Nvidia RTX 3060 underperforming a 1060 in WvW

Hi, for the last month, I've been doing content in WvW with a couple of friends. During this time, we discovered that one of my friends, who has almost the same computer as me (he helped me buy the components, so apart from the graphic card, we have the same specs), has better performance than my Nvidia RTX 3060 with his 1060 when we enter large zerg content. I experience significant drops in FPS, sometimes as low as 10-15, while his stays around 25-30. We've set the same configuration in-game for comparison, but it made no difference.

Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K 3.69 GHz
RAM: 32.0 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• Sad 1

These two gpus have different architecture from each other. The driver may be the same yet it will treat the cards differently. GW2, for historical reasons, is heavy on the CPU so don't expect a better gpu is going to necessarily perform better. The bottleneck may not even be occurring due to the gpu.

Edited by Chaba.5410

lowering graphics settings will usually drop performance on modern video cards because it puts the driver in compatibility mode since the tech is old. instead you need to start with max settings and then tune each individual setting to see how it affects your framerate.

only character model limit to lowest is likely to affect your performance in wvw anyway.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Confused 1

Start with auto-detect settings.

Most people should use Native for resolution sampling. It looks like you are trying to use higher res textures. When entering areas with large zergs, fps usually drops because the game has to render more individuals. Every wvw player wants model limit high to see other players yet has to sacrifice aethetics to achieve this. You can also try standard models in wvw.

Is this windowed fullscreen? What resolution are you running the game at? Are you limiting frames? Some report better performance with limiting the fps.

Check what your power settings for the gpu are, preferring max performance. Ensure the driver and/or OS isn't throttling the gpu somehow. Windows also has some game optimization settings that can affect performance. Perhaps you and your friend has different settings for this.

4 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Start with auto-detect settings.

Most people should use Native for resolution sampling. It looks like you are trying to use higher res textures. When entering areas with large zergs, fps usually drops because the game has to render more individuals. Every wvw player wants model limit high to see other players yet has to sacrifice aethetics to achieve this. You can also try standard models in wvw.

Is this windowed fullscreen? What resolution are you running the game at? Are you limiting frames? Some report better performance with limiting the fps.

Check what your power settings for the gpu are, preferring max performance. Ensure the driver and/or OS isn't throttling the gpu somehow. Windows also has some game optimization settings that can affect performance. Perhaps you and your friend has different settings for this.

Thank you for the advices, so to start yes I'm playing in windowed with a resolution of 1920x1080 and have fps capped at 60. I've checked win 11 power saving configuration and set it to max performance and activated a gaming mode available on windows. I didn't know about the change maps to take effect thing so I will try to see if I can achieve better fps.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dredsh.2360 said:

when was the last time you cleaned you pc/changed thermal paste?

lost time I cleaned my pc was early this month and the thermal paste was two months ago usually when playing the CPU and GPU temp moves around 60-70 grades 

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2023 at 3:50 AM, michi.5936 said:

So, is there anything I can do to improve my FPS? I've even tried using the lowest graphic settings, but I can only reach around 15-17 FPS in the same scenario.

I have the same card and get 150fps normal or 50 in big zerg fights in WvW.  Reinstall the video driver to the Microsoft Certified version, do not use the new nvidia drivers.  Lower down some video gw2 requirements you don't need.  Several articles on the web to help  you.

• Sad 1

the main cause of poor WvW performance is the game trying to load cosmetic for the opposing team in real time, since the game can't know who will show up and preload the skin. to stop this, simply set opposing team to use "default model". this problem will get worst as anet add more skin! 😃 if that still doesn't help, your only option is to reduce the number of player the game display which has a negative impact on experience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Setttings that significally reduce CPU load:

General Options:

• Standard Enemy Models: Enabled
  • Standard Friendly Models: Enabled

Graphics Options:

• Effect LOD: Enabled
  • Shadows: Off
  • Reflections: Off

If this is still not enough:

• lower "Character Model Quality" and "Character Model Limit"
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I h ave rtx3070ti and i7-11700k and I mostly run max settings except shadows, thats medium and model quality and model limit, both also medium. Ofc Vsync off and I get arround 110 fps and arround 50 in zerg fights. But in FullHD resolution.
Also important to know that I dont use dx11 cause anet cant fix the resolution and fullscreen with it, so still using dx9

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, hugeboss.5432 said:

The GTX 1080 has a 256bit interface rated at 354.4 gtexels (texture fillrate), while the RTX 3060 is only 192bit and rated at 199gtexels (texture fill), i believe this is what the limiting factor in gw2 is when things get "busy".

GW2 has one big issue and that's draw calls. The engine can't handle all the data streaming and as a result performs poorly. That's all CPU related stuff. A 1060 is never the limiting factor in the game, when you play at or below 1440p native resolution.

At 4k it's  a different story.

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:34 AM, Cernoch.8524 said:

I h ave rtx3070ti and i7-11700k and I mostly run max settings except shadows, thats medium and model quality and model limit, both also medium. Ofc Vsync off and I get arround 110 fps and arround 50 in zerg fights. But in FullHD resolution.
Also important to know that I dont use dx11 cause anet cant fix the resolution and fullscreen with it, so still using dx9

Thanks, I was playing with that as well.  I might go back to DX-9 too.

• Sad 1