Necromancer getting dual Swords in Expansion 4!! excited. Whats your ideas for it?

Knighthonor.4061

On 8/29/2023 at 6:12 PM, Yasai.3549 said:

Want it to be abit of a mid-close ranged hybrid, using the Sword as a sort of "arcane slashy thing" 

It'll be a huge bonus if it has one decent 600 range gapcloser.

It would be redundant with axe/scepter/pistol who are already mid-range.

But gap closer absolutely. I assume it'll be a melee condition weapon. But then with scourge doing 49k benchmark, don't really need more powerful condition weapons xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

It would be redundant with axe/scepter/pistol who are already mid-range.

But gap closer absolutely. I assume it'll be a melee condition weapon. But then with scourge doing 49k benchmark, don't really need more powerful condition weapons xD

Scourge is merely taking advantage of new sources of torment, a condition that's already twice as strong as bleed and that scourge can buff by 33%. Change these sources to either bleed or poison and scourge disappear from the limelight.

What most necromancer feel the need for is a cleaving main hand melee weapon that apply conditions (ideally bleed which is the weakest condition of the game) and a potent strike damage off hand weapon. A minority feel the need for a weapon that would provide sustain to their party.

Most likely the necromancer won't get a weapon with a gap closer. The devs have very studbornly refused to give us such a thing for 11 years straight so the odds to get it are extremly small.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think the most realistic guess is:

Sword Mainhand = Condi close range, focus on poison / burn

Sword Offhand =  Mobility / Gapcloser + some universally usefull condition or boon, maybe even slow. Eventually a tether skill for the slow. That way you can slap mobility via an offhand weapon on any build regardless of strike / condi / support if you really need and want to and have something universally usefull as well. 

What id hope for is a decent 1200 pure strike damage range MH and OH.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 4:16 PM, Brujeria.7536 said:

Sword Offhand =  Mobility / Gapcloser + some universally usefull condition or boon, maybe even slow. Eventually a tether skill for the slow. That way you can slap mobility via an offhand weapon on any build regardless of strike / condi / support if you really need and want to and have something universally usefull as well. 

That sounds meh, it just needs to be power based for both with a range of 1200, that gives it a teleport/DMG like rev, a leap like warrior sword.

Edited by porkchopMCgee.6193
  • Like 1

I know it's kinda weird to have a sword be long range (like mesmer greatsword), but honestly a solid long range weapon (especially if it's power) is the thing we're missing the most, staff being the only 1200 range option we have, and it's more condi/support than anything.

I'd also be interested in some of the other options people suggested, make sword something that specifially supports a play style that is lacking an elite spec, like minions or something. I know some players will always hate minions and anything related to them, but it is a core aspect of the Necromancer concept that has always been kinda lacking in viability in this game, only arguably viable for some solo tanky/unkillable builds. So like if sword had some minion buffs built into it's attacks, or attacks that specifically controlled the minions in some way, like sicking them on a specific target.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:42 PM, Batalix.2873 said:

WHY OFFHAND.

Why does NECRO have an offhand Sword but not Thief?

I swear these developers are throwing darts.

We get main hand and off hand. 

Thief didn't. 

What's the problem lol how are they throwing darts, necro with dual swords is awesome lol, if u have critism concerning thief's lack of a off hand sword ur in the wrong thread. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, Puck.3697 said:

We get main hand and off hand. 

Thief didn't. 

What's the problem lol how are they throwing darts, necro with dual swords is awesome lol, if u have critism concerning thief's lack of a off hand sword ur in the wrong thread. 

They seem to have avoided giving any profession a second instance of a weapon they already have.

On top of that, I have some theories about why thief is getting axe mainhand, and why offhand sword specifically might not be a priority.

7 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

They seem to have avoided giving any profession a second instance of a weapon they already have.

On top of that, I have some theories about why thief is getting axe mainhand, and why offhand sword specifically might not be a priority.

