The endgame makes me want to quit (new player)

On 7/8/2023 at 1:43 AM, Hermes.8159 said:

I manually leveled up to 52 and made the story up to that point before I decided to use the 80 boost...

By skipping part of the first character's leveling, you will miss A LOT.. a lot of experience to become a better player for the content that's ahead of the core game and a lot of information that is given every time you level to help you choose what you want to do next. It's really unfair of you to say that the information isn't in the game when you not only decided to skip things, but also didn't read anything that was shown to you. Check this out: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level_rewards . 

All the info in this page is given to the players on the screen, as they earn levels. It basically shows a HUGE KITTEN KITTEN panel on your face, on every level, telling you about things that you unlocked and things that you could do. For example:

• At level 29 it told you unlocked the Look for group tool
  • At level 30 it told you unlocked the first dungeon to play. After this level, every 10 levels or so, you will be able to play a new part of your personal story and have access to a new dungeon, being 8 dungeons in total
  • At level 80 you unlock Fractals of the Mists, World vs. World, PvP, new contents to play, including raids and other instanced end game contents

You said you decided to use the boost at level 52 so, you saw this panel 51 times and just didn't read anything at all? How's that the game's fault? On your level 80 panel, it told you what you could as you reached max level. Plus, even if you were to have access to any endgame content you would be extremely unexperienced and undergeared to start playing them, because you skipped things. It doesn't take much to think that skipping things being on your first character will just make you feel lost.

When you reached level 80, the game offered you many doors to search your kind of content (PvE, PvP or WvW), and as expected, you would have to play through different contents to progress. The things you consider a chore are the things you could and should do to improve your characters, just like in any MMO.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, leila.7962 said:

All the info in this page is given to the players on the screen, as they earn levels. It basically shows a HUGE KITTEN KITTEN panel on your face, on every level, telling you about things that you unlocked and things that you could do. For example:

• At level 29 it told you unlocked the Look for group tool
  • At level 30 it told you unlocked the first dungeon to play. After this level, every 10 levels or so, you will be able to play a new part of your personal story and have access to a new dungeon, being 8 dungeons in total
  • At level 80 you unlock Fractals of the Mists, World vs. World, PvP, new contents to play, including raids and other instanced end game contents

You said you decided to use the boost at level 52 so, you saw this panel 51 times and just didn't read anything at all? How's that the game's fault? On your level 80 panel, it told you what you could as you reached max level. Plus, even if you were to have access to any endgame content you would be extremely unexperienced and undergeared to start playing them, because you skipped things. It doesn't take much to think that skipping things being on your first character will just make you feel lost.

When you reached level 80, the game offered you many doors to search your kind of content (PvE, PvP or WvW), and as expected, you would have to play through different contents to progress. The things you consider a chore are the things you could and should do to improve your characters, just like in any MMO.

That is just wrong. The game is not that good at guiding it players, besides guiding them through the story. While all the info it throws at you seems useful if you already know what is going on, it really isn't all that helpful for actual new players. One part is of course the fact it is an 10 year old MMO. Acting like the skip from 52 to 80 is at fault is just cope.

On 7/9/2023 at 6:10 AM, BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

First off you would’ve been able to select any weapon when you used your level 80 boost except an Elite Spec Weapon and the 80 boost/NPC you talk to explains this.

I guess he didn't talk with the unmarked NPC. I used my booster a while ago. No recollection of a Weapon choice. Not like that choice would have any meaning without testing them anyway.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

15 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

Someone "tipping their toes to fractals" doesn't mean its the main game mode for them. If it was as popular as you make it seem then it would be wise for A-net to capitalize on that. But they won't put much focus on it. 

Are you blind or something, it is the only actively worked on end game content atm. Strike are just story bosses with extra mechanics. There are no extra art or story assets involved.  Compare that with silent surf,  new map with new map assets, new bundle mechanic, anew boss model, and a self contained story like raids used to have.  Include 6 new weapons (more than all 4 of the original strikes) and a infusion. And the roadmap says we are getting a fractal with a cm every xpac.

