[Unscientific Poll]: How would you rate your enjoyment of this beta?

How would you rate your enjoyment of this beta?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which choice best describes your experience in this beta.

• I preferred this beta over the normal WvW.
    • I preferred the normal WvW over this beta.
    • I am indifferent, and have no preference between the two.
  2. 2. Are you looking forward to the next beta?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't care.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/25/2023 at 12:56 AM

Only thing I've noticed since this beta is how my server is dead now.

It's scraping the bottom of the barrel, all the good players left through alliances, night time is completely dead, where as we used to have a night squad.

Can't even get a full squad going in the daytime, and even then we don't stand a chance anymore, because all the best players are stacked against us, beating us 8 to 1 in points.

None of the usual commanders that I got to know are around anymore, I don't see any of the recognizable guilds that would lead our server anymore.

I can't be the only one feeling this way.

Please remove Alliances.

• Like 2

It was insanely boring all week. FWIW I got assigned to Stonefall so we were against Phoenix Dawn and Moogooloo. 90% of the time it was 40-man+ enemy blobs. Roaming was dead af (worse than normal). Very very few small-scale fights. WvW content is very seldom of great quality but this was noticeably worse. Of all the restructuring betas, I think I remember one being really great for fights but all the others have been horribly boring.

• Like 3

If the assumption is the next beta will be similar to this one I guess a big "meh" or maybe a slight "yay faster reward track".

In terms of actually creating servers to produce fun... I didn't really quite see it especially at the end of this second week. Outside of EBG it was a struggle to find large groups that weren't lopsided where we had 30 they had 50, we had 50 and they had 35.... variations of that essentially.

If Arena Net doesn't have data gathering pieces to know who is commanding, how many people they get on average, etc... as well as play time, hours of play and players per hour then I'm not sure what the point of this beta was.

I'm not trying to be discouraging to Arena Net here - love the game overall. Best casual pve, best open world pve, a really good community, unique lore thanks to launching at the same time as World of Warcraft (GW1 2005) as opposed to being a derivative of it. Beautiful music, fractals as some of the best dungeon entry content in any game. Tons of cosmetics that you can earn in game. No subscription. Relatively horizontal progression so that someone brand new getting to 80 can step into any content if they are skilled enough.

But the combat system (and lack of matchmaking tools) has made it hard for people to access certain end game content.... especially pvp.

A commander will struggle to understand why his zerg is not succeeding. People will be unsure what to do in a zerg. Even in 5v5 or roaming it's hard to understand what you are doing or what is being done to you. And most people will quit before having dozens of hours of getting destroyed. That's the problem at its core. There is not enough incentive when you are being destroyed to continue staying for an eventual payoff. Worse - people who see you will often mock you. They can't kick you like in a raid or a strike but they can mock you, exclude you to an extent.

I was First Haven. You could feel the interest in playing waning in week 2. We struggled to get commanders at times.

So what can be done? The combat system isn't about to change. Maybe I'd suggest if it's all possible working on better matchmaking and organization tools for raids/strikes and extending a project like that to WvW. That way commanders can make requests for certain builds. "I want a boon/healer", "I want ranged DPS", "I want melee DPS", "need someone who provides stability" and filling out slot requests based on logic like that. Make it visible to the playerbase. Because if you look at why and where Guild Wars 2 has been successful - open world. It's because people can just team up and it's easy and fluid. Get the players engaged and having fun in WvW and they will keep playing, they will fill guilds, they will start to get on discord voice chats. Make it easy and fluid like the open world by providing tools for commanders and players to find each other so they feel they're contributing and relevant. The LFG under friends and stuff is clunky and outdated. A lot of MMOs have matchmaker systems that do things for you. You could base who to match where based on their stat distribution or their runes or weapons or some mix or something. Warn the player queueing "hey you're going in as a DPS" or "you're going in as a healer" but otherwise they get sent in to a queue and matched.

Sorry for the long post but yeah. I would say it was okay outside of EBG being hard to access. If I'm looking forward to the next one it is only because it provides bonus reward track and not because I think the matchups were better.

Edited by Leger.3724
  • Thanks 2

eight out of nine matches where Green Team completely outscored Blue or Red (or whatever color) 👀

and the one single match where Teams were quite equal in score just means that Green was dominating at 4 pm, Blue at 6 pm and they just swapped domination constantly

so, guess what I've voted 😏

I guess EotM will be the new competitive mode then 🫠

1 hour ago, enkidu.5937 said:

eight out of nine matches where Green Team completely outscored Blue or Red (or whatever color) 👀

and the one single match where Teams were quite equal in score just means that Green was dominating at 4 pm, Blue at 6 pm and they just swapped domination constantly

so, guess what I've voted 😏

I guess EotM will be the new competitive mode then 🫠

Is this some kind of alternate reality?  🤷‍♂️

In the 4 NA matches, green won one of them. They lost two. One they got 2nd place.
In the 5 EU matches, green won one of them. They lost two. Two they got 2nd place.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I picked indifferent bc it was about the same as recent matchups, meaning pretty fun but not worth more than an afternoon each weekend. But sometimes matchups under the current system are just tragically bad, so I picked looking forward to next beta bc I'll take consistently meh over usually meh but sometimes awful . . .

Kind of surprised to see so many negative results tbh, but tough to argue with the statistical relevance of twenty-six self-selected replies ; )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheIceman.1039 said:

I'm from North EU, been on NA servers since the beginning. At least I've never had any noticeable lag.

I'm from North EU, been on NA servers since the beginning. I have about 100 higher ping to my NA account than my EU account. And similar in other games (since I tend to play with friends in both sides of the big pond).

And not every place on either continent have access to as good internet with as few bottlenecks as we do up here in the north. Forcing everyone to play on a single data centre will force between 100-200 ms to half the player-base. Including those that already are on poor connections with 200+ ms, that are going to find that unplayable. 

• Like 1

I prefered the beta since my server is onlà alive 2 hours per day. But only zerging.

I now realize how beta, even if it was far from perfect, was so much better.

But I don’t care playing beta, the alliance system need to quit beta state or something done more than artificialy encourage people to play with "double EXPM" or "more rewards".

Edited by Ultima.5280
  • Haha 1