Visit the News and Announcements Forum for Official Updates on Game Issues

We have always used the official Guild Wars 2 Twitter account as our primary place to give players updates and information on emergent game issues, among many other things. What made this channel so useful was that it allowed us to communicate quickly and succinctly, and our entire community could see the updates regardless of whether they had a Twitter account.

We are not able to predict how future updates to Twitter's policies may impact our official account's availability, and it's important to us that all players have a reliable source of news about the game, your accounts, and our studio. We will continue to communicate on Twitter like we have previously, but we will make our news and announcements forum our first location for "breaking news" on issues that affect things like the live game service. The Guild Wars 2 forums are visible regardless of registration or login, and we will keep it that way.

You can also keep an eye on our bug forum for regular game bugs, use our dev tracker to keep an eye on official developer posts, or enable notifications in any forum using the "follow" button to stay up to date.

Source

Now that we can discuss, why the Festival of the Four Winds who begin in only 6 days (July 18th) wasn't announced on official website but first on Twitter ? Are there some press releases we can follow too ? Oh, and what about the releases page ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

What do the first two links have to do with your post? The 'Twitter' one links to Reddit (which links to Twitter - why not link to Twitter instead), and the 'press release' one links to 2022 site articles.

I'll give you 'Releases' hasn't been updated in a long time.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

What do the first two links have to do with your post? The 'Twitter' once links to Reddit, and the 'press release' one links to 2022 site articles.

The Reddit link leads to the official tweet but there is a lot more interesting conversations on Reddit. The goal is the same.

For the Google search one, I just wanted to point the fact that no one speak about about the festival while he only begin in a few days. In my foreign langage, outside a very few at the launch of new expansions, there are no one video game media who speak about Guild Wars 2 since years. Our game need more press relations to garantee its success.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Most players know there are Festivals every other month; new players will see the announcement in-game.  There will be a News Blog article forthwith. 

This

It's a one per year annual event that many were looking forward to and they can't even post it on the forum, what's the excuse?

I understand posting trailers on twitter but it's an event marketed towards the active playerbase so it should be on the forum not twitter.

I don't understand how we can always find excuses for a thing that can be automated easily.

The festivals news can be useful for the people who don't play the game too, to motivate them to buy the extensions, speak about ir to their friends and showing that the game is alive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I assume there will be an article on the website later today (for Anet it's only 4am). For some reason it always seems to take longer to update websites than to post to social media. It's the same at my work - I can send the same thing to the social media team and the website team at the same time, with the same 'go live' date/time and the social media team are able to do it almost immediately but the website often takes a day or so. I have no idea why but I've never been any good at web design.

I don't think that announcement was supposed to mean they'll stop using Twitter entirely, just that they won't rely on it to give updates on problems with the game. Probably because there's been a lot of changes to Twitter visibility recently and more are speculated on. I think the API which allowed other sites to embed tweets has stopped working (which is why the one on the forum is gone) which limits visibility to people who visit Twitter or see a tweet manually reposted somewhere, which is obviously not ideal for things they want as many people as possible to see.

A forum post appears immediately, like a twitter post, and Anet have full control over the visibility so they know it will always be possible for anyone who wants to see it to find the updates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anvar.5673 said:

This

I don't understand how we can always find excuses for a thing that can be automated easily.

The festivals news can be useful for the people who don't play the game too, to motivate them to buy the extensions, speak about ir to their friends and showing that the game is alive.

From your link:  An event that repeats every year isn't breaking news, and people active enough to be playing and active on the forums shouldn't really need to be told about it. This is promotional, so social media is the right place to put it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

I love how anet is so addicted to twitter they only took a week for them to renege on this policy change.

With twitter and reddit policy changes, they need to stop using third party sites to give information.

What now could you explain?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What now could you explain?

The gw2 subreddit went dark for a week in protests of policy changes with 3rd party apps. This was 2 weeks before Soto announcement dropped. 

Twitter has restricting access unless you have a twitter account to prevent bot data scraping. 

3rd parties have too much power to restrict the flow of information. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Source

Now that we can discuss, why the Festival of the Four Winds who begin in only 6 days (July 18th) wasn't announced on official website but first on Twitter ? Are there some press releases we can follow too ? Oh, and what about the releases page ?

The answer is in the quote - the forums are the first place for live game service issues

we will make our news and announcements forum our first location for "breaking news" on issues that affect things like the live game service.”

They will continue to utilise twitter for usual other announcements as it says.

I don’t necs disagree that the website should have been the first place and social platforms second or concurrent

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The answer is in the quote - the forums are the first place for live game service issues

we will make our news and announcements forum our first location for "breaking news" on issues that affect things like the live game service.”

They will continue to utilise twitter for usual other announcements as it says.

I don’t necs disagree that the website should have been the first place and social platforms second or concurrent

Apparently, news and announcements forums are not a place for news and announcements unless they are about "issues that affect things like live service". Normal place for news and announcements is twitter, and twitter alone.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

From your link:  An event that repeats every year isn't breaking news, and people active enough to be playing and active on the forums shouldn't really need to be told about it. This is promotional, so social media is the right place to put it.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Festival_of_the_Four_Winds

Look at the dates on this event, this event is the most volatility start and end dates of all the festival.  Yes I would want to know when it starts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1