Sorry, but clearly you want to bury your head in the sand. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

I guess he didn't talk with the unmarked NPC. I used my booster a while ago. No recollection of a Weapon choice. Not like that choice would have any meaning without testing them anyway.

You mean the “unmarked” NPC that definitively doesn’t have the level 80 boost icon over their head that the game forces you into dialog with as soon as it teleports you next to them in the Silverwastes when you use the boost? Definitely not that “unmarked” NPC right?  That gives options one for build, one for utilities and one for equipment.

your inattentiveness doesn’t mean it’s not there.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I recommend playing the Path of Fire main story quest.  It will give you the mounts (springer and skimmer).  While doing this, get all the mastery points and hero points along the way.

The game won't tell you but there's a lot of power creep in the elite specs. 

Also, celestial gear is better for condition specs than power specs.  So if you want to go for power, then get an exotic set with the following stats: Power (burst), Precision (crit) , and Ferocity (crit damage).  These stats are for pure burst/glass canon offense.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

That is just wrong. The game is not that good at guiding it players, besides guiding them through the story. While all the info it throws at you seems useful if you already know what is going on, it really isn't all that helpful for actual new players. One part is of course the fact it is an 10 year old MMO. Acting like the skip from 52 to 80 is at fault is just cope.

It's not guiding the player through story. The story is there to give you something else to do and maybe like, while leveling up, cause, rememeber: you are underleveled, undergeared and unexperienced. People could kill things and do things on the maps until 80 and that would be pretty boring honestly. I never played any MMORPG that you don't have to level up before the real action. Even on GW1, which the max lvl was 20, you had to do it before you could do any endgame content. But yet again, you would be undergeared and unexperienced to do it.

The OP was complaining that there isn't information in the game about what to do next or where to go and what I said is, if you didn't read anything that was on your screen while leveling up and skipped half the levels, it doesn't mean the info wasn't there. The info is given all the way inside the game..

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

The OP was complaining that there isn't information in the game about what to do next or where to go and what I said is, if you didn't read anything that was on your screen while leveling up and skipped half the levels, it doesn't mean the info wasn't there. The info is given all the way inside the game..

Skipping from 52 to max is not halve the levels. Never did level that range myself what useful information did I miss?
Also the games fails at being concise, it just becomes noise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

🤣🤣🤣.....................

it is funny but it got me wondering if lvl 80 boosts should be reserved. for people that have at least one level 80 on their account. that way they will not be so lost because they had to do it the right way. still him making the story up is so strange

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, trunks.5249 said:

it is funny but it got me wondering if lvl 80 boosts should be reserved. for people that have at least one level 80 on their account. that way they will not be so lost because they had to do it the right way. still him making the story up is so strange

I always thought that these lvl 80 boosters should have a restriction like that!! I think it's such a bad idea to let people use it when they don't even know how to play the game.. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Skipping from 52 to max is not halve the levels. Never did level that range myself what useful information did I miss?
Also the games fails at being concise, it just becomes noise.

The game naturally tells you what fractals are, what raids are, what meta events are, in game mechanics that are added in each expansion area, special vendors all the endgame stuff is provided in game and you don’t have to look to YouTube guides or any text guide if people actually play the game and read the information the game clearly explains.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly, GW2 is all endgame. Everything before level 80 and getting geared up is a tutorial.

But, if I were to give you some focuses:

~ World Boss trains are low-effort gold. Great for players with physical disabilities or slower reflexes, and can be somewhat social.

~ Meta Event farms, like Auric Basin. Gotta get gold for shiny legendries/gems.

~ Fractals. To run fractals you need to obtain ascended/legendary gear to slot Agony Resistance. You'll need about 40 AR to do T2 fractals, and maybe about 100 for T3.

~ Raids/Strikes. To run raids you'll need to find a dedicated group. Strikes are for anyone and everyone, and are just mini raid bosses without the fluff inbetween (except Forging Steel).

~ Explore the world! Embrace the murderhobo lifestyle. Whatever is red is dead.

~ Don't rush your dailies, especially the jumping puzzles. Avoid using helpful Mesmer's.

~ PvP - you don't need to be any good at it, just play ranked and get rewarded!

