Is it likely that the new expansion will vastly alter the PvE meta, possibly introducing new or different builds?

Although I have over a thousand hours in Guild Wars 2 and have dabbled my fair share in all content, including Raids, I am still pretty limited in my knowledge of builds and meta shifts, having only really played Dragonhunter and Renegade.

Considering that the new expansion will open up new weapons for all classes, what impact will this have on buildsand the current meta? Are we expecting big changes if any, and if so, how long before sites such as SnowCrows will update their lists with these new builds?

For context, I am going on vacation (holiday) soon and was wondering by the time I return, whether there will already be updated lists since I am getting a bit bored of my previous two characters' builds and am excited to try something new.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How long is your holiday? The expansion doesn't come out until 22nd August so none of the changes will be in the game until then. It will be sometime after that build guides start getting updated. I'm not sure how long that takes but I suspect it will vary between sites depending on their methods - how many people can submit builds and what kind of testing and approval they require before sharing them.

I'm sure some people have ideas already, but there's changes we haven't seen in detail yet like the redesign of runes and the new relics which are replacing the 6th rune effect, and probably some typical balance changes as well, so working out detailed builds will need to wait until after the expansion is out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

How long is your holiday? The expansion doesn't come out until 22nd August so none of the changes will be in the game until then. It will be sometime after that build guides start getting updated. I'm not sure how long that takes but I suspect it will vary between sites depending on their methods - how many people can submit builds and what kind of testing and approval they require before sharing them.

I'm sure some people have ideas already, but there's changes we haven't seen in detail yet like the redesign of runes and the new relics which are replacing the 6th rune effect, and probably some typical balance changes as well, so working out detailed builds will need to wait until after the expansion is out.

Till 20th August, but I am assuming people will test builds in beta already.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

People might have tested the builds in the very limited beta a week or so ago, but I have not seen anything about more betas prior to release (I will admit I have not looked closely though).  That said, and even if there are more beta events, I would be surprised if the live content was not different from the beta content, which means that any build designs released before the expac goes live would fall into the might or might not actually work category.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It'll be a massive failure if it won't.

We can clearly see this xpac isn't about mountains of content of new features.
What it is about is opening tons of new builds and getting players to start using them (lege armor for open world players).

If things stay the same than it'll mean xpac failed what it set out to do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1