Necromancer getting dual Swords in Expansion 4!! excited. Whats your ideas for it?

Knighthonor.4061

5 hours ago, Darth Pooh.5638 said:

If this does turn out to be true, in the end I do hope they stick to torment for the condi-damage. The main reason for this is that, since the other condi-builds also rely (quite) heavily on torment, it makes it all a *lot* easier to really design a build that integrates well with what we currently have. If they do go with bleeds we do have the trait from curses, but there's not a lot of other traits that really build on lots of bleeds. all i can think of is maybe blood bond, deathly chill. at that point it would get dangerously close to condi GS. no matter what they end up choosing, now we probably get more condi-weapons they really should look into reworking lingering curse. It made somewhat sense before since scepter was the only really solid condi-dps option. but with the introduction of torch, pistol, condi GS, possibly MH sword they really need to rework it into something that can give expertise instead of focusing so hard on only scepter.

I'm not sure I agree with that (apart from making Lingering Curse less sceptre-focused - it's probably ripe to become a 'gain expertise, gain additional expertise with sceptre' trait).  Condition necros normally run a mix of Curses, Soul Reaping, and a third line (usually scourge or harbinger). The only trait I can see that builds off Torment is Demonic Lore, and Scourge on the whole has more traits related to burning. Doom Approaches on harbinger generates torment, but harbinger doesn't really have any traits that make torment a better condition for harbinger than any other.

I could also see ArenaNet deciding that it's important for a melee condi weapon to work with reaper. Using greatsword on a condi reaper for the chills is cute, but in practice, making a condi weapon out of a power weapon that dishes out a few trait-proccing chills only seems to have gone so far.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:06 PM, Mara.6782 said:

Condi melee weapon maybe. We don't have one yet. I want leaps or teleport skills.

why want another condi weapon, have you considered we have 2 condi main hands and* offhands each, but literally 1 power main hand and no offand (in pve atleast)

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 6/28/2023 at 12:56 PM, Asur.2510 said:

Melee condi DPS weapons is a niche that hasn't been filled yet so that's an obvious option. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the boon corruption from offhand dagger comes back on the offhand sword but in melee range.

An actual movement skill is another niche that doesn't exist for Necro weapons on land, but maybe a less likely feature. If it does happen then it'll probably be something like Dark Spear (Necro spear 5) where there's a skill animation and projectile travel before the movement.

On a selfish note, I want them to be power weapons so I could run greatsword + sword/sword.

The only thing I really don't want to see is a mismatched power/condi set like daggers.

what? no its not a niche that doesn't need to be fulfilled, necro lacks mainhand/offhand power weapons, necro has a good amount of condi weapons already that are  good too

Edited by necromaniac.7629
  • Confused 5

6 minutes ago, necromaniac.7629 said:

what? no its not a niche that doesn't need to be fulfilled, necro lacks mainhand/offhand power weapons, necro has s food amount of condi weapons already that are already good too

The necromancer lack a cleaving condi melee main hand and a strike damage off hand weapon. Considering that the e-specs weapons lose their restrictions we got:

• MH Strike damage: Axe, Dagger, GS
  • MH Condi damage: Scepter, Pistol
  • OH Strike damage: Focus
  • OH Condi damage: Dagger, Torch.
  • Utility: Warhorn, Staff.

Well, one could also say that the necromancer lack a MH utility weapon and I wouldn't be against a Sword main hand providing mobility as utility but I doubt it will ever happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

So the Untamed hammer has different skills you can choose if you're not using the untamed during the beta. What if that's the direction arena net is going with the new weapons? Giving each of them a set of a handful of skills we could choose. So they're effectively the same skills but have different rider effects..

• Like 1

I'm excited, I'm hoping the complement reaper well, I really like the idea of a dark knight/death knight theme and dual swords/greatswords would def fit, just hope they have at least some mobility baked into the kit. Also wish gravedigger was redesigned into a leap, kno it will never happen but can hope. Be awesome if the swords had a block and a port.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107

On 7/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, Lily.1935 said:

So the Untamed hammer has different skills you can choose if you're not using the untamed during the beta. What if that's the direction arena net is going with the new weapons? Giving each of them a set of a handful of skills we could choose. So they're effectively the same skills but have different rider effects..

This is actually a quite good idea. I like the build your own setup thing. Hope something like this goes live.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:06 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Since 2005 at the latest, and I'm pretty sure that touch skills and other abilities that would pull a necromancer into melee to use them were present in the 2004 alpha.

And that's before we even consider secondary profession use. While more commonly the other way around, I remember sword N/W being a thing.

I remember running a N/D build for a good while in GW1. Meleemancers have been a thing for a long time now.