I would say mostly due to the number of skill granted  due to the dual skill mechanic on thief and how they have gotten flack each elite spec release when a class has gotten only an offhand. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 1:03 PM, mazut.4296 said:

Hope one of them to be a healing weapon

I hope not. These are weapons without elites we have litterally nothing in our kits to mesh with a healing weapon. Given scourge even primarily focuses on barrier, not direct healing. 

Itd have to ridiculously overpowered to make up for that, and likely will get scourge nerfed in the process. 

I'm hoping for a Condi main hand and a power off hand. 

Getting no new elite means its unlikely to have high mobility or change from complimenting weapon sets we already have as its sheerly not gonna be balancable. 

Edited by Puck.3697
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Willbender got off-hand sword.  Guardian has always had main-hand.

12 hours ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

I would say mostly due to the number of skill granted  due to the dual skill mechanic on thief and how they have gotten flack each elite spec release when a class has gotten only an offhand. 

Nah. There is a specific gap that a melee weapon focusing on torment with a condition-based ambush skill could fill. More generally, the dual skill system means that having an offhand that is purely melee would be problematic when combined with a ranged mainhand, which would make coming up with a satisfying design for offhand sword...problematic.

2 hours ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

Willbender got off-hand sword.  Guardian has always had main-hand.

I was referring to the upcoming round.

18 hours ago, Boh.4568 said:

GS was power

torch was condi

pistol was condi

sword must be power

Possibly with more corrupts, crit rate, gap closers, teleports, invuln, stab and heavy CC

Thanks

Not necessarily - the original weapons loudout is biased towards power. Staff is hybrid, the original MH weapons except scepter are power, and the original OH weapons except dagger are power. There's still a distinct lack of a melee condition option.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 4:16 PM, Brujeria.7536 said:

Necros don't need anymore condi weapons and what your realist guess is not fitting, don't see how a sword would give burn 

Looking at the reveals so far (Ranger + Thief) it seems new weapons will come with their own mechanics, similar to some traitlines (like Death Magic having carapace stacks).
Given necros are getting the longer end of the stick (two weapons) we might finally get some more depth with our weapon selections, since so far weapons on necro have been pretty bland except maybe greatsword.

Yeah, after seeing that both Ranger and Thief have gotten weapons with special mechanics attached, I'm feeling very hyped for the rest of them.

I still think that some Necro weapons deserve a slight rework towards being more support oriented (looking at you Staff, Dagger, Focus and/or Warhorn), but looking at Anet's mindset of filling holes in roles I'm very unsure what role either sword will provide. In any case I think a cool mechanic could imply that rather than the Necro holding the sword, sword abilities summon a minion (or 2 one for main-hand and another one for off-hand) that fights in our stead. The minion would only auto-attack unless commanded to do another ability (2-5 skills). Therefore we wouldn't be bound to melee or range, but our minions with swords would fight for us. I think it'd be hilarious.

6 hours ago, Uete.3805 said:

Yeah, after seeing that both Ranger and Thief have gotten weapons with special mechanics attached, I'm feeling very hyped for the rest of them.

I still think that some Necro weapons deserve a slight rework towards being more support oriented (looking at you Staff, Dagger, Focus and/or Warhorn), but looking at Anet's mindset of filling holes in roles I'm very unsure what role either sword will provide. In any case I think a cool mechanic could imply that rather than the Necro holding the sword, sword abilities summon a minion (or 2 one for main-hand and another one for off-hand) that fights in our stead. The minion would only auto-attack unless commanded to do another ability (2-5 skills). Therefore we wouldn't be bound to melee or range, but our minions with swords would fight for us. I think it'd be hilarious.

If we got a 2-handed weapon, I think this could be a pretty good idea for a kit.  Maybe the auto chain will spawn a short-lived minion and the 2-5 sacrifice the oldest one for a different effect.  I don't think it works out for two one-handeds.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Like 1