Hammer without unleash

Vennyhedgie.5369

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talk about this but with the move of elite spec weapons to core, there are some outliers that have had me wondering what will happen. 

Untamed's hammer was always a weird weapon because it had an entire second kit tied with its profession mechanic. None of the other weapons did, which was clearly a lazy move on their part when designing their elite spec (oh EoD, how I hate this half assed elite spec batch). While in the past they went all the way integrating necessary mechanics like weaver's dual skills on all weapons, the "unleashed" variants for ranger were deemed too much work I guess, getting the ambush skills instead.

This has left hammer in a very strange spot, because it has half of its kit tied to unleash. Its main damage component in fact, which will now be completely unavailable if using other elite specs? As far as I can recall, the only other weapon with such an extreme case would be the elementalists' dual skills, but most of those weapons were designed without the dual skills in mind, only the sword was unique to it, and it has its own non-dual skills available anyway. But hammer would be missing literaly half of its kit. This isn't comparable to dual skills on weaver. This is more akin to not being able to use 2 of the attunements.

So, what will happen with hammer when used without untamed? Will it just be a mediocre CC weapon?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LughLongArm.5460 said:

I actually was also wondering about this issue and hoped that the unleashed damage version will be the base version. 

The problem with making it the base version is that if you are using untamed, your unleashed damage bonus is wasted on the CC variant now.

I hate from the very bottom of my heart how they handled unleashed and ambush and only-one-weapon-gets-the-good-mechanics stuff.

I do hope they take a butcher's knife to it, start cutting things up.
Standardize what skills get modified by Unleash, and apply that to *all* weapons.
If #1 retains ambush, #2 and #5 should be the Unleash skills, and those alone, and on all weapons.

20 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

I hate from the very bottom of my heart how they handled unleashed and ambush and only-one-weapon-gets-the-good-mechanics stuff.

I do hope they take a butcher's knife to it, start cutting things up.
Standardize what skills get modified by Unleash, and apply that to *all* weapons.
If #1 retains ambush, #2 and #5 should be the Unleash skills, and those alone, and on all weapons.

100% agree. 

The reality is that they SHOULD have made an unleashed mode for all weapons, but they just didn't care to for whatever reason, and that always felt incredibly unfair.

It's s also not as simple as damage vs CC.  Hammer is specifically setup to use both states and has dedicated combos by switching between them.

If they do the obvious and just have the damaging version be the version non-untamed gets, then it will be a useless weapon as you quite literally have no defenses.  

The meat and usability in hammer IS the CC and also the ambush, so they'd need to have the entire thing reworked.  I highly doubt that but this beta will be interesting...