Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing

Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing

• I am Pre-Ordering.
    • I am waiting till launch to see if the expansion is good.
    • I am not purchasing.

I pre-ordered it. This game has been in my life for soon to be 11 years and I still love it, spent alot of time and I won't stop there. 

I will support this game to the very end since its so close to my heart.

I love the story, the PvE, it looks promising to me, and we are finally going to explore the Wizard's Tower!! Who would've known after so long!?

I'm sooo happy that Zojja is finally returning, she's been missed, to me. 

I honestly don't really care about the E-spec, I prefer how GW1 handled it better by giving 2 new professions each new expansion/campaign instead which was better imo, but I was more interested with the new weapons that the E-specs brought, animations, voicelines etc.

So I am very glad they will give all the classes new set of weapons.

And I really like the fantasy theme direction ANet are going with on this expansion with skyscales(dragons), wizard magic, outer spaces etc. 

I cant wait!!

• Like 6
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, WeightTrainer.3219 said:

Based on latest expansion information will you:

1. Pre Order expansion

2. Wait till launch and see if there is reason to purchase expansion.

3. Not Purchase.

Well the Blog Post answered a couple of questions about relics but a bit underwhelming. I am curious if the blog post today changes anyone's mind either way.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, WeightTrainer.3219 said:

I am curious if the blog post today changes anyone's mind either way

It changed my mind towards Anet, in that I honestly appreciate their response - not only legendary relic but also one relic box per char instead of per account - but before I buy the new xpac I want to know what "significant progress" really means since I have all 7 runes.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am still in "wait and see" mode, but slightly more inclined to not buy the expac.

The recent info on relics/legendary relics has me disinclined to continue making legendary weapons.

I am not convinced that ANet can handle the Pandora's Box of balance that they are opening with relics, elite spec weapons, and new weapons for each profession all in a single expansion cycle.

I have found the story telling, and quality of content, in the last four content releases (end of IBS, EoD, Gyalla 1, Gyalla 2) to be poor at best and some of the worst game content I have encountered at worst. This makes it difficult to be hyped for new story content from the same writers.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Given the abysmal last two balance patches, much like last year, coupled with the lack of communication or even acknowledgement of really bad decisions that anyone could've told them not to do...

The restriction of F2P players from providing -proper- support builds in any of the endgame content they can access, or even PvP and WvW content at which they are at a horrible disadvantage on coupled with the lack of proper in-game tutorials or information for those starting out the game fresh for now required in-depth combat mechanics like combo field blasting and leaping...

The lack of a cohesive vision in multiple aspects from the story to class balance... given how it takes one class only one easy button to provide a required boon for group content alongside might, while the other has to waste their entire healing kit to barely provide a required boon and good luck if you didn't time everything 100% to the proper damage cycle oops your whole party is dead now go play healalac mech or healquickbrand because you're bad...

The straight up terrible writing throughout the start of the Icebrood Saga and further on, which might as well be when they started to try and supplant older content as a whole with their own new vision... such as strikes over raids, story beats and directions, the complete absentmindedness of the writers and how they pushed to retcon their own new things into Living World Season 1...

Yeah, think I'll pass on the expansion like I have all gemstore content and any supplemental incidentals that would give them money. Logging in does them no favors on their server either, so I'll abuse that and I'm not too keen to suggest to other people that they should try this game out unless they only want to play a restricted version of the first eighty levels of story content and move on. If I'd known this was where the game was going, I would never have started out so many years ago. I'm certainly not going to herald to others that they should get suckered in too, so no word of mouth from me.

The fact that relics are going to be purely and only be soulbound to a single character until however long it takes them to push legendary relics out as another option, and that legendary relics won't just be given to those that are losing an entire aspect of something they worked hard for is just the cherry on top. Demolishing part of the elite spec identity and continually destroying things that used to work just for the sake of it too? Get real. No buy from me.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah, today finalized not buying it. On top of how "incomplete" the expac is. Why are we waiting 2+ quarter updates out for things that should be in even a mini expansion? I was concerned when Anet announced yet another change to how they deliver content, and now having so much of the content be Soon(tm) with their track record for not delivering on promises is incredibly disheartening. I don't want to pay for vaporware.

plus still no swimsuits!

