Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing

Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing

• I am Pre-Ordering.
    • I am waiting till launch to see if the expansion is good.
    • I am not purchasing.

10 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

ironically u probably started raiding with 0 Li but now u feel its ok ask other to start join a raid group with 1k LI 

man u would not let urself join thats the irony.

hard for u to accept this but that's how many people experienced u raiders.  even the way how u guys talk. -why should we carry someone -why should we let everyone in our group 

u got ur dead game mode as a result.

What you keep saying about raids and its requirement is mostly baseless. A wide range of squads exists and always existed. Your attempts at fearmongering on the forum about it are generally just wrong.

And before you extend your bad assumptions onto me, I didn't raid for a long time after the raid release largely due to reading bullkitten that you're still consistently repeating here, then I started after some squads already wanted to see stacks of LI/kp, participated strictly through lfg (and still do) and what you keep describing here proved to be wrong. And, to be absolutely clear, still is. But no, I still did not expect experienced players to give me free rides, maybe that's the difference here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

ironically u probably started raiding with 0 Li but now u feel its ok ask other to start join a raid group with 1k LI 

man u would not let urself join thats the irony.

hard for u to accept this but that's how many people experienced u raiders.  even the way how u guys talk. -why should we carry someone -why should we let everyone in our group 

u got ur dead game mode as a result.

Yes and do you know what I started with zero kp group static were 8-9 people were totaly new like me.

Wiped for months on w1-4 and worked myself up to were I can fullclear raids in 1 sitting with pugs if I want to.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:11 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

I got the ultimate edition for the same reason I always do.

I buy gems periodically (and trust myself not to spend them on things I don't actually want just because I have them) so the 4,000 gems are something I'd buy anyway and on their own they'd cost £42.50.

The standard edition is £21.99. £42.50 + £21.99 = £64.49, so that means I get the deluxe edition items for 50p which is very good value even if I don't use all the items (I'll definitely use the raptor skin and the character slot).

On 7/16/2023 at 9:11 PM, Dante.1508 said:
41.08 Australian Dollar isn't..

In the past, I've used the same logic as Danikat & have bought the Ultimate edition, but this time, I'm with Dante.

The exchange rate means that I can't justify paying for any edition up front right now, let alone the 98.89$ CAD for the Ultimate edition. I'll forego the gems & prepurchase bonuses & buy the Deluxe edition on release instead, that or depending on how it all pans out, the Standard edition. 

No matter what, I want this game to survive well into the future, so will definitely continue to invest in it & buy this newest expansion, but in a more measured way. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@Stelawrat.6589 I think that's sensible.

I'm lucky in that I don't need to worry about an exchange rate, and I do have the money for it now. (That's part of why I'm pre-ordering instead of waiting until just before release - I know I can afford it either way and it means I don't have to keep remembering that money is reserved for buying the game.) I can't remember what HoT cost originally but the first time I did this it was because removing the cost of the gems bought the price down to what I'd expected to pay for a deluxe edition. Without that I'd probably have waited for a sale. I've done the same mental gymnastics each time for similar reasons. (And was very lucky that the year I couldn't afford it at all there wasn't an expansion to worry about.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I play GW2 every single day. I like new maps, I like completing achievements. I like character progression. Ordering any expansion is a no-brainer to me. I pre-ordered on the first day.

ArenaNet offers me free servers. (Free as in, no timely fee) I buy all the content. Seems like a good deal.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, aesur.1457 said:

Honestly, kind of a silly question when it comes down to  it, if you are going to continue to play a game or not is the question. Since it’s an mmo if you are going to continue to play, you want the expansion.

Well considering they are mucking things up and not listening when they said they were im not getting the expansion. Considering they are working on a new MMO and we know the team was cut severely a few years ago, they wont have the manpower to keep this game shiny, so im not investing anymore into it. They wrecked a few things and said they would fix them today, but they didnt so w/e 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Nah, the recent story is awful. The balance team is also making questionable decisions to make the game not fun to play. I was waiting to see if they'll revert the decision, but clearly they want to quadruple down on it, so nope, I'm not preordering the expansion. It just doesn't excite me like it did with EoD, simple as that.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, aesur.1457 said:

Honestly, kind of a silly question when it comes down to  it, if you are going to continue to play a game or not is the question. Since it’s an mmo if you are going to continue to play, you want the expansion.

Lots of people keep playing MMOs without buying all the expansions as soon as they come out. I often see people both on this forum and the Elder Scrolls Online forum saying they never bought one or more previous expansions and asking which version to get to pick up the stuff they're missing. (The question comes up more with ESO, but possibly because the options are less clearly labelled, there's currently 5 versions of the game available and 4 are called Necrom, you have to read through the details on each one to see what's included.) Even back when I played Ultima Online you always had to check when planning group activities in expansion maps to make sure everyone had the relevant expansion.

I'm currently playing ESO but don't have the latest expansion (which came out in May) and I'm not planning to get it soon unless there's a sale I can't pass up. I play regularly but I'm behind on the story so I don't need a new zone to go to and certainly don't have time to start another character yet to play the new class. I will get it at some point, but not yet.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Lots of people keep playing MMOs without buying all the expansions as soon as they come out

Happens in WoW all the time too, for various reasons.

For brand new players it's not even advisable to jump straight into a new xpac, they wouldn't understand anything of what's going on since they miss all previous stories/background, no matter how devs try to make a new xpac stand on its own, on top of being overwhelmed by not knowing the game at all.

Edited by Geralt.7519
typo
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

On 6/29/2023 at 1:49 PM, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I don't like an incomplete game and a MMO without all expansions feels like an incomplete game to me.

