Temple of the Silent Storm

Malus.2184

2 hours ago, demonbeetle.2387 said:

Yeet all kitten side quest objectives imo they just pollute the game modes

If they could give you a massive game advantage and were easy to do, by all means, remove them. I think the easiest one to achieve is killing the spirits in Spirit Watch and even then you still have to deal with a mob hitting you hard and runners from the opposing team effectively double-teaming you with the mob. Stillness and Tranquility can rather easily be achieved. Especially Stillness since it can be "stealthed" while the opposing team locks anyone down and percent them from jumping down. Going by the stairs is never really an option since that takes longer than the channel.

The cannons in Revenge of the Capricorn signal a good deal of fighting and people can jump into the circle and prevent the cap even though they'll most likely die. The cap also takes longer than the channel on either STillness or Tranquility.

4 hours ago, demonbeetle.2387 said:

Yeet all kitten side quest objectives imo they just pollute the game modes

The side quests cultivate a higher degree of strategy and variance between maps. Without them, every map would play more or less the same. BORING.

It's neat how different classes/specs excel at different maps as well, in part due to the side quests. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

The side quests cultivate a higher degree of strategy and variance between maps. Without them, every map would play more or less the same. BORING.

It's neat how different classes/specs excel at different maps as well, in part due to the side quests. 

Except, the only difference in interaction with Stillness/Tranquility between the various classes would make these two bonkers broken since Stealth and Quickness would massively increase the chances of these two going to your team. They're just boring "interact to win" mechanics that only add frustration since they can make a close match an impossible match and a difficult match straight-up unwinnable. They seldom act as a comeback in that situation. In most situations, the practical effects of these two are "the rich getting richer." I think I've seen twice in all my matches there that they have switched the initiative, which is highly damaging as it leaves a sour taste in the team who really did their best and could have won without them existing and while the team who won due to them consciously celebrate they're subconsciously unable to really enjoy the victory since it was unearned, they never got it by their own effort since the game did it for them.

14 minutes ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

Cant deny that, though I still dislike the door bashing ones >.>

I completely disagree. Side objectives like this make the map significantly more interesting. I actually think these are the best map mechanics available in PvP. The only issue with them now is how much mobility has increased over time. They are too easy and quick to get to, removing some of the strategy involved. If they ever reduced mobility creep, the map would regain its former glory.

They could also slightly redesign all PvP maps to make them 20-30% bigger. To offset the mobility creep. I'm not suggesting changing the layout, just the dimensions all by the same amount.

2 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Except, the only difference in interaction with Stillness/Tranquility between the various classes would make these two bonkers broken since Stealth and Quickness would massively increase the chances of these two going to your team. They're just boring "interact to win" mechanics that only add frustration since they can make a close match an impossible match and a difficult match straight-up unwinnable. They seldom act as a comeback in that situation. In most situations, the practical effects of these two are "the rich getting richer." I think I've seen twice in all my matches there that they have switched the initiative, which is highly damaging as it leaves a sour taste in the team who really did their best and could have won without them existing and while the team who won due to them consciously celebrate they're subconsciously unable to really enjoy the victory since it was unearned, they never got it by their own effort since the game did it for them.

A come back mechanic vs get further ahead mechanic is more or less the same thing. The winning or losing side can take advantage of it, but it just depends how each game plays out. Assuming both teams are equally skilled, then the losing team at the start can refocus and start winning mid/lategame. 

If the teams aren't equal, then these mechanics make the game end quicker and the losing team never stood a chance in the first place. Your example of "the rich get richer" is predicated on the idea that someone has a baseline advantage. IE a skilled team vs a less skilled team, in which case, the skilled team will (almost) always win. 

That being said, I could see a reduced impact of side quests a solid suggestion. 

-  Stillness on temple could just give a baseline 1 point tick always instead of doubling your current caps. 

-  coliseum buffs could be reduced to 10-15% bonus

A the end of the day, gw2 is just a game. There's nothing on the line except for your rating(and ego). If some maps aren't 100% "balanced", then so be it. 

2 hours ago, Loboling.5293 said:

They could also slightly redesign all PvP maps to make them 20-30% bigger. To offset the mobility creep. I'm not suggesting changing the layout, just the dimensions all by the same amount.

Dream big, brother!

33 minutes ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

A the end of the day, gw2 is just a game. There's nothing on the line except for your rating(and ego). If some maps aren't 100% "balanced", then so be it. 

"Just a game" means that it has to be fun for the people playing it and succeeding on something else's merit lacks the fun part. It sounds good and our cultural values are that you have to try your best to get a reward of any kind, instead of, it being handed to you via random BS That's the socio-cultural value for any society where a market economy has some influence.

And to elaborate, the, "#just a game," argument is incredibly weak. If something is a game it's meant to be fun for everyone involved and it should try to be designed in a way so that people can have fun playing the game. While taste will always be subjective and one person can easily dislike the same thing that another person likes some things, like design and how the design affects the psyche of the people engaging in it is quite objective. For example, you can directly measure the serotonin levels when people gamba in games and then adjust things to make people release a bigger amount of serotonin, which implies they've become addicted to it.

I do agree with your sentiment that the side objectives have way too big an influence on the outcome of the games in general, some of them are the virtual Golden Snitch from Harry Potter where that objective becomes a sudden death mode that leaves the entire match meaningless.

Deathmatch is pretty boring - since it is only about combat. Of course: Some people might like it. They also need their options. WvW is not an option - only zerging. Personally I'd prefer a 10-20 vs 10-20 PvP-game mode with interesting map mechanics. (Where the team needs to split. Have map awareness. And strategy.)

For the 5 vs. 5 combat I like at least the mechanics - on some maps they are even pretty good. Temple is the best map. Skyhammer the worst. They should not be removed. Better to remove the +5 pts on kill maybe. So people really can focus on the conquest.

For people that prefer the combat - death match stuff should be made available permanently. Not only in off-season. Not sure about a "conquest without other mechanics" mode - if that is needed. A good variety of maps with different side objectives ... that is what I like. I'd rather also see Spirit Watch even back into ranked.

The more important the side objectives are the more interesting it becomes - imo. Pro player carrying one team can't just farm the others or cap all points ... he needs to pay attention to the side mechanics as well if his team mates ignore them (or are not strong enough to secure them).

Sometimes it even happens that a team wins by normal points - when first behind: If they contest the buff and the enemy comes to prevent them from getting it ... and the whole players are all at the buff with one of the own team capping all points and turning it around. (Similar to bell at Capricorn lol.) The "bell noob loss" is not that rare. 300 vs 100 - all of the team with 100 run to bell. Enemy sends 4 to stall them. Sends 1 to cap all the points ... and the team with 300 has the "get the bell or we lose" criers on the team fixing all to run to the bell only ignoring that it "suddnly" changes to 300 vs 500. 😄