• Like 9
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I am still in "wait and see" mode, but slightly more inclined to not buy the expac.

The recent info on relics/legendary relics has me disinclined to continue making legendary weapons.

I am not convinced that ANet can handle the Pandora's Box of balance that they are opening with relics, elite spec weapons, and new weapons for each profession all in a single expansion cycle.

I have found the story telling, and quality of content, in the last four content releases (end of IBS, EoD, Gyalla 1, Gyalla 2) to be poor at best and some of the worst game content I have encountered at worst. This makes it difficult to be hyped for new story content from the same writers.

I agree its just not worth the time and effort involved for what can happen in the future of GW2.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I mean im in the same situation as you of "wait and see" and not really hype about gw2s future. 

That being said, EoD story in term of production and quality, it was one of the best if not the best. And ive replayed all in order. The cinematics, the combat, the inmersion, it was one of the few things that shined in EoD. I agree you cannot like what they are telling you in the story, but the production was definetly wayy better than HoT (best aclaimed expansion so far) and PoF. And even the "tone" way more dark and mature.

As for legendary weapons i wouldnt be worry. If you are here for the story stay. If you are here for raids, pvp and the devs making long term innovations so the game last, then you may think about it.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I mean im in the same situation as you of "wait and see" and not really hype about gw2s future. 

That being said, EoD story in term of production and quality, it was one of the best if not the best. And ive replayed all in order. The cinematics, the combat, the inmersion, it was one of the few things that shined in EoD. I agree you cannot like what they are telling you in the story, but the production was definetly wayy better than HoT (best aclaimed expansion so far) and PoF.

To each their own. I didnt find the fights in EoD to be very good, nor the content at all immersive. The dialogue, characterization, and story were so bad that I could not immerse my self at all. The cinematics? Completely non-impactful.

Obviously all subjective so I am not at all attempting to say that you shouldnt have a higher opinion of EoD than I. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

19 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This right here.

A-net have really dug a hole under themselves this time.
They want more players to commit to legendary gear crafting (PvE lege armor),
yet at the same time pull this stunt showing left and right your legendary gear is not safe from their newest marketing ploys.

Breaching player trust can have long lasting and dire consequences, as I'm afraid a-net will soon find out.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

To each their own. I didnt find the fights in EoD to be very good, nor the content at all immersive. The dialogue, characterization, and story were so bad that I could not immerse my self at all. The cinematics? Completely non-impactful.

Obviously all subjective so I am not at all attempting to say that you shouldnt have a higher opinion of EoD than I. 

I mean there are things that can be subjective. But there are things that not, its like comparing a photo in 720p or 1080p. The cinematics of EoD have x10 more quality than any cinematic this game has ever seen. And that is something objective, even if you like the story or not. Even the movement of the mouth when they are talking, everything is so smoth and with a lot of production behind it.

And for my taste and lot of people that played the story when EoD came out, the story was one of the best if not the best. In terms of quality and production. And even in characters, Ankha its way more darker, mature and real than most of the characters they have created till this day for example. The surprise of Kunna, specially from a gw1 fan was amazing. The mistery when you go down in that underwater installation its brilliant. Even the appartment of mai trim in New Kaineng just leave you with a sensation of i want an appartment here too.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I mean there are things that can be subjective. But there are things that not, its like comparing a photo in 720p or 1080p. The cinematics of EoD have x10 more quality than any cinematic this game has ever seen. And that is something objective, even if you like the story or not. Even the movement of the mouth when they are talking, everything is so smoth and with a lot of production behind it.

I see what you are saying now. 

To me, if the voice acting, direction, and dialogue in a scene (game or movie for that matter) are awful then a higher resolution/pixel count/sound fidelity/etc are irrelevant. The highest possible resolution movie camera means little, for example, if pointed at some random bug on the sidewalk instead of the important action. 