~ WvW - You'll need to join a dedicated wvw guild to get the most out of this, similar to raids.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 6

On 7/7/2023 at 11:20 PM, Buran.3796 said:

The reason to play a game for me is to have fun. I had fun in PvP and WvW so I kept playing even long after the WvW clan in which I was faded away. In the path I started to stack a notable amount of legendaries, including all the armors and most of trinkets plus tons of weapons...  And after the introduction of the legendary wardrobe the answer is very clear: the end game in GW2 is getting your toons in full legendaries ASAP, since they are the ultimate quality of life/convenince items: no longer worried about changes in the meta, new gear stats, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I don't give a crap about anyone comenting on "GW2 end game" if they haven't grind AT LEAST one legendary weapon. If you haven't entered in the legendary race there's no point for you to lecture about "end game", you don't even known what it sis...

The word "fun" doesn't mean the same for everyone. What you personally find "fun" isn't what everyone else finds "fun". Your life experience isn't everyone's life experience, nor should it be. And I think it's a weak argument to say things like " If you've never raced Nascar or the Indy 500, then you can't call yourself a driver just because you own a car and have a driver's license...." That's a weak argument, because GW2 is a product, and we are all consumers, and have every right to criticize or praise a product how we see fit. 

I bet you $100 bucks that if you were to order a big mac at McDonalds with no cheese, and they hand it to you with cheese, you're NOT going to say " well...let me eat it first to find out if it has cheese...." lol no, you're going to IMMEDIATELY spot the problem you have with it, and say something about it....in probably 5 seconds flat. It doesn't take years and years to figure out you have a problem with something....that's such a weak argument.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

The word "fun" doesn't mean the same for everyone. What you personally find "fun" isn't what everyone else finds "fun". Your life experience isn't everyone's life experience, nor should it be. And I think it's a weak argument to say things like " If you've never raced Nascar or the Indy 500, then you can't call yourself a driver just because you own a car and have a driver's license...." That's a weak argument, because GW2 is a product, and we are all consumers, and have every right to criticize or praise a product how we see fit. 

I bet you $100 bucks that if you were to order a big mac at McDonalds with no cheese, and they hand it to you with cheese, you're NOT going to say " well...let me eat it first to find out if it has cheese...." lol no, you're going to IMMEDIATELY spot the problem you have with it, and say something about it....in probably 5 seconds flat. It doesn't take years and years to figure out you have a problem with something....that's such a weak argument.

Yes and were in that post you responded to did they say you will have fun in this content?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes and were in that post you responded to did they say you will have fun in this content?

You said: "The reason to play a game for me is to have fun." 

That's also our reason....but fun for us, might be different than what you consider fun. Maybe you consider the journey as the "fun" part of the game, and that's great. It takes all sorts to make a world right? That's just not what brings some of us fun. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

The word "fun" doesn't mean the same for everyone.

I bet you $100 bucks that if you were to order a big mac at McDonalds with no cheese,

You're entirely right, I don't like cheese, and also don't eat in McDonalds; aside from that, anyone which doesn't enjoy a game should left it. That is why is called a game and not "a work". 

But don't tell me that the game lacks "end game" or long term goals because that isn't true. You don't enjoy them? That's perfect: hurry, make yourself a favor and leave the game... Is totally fine.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

You're entirely right, I don't like cheese, and also don't eat in McDonalds; aside from that, anyone which doesn't enjoy a game should left it. That is why is called a game and not "a work". 

But don't tell me that the game lacks "end game" or long term goals because that isn't true. You don't enjoy them? That's perfect: hurry, make yourself a favor and leave the game... Is totally fine.

Well yeah obviously. But I'm not talking about whether or not OP enjoys the game. He said he leveled to 52 then boosted the rest of the way. Some people said "Noooo don't ever use a boost, ENJOY the game instead by leveling up manually!" 

