Suggested fix to the alac/quick rabbit hole

jibs.3674

It's been quite a while since we've started getting down this rabbit hole or centering the balance patches around Quickness and Alacrity application.
This has a bunch of negative impacts (slowly getting rid of profession's identity and uniqueness being only one of them), but there is another way to do it while still assuring quickness/alacrity uptime. Hear me out.

Remove most (all if you're feeling ballsy but I think just removing the biggest ones is fine) quick/alac application from skills and traits. Instead, change some combos to apply quick/alac in an area.

• We already have "area regen", "area swiftness", etc combos, why not "area quickness" and "area alacrity" ?
  • These boons would be applied to players in the area and use the stats of the player doing the finisher
  • They seem to want to incorporate combos into rotations more and more (and I like that idea, I think combos are really cool and underused)
  • Replacing quick/alac application to be combo-based will also create fun profession interactions, where one profession will be dropping fields and the other will be blasting/leaping/etc

This will allow every single class to apply quickness/alacrity, and frees up the traits and skills to be unique and interesting.

This will create more reactive and fun gameplay for every class (especially the supports) while still allowing to provide these boons.

This will move away from a boon-centered meta balance that keeps feeling worse and worse, and keeps shackling players into rigid, non-reactive rotations

This will allow room to bring back class identity. The reason you pick a class shouldn't be because it can apply a boon easily, but it should be because its gameplay and unique features sound fun to you !

This will make quick/alac application more streamlined, and will revive builds that are never used simply beccause they can't provide them, or not as well as other classes.

There might be flaws to my idea, so please drop suggestions here, but this last patch really shows how badly we need to get out of this boon application rabbit hole !

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

This is why it should follow the same rules as the other boons.
Let's take for example regen : even dps builds can apply regen, but their regen will be applied last since it will stack in order of healing power of the player applying it.

This means if a healer and a dps both apply regen, first the regen from the healer will tick, and only when it's over will the dps' regen tick.

They can do the same thing with quick/alac being applied in order of boon duration or healing power or w.e else.
That way it doesn't really matter if dps builds blast in the fields, since their quick/alac won't proc anyway.
Again the whole point is to get more streamlined and easy access to these boons, that are already a standard requirement anyway, to leave more room for build uniqueness...

• Confused 2

Personally, the simplest fix I can think of for Druid, at least, would be to just drastically increase the alac duration so that they are not forced into CA to keep alac up.  I'd say the same for Scrapper, but I'm not close enough to that one to know if it would cause balance issues with bower quickness (although it seems like there are other builds this patch that can provide quick/alac without much DPS cost, so maybe devs wouldn't care).

These two boons have done the most destruction to builds than anything else to date, entire specs and skills and traits being reworked around them.

Enough with the dance. Time to make them baseline, or add squad buffs to the game, being in a squad gives you 100% quickness/alacrity. There, problem solved, everyone gets 100% so we can stop destroying specs, shoehorning support specs into those two roles, and move on to other things.

It's ridiculous how the game is being changed to cater to two boons for 100% uptime, there's better ways to do it, but for some reason the devs want to spend "years" of their balancing development time on these two boons.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

There has always been only one viable solution to quickness and alacrity and that's to remove them. Trying to design around them has lead to the entire game revolving around just two boons.

On a related note, I'm sick of the idea that these quickness and alacrity builds are somehow balanced dps wise because they bench lower than pure dps builds. If you have a group of two boon builds that bench 30k each and three dps builds that bench 40k each the reality is that those dps builds are only doing 20k without the boons and the actual contribution from the boon builds is 60k each.

I don't think removing the boons is either a good solution, nor it is realistic.

What I'm proposing is a way to keep things realistic and actually achievable in the current state of the game, while having the boons be streamlined, accessible by all without ruining playstyles, identity or flexibility, and promoting reactive gameplay.

I don't think my solution is perfect but I believe it is still a more interesting one than completely removing the boons  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24 minutes ago, jibs.3674 said:

I don't think removing the boons is either a good solution, nor it is realistic.

What I'm proposing is a way to keep things realistic and actually achievable in the current state of the game, while having the boons be streamlined, accessible by all without ruining playstyles, identity or flexibility, and promoting reactive gameplay.

I don't think my solution is perfect but I believe it is still a more interesting one than completely removing the boons  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A change doesn't need to be interesting in order to be a good change. It just needs to make sense and have a reason for it.

Removing the boons the best solution, and entirely realistic. Here's why:

1) You can make them baseline, and make the FEEL of each rotation feel far better than normal.

2) You're already devoting dev time to designing fights around these two boons being up all of the time, so why not have them be baseline?

3) These boons are too powerful to exist as boons. They provide a massive DPS increase, and thus reduce all kill times, making them essential for any content.

4) The hardest thing to change would be what to do with Slow. Personally, I think Slow should be deleted, but there's no reason Slow can't just stay the same.

5) Adjuating the baseline numbers for each profession is far easier than constantly swapping around traits and skills with alacrity and quickness, unless you're some kind of busy-body that really wants to keep tweaking things and making new metas every 6 months.

These boons have been a problem for years, and I have always hated the reliance on them. I've called for their removal several times in the past, and will continue to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1