But I will concede that when the awful art direction doesnt get in the way too much, the resolution in EoD is nice enough....but a high-rez picture of a kitten is still a picture of a  kitten.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

Not that it matters, but since they released additional information about the relics and runes issue, and it looks like a positive direction (even if I would have preferred they have things ready faster), I went ahead and pre-ordered this morning for myself. Not sure yet what I will do for my 2 family members' accounts yet though. Still undecided on that front.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I feel like the recent blog post has done a lot to highlight how ill-prepared they are for this expansion. If all the content is just going to be released so far into the future then there's no pressing reason to buy it now when I can buy it later, probably at discount, and get the content I'm actually interested in (if after release it isn't a wreck) when it actually becomes available. It's a really weird system to promise a lot of content going forward that you pay for half a year to a year in advance, it just demonstrates that the expansion is a cash grab more than a passion project to me.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Eod had good writing and voice acting overall imo with my only issue with it being some cases of sorta inorganic exposition and being treated more like a tourist at certain points. 

I didn't like EoD modern designs, the jade tech bothered me. The characters and their opinions did not appeal to me. The story was too modern social media like for my tastes (probably my generation not sure) and the lack of any meaningful loot in open world outside of grind currencies in lemming style trains just makes me lose interest..

I liked some of the maps, they were pretty if not used very well. Kaineng is an eye sore (sorry) but the rest looked great, the world builders are doing their jobs well. The specs were very nice, i enjoyed nearly all of them (For me Warrior or Revenant were pretty bad) but the rest were great, The new mount was very grindy and forced me to do content i didn't enjoy and well.. the end result was pretty pointless.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

I didn't like EoD modern designs, the jade tech bothered me. The characters and their opinions did not appeal to me. The story was too modern social media like for my tastes (probably my generation not sure) and the lack of any meaningful loot in open world outside of grind currencies in lemming style trains just makes me lose interest..

I liked some of the maps, they were pretty if not used very well. Kaineng is an eye sore (sorry) but the rest looked great, the world builders are doing their jobs well. The specs were very nice, i enjoyed nearly all of them (For me Warrior or Revenant were pretty bad) but the rest was great, The new mount was very grindy and forced me to do content i didn't enjoy and well.. the end result was pretty pointless.

Agree with a lot of this. My only caveat about the map designs is that I would have preferred that the Echovald Forest, as wild as it is supposed to be, not be littered with jade tech everywhere. I am not fornd of the jade tech aesthetic in the first place and having it everwhere you looked, high in the trees, in every ruin, etc detracted greatly from the map's otherwise very pleasing design for me. 

I do like strikes though I understand that its not everyone's cup of tea. My guild leader asked several of us to practice the Kaineng Overlook strike so that we could carry those guild members less able to handle more difficult content. It meant that we got to help our pals achieve something they wanted, even if the Turtle had little use. A win win.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Agree with a lot of this. My only caveat about the map designs is that I would have preferred that the Echovald Forest, as wild as it is supposed to be, not be littered with jade tech everywhere. I am not fornd of the jade tech aesthetic in the first place and having it everwhere you looked, high in the trees, in every ruin, etc detracted greatly from the map's otherwise very pleasing design for me. 

I do like strikes though I understand that its not everyone's cup of tea. My guild leader asked several of us to practice the Kaineng Overlook strike so that we could carry those guild members less able to handle more difficult content. It meant that we got to help our pals achieve something they wanted, even if the Turtle had little use. A win win.

Agreed and some small events that solos and small groups could do, pocketed around the maps, not just kill these Spongebob Squarepants mechs again and again... I know i might be a minority but i'm burnt out on the super timed over reaching map events. following 50 other people trying to hit stuff in a mess of sfx not being able to see AoEs can for myself get tedious very very fast.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Agreed and some small events that solos and small groups could do, pocketed around the maps, not just kill these Spongebob Squarepants mechs again and again... I know i might be a minority but i'm burnt out on the super timed over reaching map events. following 50 other people trying to hit stuff in a mess of sfx not being able to see AoEs can for myself get tedious very very fast.

