Warriors getting Staff in Expansion 4!! Whats your ideas for it?

Knighthonor.4061

Staff auto attack:

• Chain 1: Smash the stick over your enemy's head, breaking it in two and causing nearby enemies to bleed.
  • Chain 2: Throw half of the splintered stick, inflicting nearby enemies with confusion.
  • Chain 3: Shove the other half of the splintered stick up their.... inflicting torment.

After that, you just weapon swap to a real weapon.

• Haha 16
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It better be a kittening support weapon with condi that isn't bleeding on it. We don't need another cc or power weapon.

Support and Condi are definitely the niches we need filled. And a two-hander fits in for both, since we atleast have some main-hand/off-hand option for most other combination.

I just have trouble imagining a non-magical staff used for support. It's going to be a base warrior weapon, so presumably a purely physical weapon with no berserker/spellbreaker/bladesworn flare.

It'll be a ranged weapon:

1. Fling stick

2. Hurl stick like a spear

3. Throw stick up in the air and stick comes down in pieces hitting in random AoEs

4. Swing heavy stick that flies a shorter distance and clangs on the ground with a big shockwave

5. Pogo stick leap

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

Support and Condi are definitely the niches we need filled. And a two-hander fits in for both, since we atleast have some main-hand/off-hand option for most other combination.

I just have trouble imagining a non-magical staff used for support. It's going to be a base warrior weapon, so presumably a purely physical weapon with no berserker/spellbreaker/bladesworn flare.

I’m thinking ground pounding with the staff to provide aoe boons. Like a skill titled something like “Battle Rhythm” and you channel damage and boons while you use it. It’s gonna have to be sort of a tribal vibe for it to work I think.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

Well shouts are a rallying/morale like effect, as are banners. Nothing stopping Anet from adding something like that to staff. And theoretically every profession uses magic in the game, even warrior.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

I’m thinking ground pounding with the staff to provide aoe boons. Like a skill titled something like “Battle Rhythm” and you channel damage and boons while you use it. It’s gonna have to be sort of a tribal vibe for it to work I think.

Oh I could kind of picture that.

I just hope we get some new animation for it.  My biggest disappointment with Daredevil staff was how weird and wonky all the animations looked. 

The bo staff is a beautiful weapon when used in real life.  In game, it is not.

I get that capacity of devs is limited and re-using animations from other melee weapons is an efficient use of dev time, but it's still disappointing.

• Like 1

They can't even fix the already existing weapobs🥱

Unless it's a pure support weapon, then there's no point,

I don't want another off hand axe/off hand dagger/off hand pistol situation

Not to mention the fact that, warrior weapon share is so pointless compared to other classes

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Haha 5

I have no ideas for the staff... because I don't get wishcasting that kind of thing...

...but, I'm really hopeful for the staff to be fun.  My two favorite weapons conceptually in games are hammer and spear... and after over a year trying to love hammer and failing (admittedly that was some time ago.  We now call each other on holidays to check in, and our mutual friends don't feel so awkward dividing their time between us), as well as having little hope for a spear (UNLESS they make aerial combat function similar to underwater combat), I'm willing to settle for a staff that looks like a spear that treats me right and I can look forward to coming home to after work.

~EpWA

Honestly,

I want the aa chain to inflict torment and weakness. ( torment x1 3s, weakness 2s, torment x2 3s)

I want Staff 2 to be a 4s CD blast finisher that inflicts AoE slow and grants barrier. And it is a high upkeep of slow.

I want Staff 3 to be a flurry of thrusts that inflict poison, 6 strikes within 3/4s. Unconditionally cleanses conditions from allies in the area, more if the struck target has slow.

I want Staff 4 to be a ground targeted leap (900 range) AoE blast finisher that grants protection and regeneration in an AoE. Struck foes are confused with several stacks (6/3 PvE/Comp) for 4s.

I want Staff 5 to be a very fast 1200 range projectile that immobilizes the foe and copies it's conditions to nearby foes. Allies in the area near the warrior gain barrier (3500) and resolution for 4s.

I want Staff F1 to be a ground targeted 1200 range throw that leaves a pulsing water field (2s/3s/4s T1/T2/T3) that pulses 500/250 (0.5/0.25 scaling) healing and grants resistance for 1s per pulse.

But I bet that what Anet actually does will be DoA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm hoping the staff will be similar to how banners were weapon bundles back in the day. The auto would be melee and the other skills would buff allies and weaken enemies. The staff skills could be given a battle standard visual effect similar to how necro's get a scythe. 

