Necromancer getting dual Swords in Expansion 4!! excited. Whats your ideas for it?

Knighthonor.4061

Melee condi DPS weapons is a niche that hasn't been filled yet so that's an obvious option. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the boon corruption from offhand dagger comes back on the offhand sword but in melee range.

An actual movement skill is another niche that doesn't exist for Necro weapons on land, but maybe a less likely feature. If it does happen then it'll probably be something like Dark Spear (Necro spear 5) where there's a skill animation and projectile travel before the movement.

On a selfish note, I want them to be power weapons so I could run greatsword + sword/sword.

The only thing I really don't want to see is a mismatched power/condi set like daggers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Batalix.2873 said:

WHY OFFHAND.

Why does NECRO have an offhand Sword but not Thief?

I swear these developers are throwing darts.

No, I doubt they let them have anything sharp. They probably roll dice...nope...they might choke on those...maybe they spin a wheel?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

This should be an uproar...not praise.....acceptance!!

Since when did Necromancer Profession role...being a backline and a mid role (aside from Reaper) ever crossed other Profession roles like melee roles?

It is beyond Disgraceful for this new Anet to completely continue to repetitively and continually.. disregard..disrespect,, the fundamental core roles of Guild Wars Professions from its predecessor; Guild Wars 1. 

The former Anet layed the foundation, you destroyed it!!

I Am Appalled!!

It Is Atrociously.. Despicable!!

This new Anet should Be Extremally Ashamed Of Itself!!

Sorry but GW2 isn't gw1.

I never played gw1 and I never will. GW2 is its own game. Yes there are parallels. For example the story.

But that doesn't mean everything has to be exactly the same as in gw1.

If you're not happy with it and only see gw1 as be all end all, go back to that game. It's still running.

But we are in GW2 now. "Fresh" game.

New game, new rules. And the devs create those rules not you.

And noone forces you to play certain weapons. If you don't like sword/sword on Necro -> don't play it

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

Since when did Necromancer Profession role...being a backline and a mid role (aside from Reaper) ever crossed other Profession roles like melee roles?

Since 2005 at the latest, and I'm pretty sure that touch skills and other abilities that would pull a necromancer into melee to use them were present in the 2004 alpha.

And that's before we even consider secondary profession use. While more commonly the other way around, I remember sword N/W being a thing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

This should be an uproar...not praise.....acceptance!!

It is beyond Disgraceful for this new Anet to completely continue to repetitively and continually.. disregard..disrespect,, the fundamental core roles of Guild Wars Professions from its predecessor; Guild Wars 1. 

The former Anet layed the foundation, you destroyed it!!

I Am Appalled!!

It Is Atrociously.. Despicable!!

This new Anet should Be Extremally Ashamed Of Itself!!

Are u fine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bale.3851 said:

Are u fine?

Burnfall's soapbox is refusing to accept that GW2 was always marketed as a game where your role wasn't determined by your profession and wanting to see classes all sorted into neat little boxes like classic MMOs.

When even in GW1, the only profession that was so tightly defined was monk (and maybe warrior?) Although the distinction is that in GW1 you often used secondary professions as the means to break out, while in GW2, all of your tools for achieving role versatility have to come from one profession.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

With espec weapons going "core" with a mastery, the amount of niches each class has yet to get filled is getting smaller and smaller...

...I got nothing.
At least two of our core weapons need some looking into, if they ever want to be considered next to GS for melee and Pistol for ranged. What do axe and dagger MH offer that those don't got? What do they need in future updates to get "their thing"? And once that is done, what is left for sword/sword to do?

I like the visuals of necrosword kinda, yeah, but nothing instantly springs to mind as elemental to the image.

3 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

With espec weapons going "core" with a mastery, the amount of niches each class has yet to get filled is getting smaller and smaller...

...I got nothing.
At least two of our core weapons need some looking into, if they ever want to be considered next to GS for melee and Pistol for ranged. What do axe and dagger MH offer that those don't got? What do they need in future updates to get "their thing"? And once that is done, what is left for sword/sword to do?

Axe is far superior to pistol for strike damage, so that's not really a concern.

• Like 1

Personally what I#d really like to see is something.. well.. necromantic, I guess?

Some minion synergy or theme would be cool...
but I know it won't happen because minions are really bad and not well liked.

I like the whole dark wizard/alchemist thematic we have now, but for me personally I'd like to have a way to play minions that doesn't handycap me and my whole group. 😅

Whatever we get, it will be interesting... at least for a little while. 😁

• Like 11

I see a lot of people saying melee condi as if necro isn't mostly condi right now outside of reaper. If I were to guess it will be a power weapon on the main hand at least, especially when you consider the last two weapons were condi. I'd love a block or something that lets necro actually melee fight but we probably wont get it. So I am guessing a power weapon with boon strip and maybe some kind of evade on the off hand with a potential condi application.  There is every chance it will be a hybrid weapon like the staff too which I actually would love the most.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I'm also hoping for fancy visuals. They could go a bit left field and make it work kind of like the firebrand guardian axe: using necro sword you get a summoned spectral green sword that attacks when you do.

Mechanically, I think it'd be cool if both swords focused more on strike damage, rather than condi. This is the current set up we have:

• Support/Utility weapons: Dagger/Warhorn/Focus/Staff (I think they need to buff the support capabilities of all 4 with more direct healing on dagger, boons for warhorn and focus and a water field on staff)
  • Condi weapons: Pistol/Scepter/Dagger/Torch (OH dagger 5 may need some torment now that it doesn't corrupt, but we have a full set for condi builds)
  • Strike weapons: Greatsword/Axe (Clearly missing options here, especially an OH dps option)

With this in mind: OH sword should be based on strike damage (if we add the spectral sword it could work both at range and even better at melee) and MH sword could go either condi, strike or hybrid melee damage.

