes out because they cause conflict and they in their small mind thing they are losing player count because of it or just hate people trying to excel at the game, then pander to may fly players that just play for a while and leave the game forever. It also seems that there is someone at Anet that is somehow helping the psyho toxic players  do whatever they want.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Higher blood pressure and increased cortisol levels.
So naturally; I'd go back in a heartbeat, if they would get rid of DuoQ from ranked. Until then; boycotts have been very successful in the real world, we'll see if the same ever applies here.

Another thing sPvP gave me was the willingness to try other games. I'm currently paying $15/mo so that I have access to a crafting material bank in ESO, and somehow that still manages to feel better than engaging in this toxic, manipulated, and above all neglected heap of a garbage gamemode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

If you look at what Arenanet has been doing with PVP modes for years, it really seems that they really want to kill it off. There is no development for the PVP mini games and they are tucked away hidden really really well, WvW and SPVP are basically separated from the game again tucked away in the UI, the Leaderboards for activities don't show anything( and if they made them show people will notice that allot of them are cheated and nothing is done about it), the SPVP being depressing and being disjointed islands, the place suck even for just waiting for a game, the reward tracks stopped being added and having the cool pve items in them .

I don't think the only reason is resources ,  someone there is pushing PVP modes out because they cause conflict and they in their small mind thing they are losing player count because of it or just hate people trying to excel at the game, then pander to may fly players that just play for a while and leave the game forever. It also seems that there is someone at Anet that is somehow helping the psyho toxic players  do whatever they want.

The Community: why not leave PvP completely to the Abusers and to the Exploiters??

Let them have the Toxic platform all to themselves.

Look for Healthy Competitive  Alternatives Experiences, who who does not Allow it and Support it!!

As long Anet continue rewarding Toxicity by continuing refusing its existence, acknowledge its existence.. expect the same Kitteness to continue to happen. 

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Its fun if you just don't care about the community vitriol/play with friends/play for  legendary gear/chill in the arena and dont tie your worth to a ranking that people pay the price of a upper-tier graphics card for.

Exist outside the bullkitten and find people that also do, but still take skillful play seriously.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Thanks 2

On 6/19/2023 at 1:57 PM, BloodyVampyra.3741 said:
  • Arena Net hasn't cared about the game mode for years
  • Balancing is a joke
  • Highest ranked team comps are just based on memey cc / burst / boonball spam
  • Matchmaking is TERRIBLE because of small pool of players
  • Not beginner-friendly
  • Very rude and toxic players, probably the worst in the entire game
  • Counter-intuitive gameplay that doesn't even have spectator mode to learn from better players or clear animations to know wtf is being casted LOL
  • From what's said on here, incredibly shady scene full of wintraders, afkers, and the whole circus.

Really, what's the point of sPVP outside of completing your daily (and even that can go left field pretty easily too)? Way more cons than pros, just not worth the headache or investment.

What do i get out of playing pvp?

The thrill of playing a perfectly balanced game constantly throwing new and exciting content at me while i have the privilege of meeting the most friendly people there can be : )

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

On 6/19/2023 at 8:19 PM, Vancho.8750 said:

I don't think the only reason is resources ,  someone there is pushing PVP modes out because they cause conflict and they in their small mind thing they are losing player count because of it or just hate people trying to excel at the game, then pander to may fly players that just play for a while and leave the game forever.

The don't push the mode out with intent, they just manage the mode for a select few top players, which obviously will kill the mode if it is not welcoming for new or average player. They mode is an absolute pain to get into, which of course isn't a Problem for established players and the devs that sit with them in discord.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:19 PM, Vancho.8750 said:

It also seems that there is someone at Anet that is somehow helping the psyho toxic players  do whatever they want.

They probably know a bunch of them personally. And get warned that if you ban these kind people the mode will die faster. It is just nepotism at work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get footage for silly videos (although, I'm currently sitting on an absolute dragon's horde of core power guard that runs so deep, it's almost discouraging me from actually making with video in between the beats of my already busy enough life).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

The don't push the mode out with intent, they just manage the mode for a select few top players, which obviously will kill the mode if it is not welcoming for new or average player. They mode is an absolute pain to get into, which of course isn't a Problem for established players and the devs that sit with them in discord.

They probably know a bunch of them personally. And get warned that if you ban these kind people the mode will die faster. It is just nepotism at work.

I think its more on the "Our game is for happy, happy happy people and there is no bad people and everyone is happy in the game" kind of thing and Anet is just killing any content that can lead  to "negativity" which means any Hard content will be axed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stronghold is pretty cool from time to time ngl.
Too bad all the good reward stuff is locked behind the ranked season rewards.

Conquest? yea.. nah.. in theory I like the game mode a lot but the way how objectives (nodes, not map objectives) and the point system work skew the balance towards some really f'd up builds and meta team comps (aka 4 catas + 1 tempest atm from what it seems), making the balance even more unbearable than elsewhere in the game.

That's not so much an issue in Stronghold due to different objectives and almost nobody tryhards there either, aka plays what they want instead of 5 eles.

• Thanks 2

I personally find spvp engaging and fun , that's why I play it. I personally couldn't say that the balance is terrible as people describe it , I know that probably noone will agree on the forum with me , but I personally find the balance actually quite decent compared to other MMOs (off course it could be better, I wish they did more frequent balance tunings) , but to answer the question I just find enjoyment in spvp and that's why I play it.

Edited by razaelll.8324
  • Haha 1

Answering the OP question:

• Rewards
  • Sometimes a bit of fun, sometimes a bit of frustration
  • I completely stopped caring about ranking, I only care about playing well, so losses are not that stressful anymore - there is really no point caring about ranking in a PVP system that heavily incentivizes playing FOTM builds and match manipulation.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sundoor.5630 said:

Answering the OP question:

• Rewards
  • Sometimes a bit of fun, sometimes a bit of frustration
  • I completely stopped caring about ranking, I only care about playing well, so losses are not that stressful anymore - there is really no point caring about ranking in a PVP system that heavily incentivizes playing FOTM builds and match manipulation.

I think this is true for everyone bar the top 150 on the leaderboards.

Yet still almost all the rewards cater to this TINY fraction of the community.

• Like 1