Indeed.

I have always preferred a mix of larger, mid, and smaller scale content with small to mid sized being my favorite. Ive never seen the appeal of those massive zerg encounters where your personal participation is meaningless. Nothing you do matters to the outcome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Indeed.

I have always preferred a mix of larger, mid, and smaller scale content with small to mid sized being my favorite. Ive never seen the appeal of those massive zerg encounters where your personal participation is meaningless. Nothing you do matters to the outcome.

I know people hated the hearts in Tyria.. But i personally liked the idea of them, different styles of quests, different things to do, kinda like a rpg. What i didn't like was running back to get my rewards every time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:11 AM, Batalix.2873 said:

Waiting till launch. I don't really care for the previewed masteries. Already have skyscale, think the weapons mastery is going to undermine a lot of what made the espec system work in the past and narrow the meta for anything outside of PvP. Most of the new core weapons seem like really odd choices that dilute profession identity rather than strengthen it.

I'm already working through envoy so the leggy armor, albeit pretty, would just be hard resetting that progress. And as a design decision is putting another nail in the coffin of a game mode I really enjoy.

I'm getting really tired of EoD and now SotO recycling a lot of older assets and features as selling points instead of developing new things. I understand consolidating all the horizontal progression, but it would be nice to see some actual evidence of *new* development outside of story and not just parting out bits of the old machine that already existed. Don't give me a dragon, give me a new mount/vehicle. Don't give me new core weapons, give me a much needed underwater combat overhaul. Don't give me half of a rune rework, give me a dungeon rework. Don't give me PvE legendary armor, give me more raids. Don't give me GvG WvW betas to prepare for lower server populations as the game winds down, give me new maps and new QoL WvW features/mechanics. Don't give me "balance patches", give me new PvP maps and modes.

I am tired of ANet trying to shuffle things I already have in the game around--good espec system, good mastery system, good leggy raid system--and sell them to me as if they are new. They are over-appealing to new players and abandoning years of solid game design to do so. By all means, consolidation and increasing accessibility is fine, but at least do a better job of giving older players legitimately new developments, and not cannibalizing old but perfectly fine features/systems to do so.

And to top it off, this eldritch Ganon-Gloom TotK floating castle isn't hitting the "secrets of the obscure" I would rather be tackling--it's not bad, but not the parts of Tyria I was really interested in exploring. Though maybe if I see more that could change.

As it stands the only thing preorder is offering me that I will definitely want to use is a shared slot. That is comparatively little for giving my stamp of approval on game direction that I really don't agree with. My hope was that this transition would give the devs the resources to actually address the many neglected facets of this game: so far SotO is doing none of that and in fact piling onto problems.

I am totally with you on this one. You are absolutely right. We needed a focus on WvW (which is still beta development, even though it was promised at release of EoD expansion). We need a lot of focus on PvP which is stalling in the same state and same mechanics for way too long. Instead we get a bit of casual PvE with a repurposed previous content and same stuff reforged.

I miss the old days when a game or an expansion was released with all content available in first day. I miss the days where people got a demo of the game for free, so they can be drawn in buying the full version. But content nowadays is released in steps, bit by bit, and players must trust the company to release that promised content at some point in the future when company decides to deem like it, while driving sales through promises. I am sick and tired of this. I shall not buy the next expansion until much later.

- I want my PvP, my battlegrounds, my promised mechanics, my fighting in pre-established teams, my teamwork without enforced soloQ, my promised balance without some overpowered meta.

- I want my WvW without focus on some random allocation of guilds. I want a sense of belonging to a specific server, a sense of unity between players.

- I want my GvG which was promised at release, on the old forums which got deleted.

- I want my PvE which brings new content, adding things to the game without recycling anything from the old stuff (not even a graphical design).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2