Not everyone enjoys the game the same....not everyone finds leveling up manually enjoyable or "fun" even if it's their first character.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

btw even googling "gw2 content" shows up the "endgame" wiki page as the first result. So OP, what are you supposed to do in the game?
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame#Progression-based_content
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame#Combat_based_content
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame#Story_and_exploration-based_content
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame#Cosmetic-based_endgame
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame#Achievements_and_community

Well... You're free to do whatever you want. I'd say read through this page (because despite 5 links, it's the same page, just different subsections) and decide if anything fits your expectations. Plenty of things to do and plenty of ways to acquire ascended gear if that's what you want to be going for.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Well yeah obviously. But I'm not talking about whether or not OP enjoys the game. He said he leveled to 52 then boosted the rest of the way. Some people said "Noooo don't ever use a boost, ENJOY the game instead by leveling up manually!" 

Not everyone enjoys the game the same....not everyone finds leveling up manually enjoyable or "fun" even if it's their first character.

Those kind of players shouldn't even approach an MMO to begin with, and should stick to single-player action games.

Edited by Susy.7529
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Susy.7529 said:

Those kind of players shouldn't even approach an MMO to begin with, and should stick to single-player action games.

I appreciate that you feel that way, but your chosen playstyle isn't the only playstyle available. If I want to power level to max level, or boost to max level, that's my business. To me, THAT's where the real game begins. Horses for courses right?

• Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I think a large issue for pretty much any player is that the UI needs an overhaul, items/bags need be trimmed down (also we have a ton of runes that are useless, who needs +% damage against specifically dredge lol) and maybe merge some currencies similar to dungeons. Likewise, too much information for this game is on third party websites. You shouldn't need to go find Snowcrows to understand how the devs are expecting your spec to be built and balanced around. At the very least they could implement some sort of recommended gear guide or premade builds to get started with.

All that being said, the easiest and probably most rational idea is to remake the boosting process so there's some sort of tutorial option, especially for accounts with no level 80s. It doesn't need to be expansive either but it'd be better than dropping them off in the Silverwastes only to get completely destroyed in HoT content. If you give people a free level boost, they're probably going to use it. Not really much you can do about that after opening Pandora's box.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Kalocin.5982 said:

I think a large issue for pretty much any player is that the UI needs an overhaul, items/bags need be trimmed down (also we have a ton of runes that are useless, who needs +% damage against specifically dredge lol) and maybe merge some currencies similar to dungeons. Likewise, too much information for this game is on third party websites. You shouldn't need to go find Snowcrows to understand how the devs are expecting your spec to be built and balanced around. At the very least they could implement some sort of recommended gear guide or premade builds to get started with.

All that being said, the easiest and probably most rational idea is to remake the boosting process so there's some sort of tutorial option, especially for accounts with no level 80s. It doesn't need to be expansive either but it'd be better than dropping them off in the Silverwastes only to get completely destroyed in HoT content. If you give people a free level boost, they're probably going to use it. Not really much you can do about that after opening Pandora's box.

Yeah other MMOs do something similar. ESO picks the recommended skill morphs for you as you level up, and WoW gives the option for a class trial before you boost it to 60. I guess that's what puts those to in a category above GW2. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Yeah other MMOs do something similar. ESO picks the recommended skill morphs for you as you level up, and WoW gives the option for a class trial before you boost it to 60. I guess that's what puts those to in a category above GW2. 

People do know that  you can run around and try it out before confirming the boost right?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

People do know that  you can run around and try it out before confirming the boost right?

Leveling a character normally is not the same thing as the tutorial WoW does, where it gives you end game abilities, and actually INSTRUCTS you WHAT to cast and WHEN to cast it. GW2 has nothing like that. The tutorial for GW2 is to pull up the wiki in a web browser, or look up a guide on youtube. Nothing actually rendered inside the game that shows you how to play.

Whether you think that's better or worse is another topic, I'm merely pointing out something other MMO's do, that GW2 doesn't, which benefits new players to a class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Leveling a character normally is not the same thing as the tutorial WoW does, where it gives you end game abilities, and actually INSTRUCTS you WHAT to cast and WHEN to cast it. GW2 has nothing like that. The tutorial for GW2 is to pull up the wiki in a web browser, or look up a guide on youtube. Nothing actually rendered inside the game that shows you how to play.

Whether you think that's better or worse is another topic, I'm merely pointing out something other MMO's do, that GW2 doesn't, which benefits new players to a class.

Not what I said look at this video and you will see you can test out lvl 80 class and skills.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1