So with this idea and if they ever give us a healing banner, we could become the ultimate bannerslave! :D

6 hours ago, Leo G.4501 said:

It'll be a ranged weapon:

1. Fling stick

2. Hurl stick like a spear

3. Throw stick up in the air and stick comes down in pieces hitting in random AoEs

4. Swing heavy stick that flies a shorter distance and clangs on the ground with a big shockwave

5. Pogo stick leap

you may be trying to be funny, but I would actually use that. It sounds fun

4 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Honestly,

I want the aa chain to inflict torment and weakness. ( torment x1 3s, weakness 2s, torment x2 3s)

I want Staff 2 to be a 4s CD blast finisher that inflicts AoE slow and grants barrier. And it is a high upkeep of slow.

I want Staff 3 to be a flurry of thrusts that inflict poison, 6 strikes within 3/4s. Unconditionally cleanses conditions from allies in the area, more if the struck target has slow.

I want Staff 4 to be a ground targeted leap (900 range) AoE blast finisher that grants protection and regeneration in an AoE. Struck foes are confused with several stacks (6/3 PvE/Comp) for 4s.

I want Staff 5 to be a very fast 1200 range projectile that immobilizes the foe and copies it's conditions to nearby foes. Allies in the area near the warrior gain barrier (3500) and resolution for 4s.

I want Staff F1 to be a ground targeted 1200 range throw that leaves a pulsing water field (2s/3s/4s T1/T2/T3) that pulses 500/250 (0.5/0.25 scaling) healing and grants resistance for 1s per pulse.

But I bet that what Anet actually does will be DoA.

I can work with that.

Polearm ( Staff ) Skill concept:

AA Chain: Polearm Slice -> Slices at your foe, tormenting them with a wicked wound.
Upward Slash -> Aggravated the wounds of your foe with a upward slash, tormenting them more.
Weakening Thrust -> Thrusts your Polearm at your foe, weakening enemies in front of you.
Range: 150. Delays: 1/2s, 1/2s, 1s.
( The animations are a diagonal left to right downward slice, then a smaller right to left upward slice until the dead center of the enemy, and finally a powerful AoE thrust with a cool animation. )

Skill 2: Defensive Slash -> Spins your Polearm in a arcing motion, striking enemies around you, slowing them and granting you and allies with Barrier. 4s Cooldown. Combo Finisher: Blast. Radius: 150. Delay 3/4s.

Skill 3: Tactician's Assault -> Stabs ferociously in front of you with a poisoned spear in a vicious but controled display of aggression, applying Poison to enemies and cleansing conditions off allies, more conditions are cleansed if the enemies are Slowed. Cooldown: 12s. Range: 150. Delay 2s.

Skill 4: "Suppress, Galvanize" -> Leaps to target area. At the impact, you stab the ground with your Polearm, confusing Enemies as the earth shatters below them, and granting Protection and Regeneration to your allies. Cooldown: 18s. Range: 600. Evade 1/2s. Delay 1s.

Skill 5: "Beyond My Gaze, Within My Reach" -> Throws a magical spear at the enemy target, immobilizing it. The spear then explodes, copying the target's conditions to nearby foes. Allies near the Warrior gain Barrier and Resolution. Cooldown: 22s. Range: 1200. Delay: 1s.

Burst: "Stand As One." -> Throws a magical spear to the targeted area, causing damage to enemies, and leaving an area at the point of impact of pulsing healing waters that grant Resistance and Regeneration to allies. Combo Field: Water. Cooldown: 8s. Range: 1200. Delay: 3/4s.

-------------

The idea is simple: Make the Staff a bit longer range than other weapons ( 150 base range ), while behaving like a tactician's poleaxe/polearm. The attacks are relatively speedy, but they are also easily avoidable, the cds are long for the most utilitary cds, and the weapon would perform ok for condi bruiser builds with support. I for one like what Ian did here, i would argue that the CDs should be longer at least for 3/4/5 and Burst. Also, the weapon would probably have to have okayish power coefficients so it would be a hybrid i guess?

Edited by Shadowpeixera.2918

I don't think I would waste the money on it knowing our lucky warrior chances we would probably get stuck with a kittenized version of daredevil staff with 3 times the extra hoops to jump through and it would be slower then using the hammer before the quickness addition. That or a ele staff that they shall only give us animations like we are doing something but in turn we are just holding the stick and making hand signals in the air. Like a cheap banner design that was added prior to the we should probably fix this initiative 🤷‍♂️

Staff is going to be the commander weapon. You will target allies and enemies and grant buffs or debuffs to them and greatly impact your teams efficiency. Solo, it'll be worthless. That's my guess. We've needed a support weapon on warrior as much as we needed a good ranged weapon. They don't want to give warriors good range, and there's no need for another melee bruiser weapon. 

• Confused 1