On 7/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, Lily.1935 said:

Could be interesting. Horrible to balance and really bad to play against in competitive modes, because you aren't able to tell by the weapon, what your opponent can do

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

Could be interesting. Horrible to balance and really bad to play against in competitive modes, because you aren't able to tell by the weapon, what your opponent can do

Well, that depends. The Untamed hammer skills all have the same animations and area of effect. Its just the rider effects are different like daze or boons. If its going in that direction were they're similar to each other similar to how the rune system works in Diablo 3 I don't think it would be too much of an issue. It does mean they have to think on their feet a bit more, but how good or bad you think that is depends on the person. Some people like thinking on their feet more like that others don't.

Two main ideas I have are:

OH: A weapon with a block or an evade of some kind. Activite mitigation is a big problem for necromancer in anything PvP when the meta becomes power-based and more explosive, so having an option here would be welcome.

MH or both Swords: I think anything here goes, but I think a very interesting angle to take would be Swords, in addition to regular functionality, empowering existing non-player allied characters/specifically minions. Making them do special attack, healing them, giving them superspeed. In general, utilizing Minions in more active gameplay - or even spawning new Minions/non-minions.

Throughout the years, that's probably the one area Necromancer has always been lacking in and not living up to it's class name. With action combat in mind, we don't want passive pets to be too relevant, but making their attacks/specials active and tied to Player's animations/attack (aka weapons)? Seems like a win to me.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:38 PM, Lily.1935 said:

Well, that depends. The Untamed hammer skills all have the same animations and area of effect. Its just the rider effects are different like daze or boons. If its going in that direction were they're similar to each other similar to how the rune system works in Diablo 3 I don't think it would be too much of an issue. It does mean they have to think on their feet a bit more, but how good or bad you think that is depends on the person. Some people like thinking on their feet more like that others don't.

Having the same animation is even worse.

Imagine you are in pvp and someone uses a skill that you recognize the animation of.

But the skill could have two effects,:

1: does very little dmg, applies cripple and gives the user protection.

2: does very heavy dmg and potentially kills you. 

Now imagine you only have one dodge left. What do you do?

You see the problem I have there. If those skills have different animations - maybe. But I really don't think, that would be a great idea.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Rym.1469 said:

OH: A weapon with a block or an evade of some kind. Activite mitigation is a big problem for necromancer in anything PvP when the meta becomes power-based and more explosive, so having an option here would be welcome.

The PvP playerbase would have an instant conniption. "OMG, the two-health-bar class just got block, LOL, OP!"

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, the best option here is hybrid main hand sword and full power off hand sword. We do have solid options for off hand condition weapons in the form of torch and dagger but absolutely zero when it comes to power. 

We are actually lacking a valid dps option for power as well, aside from the greatsword, so main hand sword being a viable power weapon would be much appreciated. Also, I would appreciate seeing POISON as the main condition. Death magic has a lot of traits that are supposed to work well with poison but the class lacks the ability to apply it reliably and consistently 

As for the gameplay, they should aim to create a more mobile and quick gameplay but without going too far. Necromancer is powerful, slow and can absorb immense amounts of damage, lack defensive options and low mobility should remain as the main weak points of the class.

Overall I have a good feeling about this. Necromancer has access to few weapons and has a lot of areas that need to be addressed and double sword could make the class immensely better, funnier and more versatile in all game modes

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Akiraha.4518 said:

In my opinion, the best option here is hybrid main hand sword and full power off hand sword. We do have solid options for off hand condition weapons in the form of torch and dagger but absolutely zero when it comes to power. 

We are actually lacking a valid dps option for power as well, aside from the greatsword, so main hand sword being a viable power weapon would be much appreciated. Also, I would appreciate seeing POISON as the main condition. Death magic has a lot of traits that are supposed to work well with poison but the class lacks the ability to apply it reliably and consistently 

As for the gameplay, they should aim to create a more mobile and quick gameplay but without going too far. Necromancer is powerful, slow and can absorb immense amounts of damage, lack defensive options and low mobility should remain as the main weak points of the class.

Overall I have a good feeling about this. Necromancer has access to few weapons and has a lot of areas that need to be addressed and double sword could make the class immensely better, funnier and more versatile in all game modes

hybrid weapon option would be nice yes. Adding damage conditions and so, but not burn. Because burn has the effect to even have great effect on power builds, which I dislike.

sword wont be an everyday slashy slashy it will instead summon a cauldron and you stir it with swords doing splash damage in a ??? radius and skill 3 will summon skeletons from said cauldron that dance around you inflicting weakness and vuln on anything nearby for lols. seems much more fun than basic and boring swordsmanship. if u want teleporting swords play willbender. think outside the box sheeple 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1