This about sums it up for me. I'll probably buy it eventually just so none of the map or other content is unavailable, but there's no rush. I only recently returned to the game and have plenty of other expansion and LW story content to get through first, so it will be a while before I even get close to that part of the storyline anyway.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, aesur.1457 said:

I've pre-ordered but what if you really only play WvW, fractals or sPvP?

Very little in this expac for those kind of players.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I've pre-ordered but what if you really only play WvW, fractals or sPvP?

Very little in this expac for those kind of players.

There's a grind/tax for a new equipment item. That's something.
(For WvW and fractals anyway. I doubt sPvP will need it.)

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

There's a grind/tax for a new equipment item. That's something.
(For WvW and fractals anyway. I doubt sPvP will need it.)

I mean, the new item is going straight into the core game, regardless of if you buy the expac or not.

If they locked the OG 6th bonuses behind the expansion, there would be a riot.

But, yeah, tomorrow determines on if/when I buy the expac. 😞 I've already been too discouraged to do more than grabbing jade runestone boxes + home instance every day, with pinata sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

I mean, the new item is going straight into the core game, regardless of if you buy the expac or not.

If they locked the OG 6th bonuses behind the expansion, there would be a riot.

I was lumping them in together since it was announced as part of the expansion. Fair point though, that it will just be part of core from there on.

6 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

But, yeah, tomorrow determines on if/when I buy the expac. 😞 I've already been too discouraged to do more than grabbing jade runestone boxes + home instance every day, with pinata sometimes.

I'm not discouraged, but I haven't pre-ordered yet and am waiting until tomorrow to decide what to do. I'm likely to buy the expansion, but at what level remains to be seen. It's important to me to see how the relic/rune issue will be handled.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Confused 3

If I'm actively playing an MMO I always buy the expansion.  So, naturally I'll preorder.  I also like to support the games I'm playing, so I purchased the ultimate package.  Having said that, my excitement level for GW2 and this expansion are at an all-time low.  I hope the new features rekindle some interest.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I was lumping them in together since it was announced as part of the expansion. Fair point though, that it will just be part of core from there on.

I'm not discouraged, but I haven't pre-ordered yet and am waiting until tomorrow to decide what to do. I'm likely to buy the expansion, but at what level remains to be seen. It's important to me to see how the relic/rune issue will be handled.

The rune/relic thing was what hit me at the worst time. The changes to the professions? I didn't like those, and I really didn't like Anet pulling the whole "give feedback that we won't even consider" again, but that wasn't the big thing for me (though I know it definitely is for other people, and I don't blame them). The rune thing...I just finished my legendary rune set a few weeks ago. 1.8k+ gold, RNG on the stupid clovers, the timegate on the provisioners tokens... I wouldn't have made them if I'd known about relics. Anet's initial response even suggests that they forgot legendary runes even existed, or that players wouldn't notice very quickly what relics would do to all the runes, let alone legendary.

Between that and how awful I found the second half of the Gyala story (I hated Champions, but I still liked it more than this one), I really haven't been very enthused about upcoming content, which makes me sad because I've played GW2 pretty hardcore since Quarantini 2020. I was going to buy the ultimate edition, the way I did EoD, but, right now, I'm waiting to see if Anet provides a compelling reason to buy it at all.

Edited by QueenKeriti.5176
fixed a word
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

The rune/relic thing was what hit me at the worst time. The changes to the professions? I didn't like those, and I really didn't like Anet pulling the whole "give feedback that we won't even consider" again, but that wasn't the big thing for me (though I know it definitely is for other people, and I don't blame them). The rune thing...I just finished my legendary rune set a few weeks ago. 1.8k+ gold, RNG on the stupid clovers, the timegate on the provisioners tokens... I wouldn't have made them if I'd known about relics. Anet's initial response even suggests that they forgot legendary runes even existed, or that players wouldn't notice very quickly what relics would do to all the runes, let alone legendary.

Between that and how awful I found the second half of the Gyala story (I hated Champions, but I still liked it more than this one), I really haven't been very enthused about upcoming content, which makes me sad because I've played GW2 pretty hardcore since Quarantini 2020. I was going to buy the ultimate edition, the way I did EoD, but, right now, I'm waiting to see if Anet provides a compelling reason to buy it at all.

This is almost exactly where I'm at. The only difference is that I was set to craft the runes about 3 days after the announcement. Now all the materials are sitting around and I'm waiting to hear tomorrow whether or not they're worth crafting anymore. Every other point is the same for me though. 

30 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

If I'm actively playing an MMO I always buy the expansion.  So, naturally I'll preorder.  I also like to support the games I'm playing, so I purchased the ultimate package.  Having said that, my excitement level for GW2 and this expansion are at an all-time low.  I hope the new features rekindle some interest.

I've been the same and have bought the deluxe/ultimate versions of every previous expansion. I imagine I will likely buy this expansion as well. But the version of it is still up in the air for me. And I probably won't be buying the ultimate version for my family members, who only occasionally play anymore.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Not preordering, EoD was a full nostalgia sold out which didnt pay off. They could have done so much amazing things with Cantha, even having some maps of faction wars kurzick vs luxons like gw1.

AGREED! 100% The best thing about it was the music... But it's done it was embarrassing but let's move on we heading in new directions now so we don't have to worry about that now.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

I'm definitely pre-ordering. I've been playing this game pretty relentlessly for years now after my last migration so I'm not particularly interested in the derelict theme park that is FFXIV and I just plain don't like WoW. MMO's in general are in a horrid space and have been for the better part of a decade now. I won't say GW2 is perfect, but it's the best I can find.

Also free Skyscale. Though I'll probably still do the grind.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1