• Like 1

Warning: this post includes product placement.

Credit where credit is due - at least a-net is throwing necro a bone and giving it full weapon set.
More then i can say for last two expac where we got one offhand  and one mainhand...

That being said necro was always the outsider who didn't cater to mainstream trends. Including not using the sword everyone else uses already. There are a ton of other weapons that need more professions using them.

I for one would like to see another two hander in necro's arsenal, as so far all we have is the staff (which suc...i mean promotes shroud play) and greatsword which is tied to reaper, least until you bail it out for 25 euros come this august.

Shortbow needs more users. Longbow might be cool (imagine longbow porting on necro). Hammer could also be very cool, given how every hammer ever is a pure power weapon (asides catalyst maybe, but we don't talk catalyst here - this is a trauma free safe space). Necro might be able to take a more hybrid spin on it.
I just can't get excited for swords of all things..

Ah no wait. I make my ingame gold making and selling legendary sword from time to time. Ok I'm hyped!

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076

Seeing how GS and MH dagger are all focused on power melee, I can only say that it'd make sense if MH sword was condi-based and offhand Sword was power based. we lack a solid power-offhand, and we lack a solid melee condi-weapon. so my prediction is that it's going to be based on those damage types in that way. As for the theme they'll use, vampire is already used by dagger and reaper is already used by GS so lifesteal and cc is probably out of the window. we could see a potential healer/support type of weapon, necro doesn't really have one of those yet. Staff 2 has regen but it'd be a bit of a long shot to say staff thereby is a 'support' weapon. MH dagger is currently used in support builds, but only because of the strong LF-generation it has. Ultimately MH dagger is more of a bruiser/LF-generating tool. Axe and offhand focus both are into boonrips as is scepter 3 and dagger 3, so I can imagine they're skipping on those elements as well. Offhand dagger is about condi-transfer as is staff so that niche is probably also decently fulfilled.

My final guess would be: MH Sword is condi-based melee. Offhand Sword is Power-based. Theme is a bit up in the air, but it's likely Sword will be more directly about supporting allies. Right now, the combination of these traits is where Necro very clearly lacks any clear options. They've focused on torment for a while (both harbinger and scourge), I can imagine that, in this context, they'll be going for bleeds on the AA. All I hope is that, if my predictions turn out to be true, they take a very long and hard look at the exact difference between sword and dagger. I do believe we have space for one more melee weapon, but only if they make the difference very clear. I still think that MH dagger should be properly adjusted to take the space of 'support weapon through lifestealing'. if they end up giving Sword respectable LF-generation MH dagger is probably going to completely fall off, as Sword will be able to generate enough LF while also doing a lot more DPS. The more I think about the introduction of yet another melee weapon, the more I'm convinced we need a major rebalancing/reshuffling to give each traitline and each weapon their own distinctive niche.

edit: thinking about it, necro doesn't really have a minionmancer weapon or something relates to the skeleton theme, so that could be a potential avenue to explore.

Edited by Darth Pooh.5638
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I for one would like to see another two hander in necro's arsenal, as so far all we have is the staff (which suc...i mean promotes shroud play) and greatsword which is tied to reaper, least until you bail it out for 25 euros come this august.

I'd be seriously stoked if they ever give Necro access to Rifle. I've always wanted to be able to use the minigun-skin with my necro. It even comes with a skull on top!

6 hours ago, Darth Pooh.5638 said:

My final guess would be: MH Sword is condi-based melee. Offhand Sword is Power-based. Theme is a bit up in the air, but it's likely Sword will be more directly about supporting allies. Right now, the combination of these traits is where Necro very clearly lacks any clear options. They've focused on torment for a while (both harbinger and scourge), I can imagine that, in this context, they'll be going for bleeds on the AA. All I hope is that, if my predictions turn out to be true, they take a very long and hard look at the exact difference between sword and dagger. I do believe we have space for one more melee weapon, but only if they make the difference very clear. I still think that MH dagger should be properly adjusted to take the space of 'support weapon through lifestealing'. if they end up giving Sword respectable LF-generation MH dagger is probably going to completely fall off, as Sword will be able to generate enough LF while also doing a lot more DPS. The more I think about the introduction of yet another melee weapon, the more I'm convinced we need a major rebalancing/reshuffling to give each traitline and each weapon their own distinctive niche.

That's pretty much my thinking: dagger and greatsword are both primarily power, but while necro has several ranged condi mainhands, it doesn't have a melee condi weapon.

19 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

That's pretty much my thinking: dagger and greatsword are both primarily power, but while necro has several ranged condi mainhands, it doesn't have a melee condi weapon.

If this does turn out to be true, in the end I do hope they stick to torment for the condi-damage. The main reason for this is that, since the other condi-builds also rely (quite) heavily on torment, it makes it all a *lot* easier to really design a build that integrates well with what we currently have. If they do go with bleeds we do have the trait from curses, but there's not a lot of other traits that really build on lots of bleeds. all i can think of is maybe blood bond, deathly chill. at that point it would get dangerously close to condi GS. no matter what they end up choosing, now we probably get more condi-weapons they really should look into reworking lingering curse. It made somewhat sense before since scepter was the only really solid condi-dps option. but with the introduction of torch, pistol, condi GS, possibly MH sword they really need to rework it into something that can give expertise instead of focusing so hard on only scepter.

Edited by Darth Pooh.5638