suggestion : provide account names for forum reactions when hovering above them

42 minutes ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

YouTube has a dislike button more for their algorithm but ppl totally use it to troll and that's fine. Not much of a Reddit person but they have upvotes and downvotes. 

Apparently here we have a mental health crisis with sad and confused forum members.

It's ok if Ppl want to show they do not like what you have to say. But the symbol for that should be a proper "thumbs down".

At least that is clear to the author.

We used to have thumbs down then an Anet post got thumbs down into oblivion and that option vanished.

14 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

You must understand that the interaction you're currently causing is very much case in point as to why people often choose to use emojis instead of reply right? 

I dont think they compute that sadly.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

What do you want my home address or something??🤡

Nope. I am not the one disparaging others for leaving anonymous messages while doing the same.

Ultimately an emoticon is a symbol being used to represent a thought or meaning....just as is text. "I disagree," a collection of symbols collectively determined to carry specific meaning, is no more informative than is a singular symbol that is collectively determined to carry the same or similar meaning. The fact that this feedback is provided by someone whose identity I don't know because the singular symbol is anonymous means no more or less than feedback from someone whose response is anonymous because they are using a pseudonym.

At a level of actionable feedback for large scale development individual identity is generally irrelevant. In the end, if someone wishes to say that they disagree with me using one symbol instead of nine, more power to them. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

I assume the anonymity is there because of what would happen if every one could see who is "confusing facing" 😕 them, imagine the flames and the destruction.. It would be like Lions arch all over again here.. 😔

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

You must understand that the interaction you're currently causing is very much case in point as to why people often choose to use emojis instead of reply right? 

I understand we have many self righteous members who are in business for themselves and will never see both sides of the coin.

The thread is not just about an emoji...its about attaching your handle @Ashen.2907

People will always flame and troll. Sadly can't stop that but if every disparaging emoji tracked back to them it's a pretty good guess it would happen less. 

Ppl care about their shinies in game and I think ppl would care about their rep of a  handle. 

It sounds like a guilty argument to want to remain anonymous to flame someone. 

And there is a toxic culture on these boards more egregious then any other forum I participated.

Example...someone didnt like what I had to say just a few hours ago. Went into my last 6 or so threads to leave some confused faces. 

Do I care...not really other then that's disturbing stalker like behavior that should be policed here. 

That's a grown adult choosing to get off in a stalker like manner under the protection of remaining anonymous.

Shouldn't I have the right to identify a stalker and block them??

Disagreement is one thing but there are far more abusers of the system in place then an intended back and forth debate.

Edited by Xperiment.6923
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

19 hours ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

I have to side with OP on this! Sorry because of a toxic few...this forum community is a huge disappointment! 

I've been playing  MMO'S for 25 years. I've always been a huge participant and consumer of official game forums. Often spending more time on the boards than the game itself...cause back in my day making choosing specs and making talent tree decisions was a permanent feature. So you would constantly theorycraft with other members to not kitten your character. There's always been trolls but nothing as bad as these forums. 

Arenanet has done an awful job removing the truly egregious trashposters from these boards. I can say I see a few of them in this very thread and if Anet could track how many confuse and sad emojis they leave per day its probably a good indicator they only harm the community by offering nothing to the conversation other than their middle finger. Same goes to the smarmy gaslighters. 

Im gonna say, I think the average Gw2 player is in there late 30/40's. It makes me sick to see their behavior they leave on posts that aren't even mine. Sorry, just pixels or not, one in real life does not walk into a conversation to verbally attack the people talking. Do you think they would even have the guts to do so without the protection of being anonymous?

These are bad apples!

WtH is even a confuse and sad emoji even for ?? Get rid of them put a "disagree" reaction if you need a need for a negative response. 

Do you know what I do when I read a suggestion I don't agree with? I leave...simple as that and move onto a next topic.

It has been my general experience that the things needed to be said the most also tend to be the most controversial.  I would shudder to think what would happen if Anet policed the forums based off of emojis.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

I understand we have many self righteous members who are in business for themselves and will never see both sides of the coin.

The thread is not just about an emoji...its about attaching your handle @Ashen.2907

People will always flame and troll. Sadly can't stop that but if every disparaging emoji tracked back to them it's a pretty good guess it would happen less. 

Ppl care about their shinies in game and I think ppl would care about their rep of a  handle. 

It sounds like a guilty argument to want to remain anonymous to flame someone. 

And there is a toxic culture on these boards more egregious then any other forum I participated.

Example...someone didnt like what I had to say just a few hours ago. Went into my last 6 or so threads to leave some confused faces. 

Do I care...not really other then that's disturbing stalker like behavior that should be policed here. 

That's a grown adult choosing to get off in a stalker like manner under the protection of remaining anonymous.

Shouldn't I have the right to identify a stalker and block them??

Disagreement is one thing but there are far more abusers of the system in place then an intended back and forth debate.

And you know they are an adult how?

And no chance that multiple people confused your different posts at all?

You blocking them would do what exactly they can still confuse your post even if blocked, you just wont see their posts.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I blocked the emojis within the first 2 or 3 months of them being added. I consider them to by unnecessary screen clutter that does not add anything relevant to what ever post that they are being applied to.

As for attaching names to them, what happens when you have 30 to 40 sad and confused emojis to go through to ask them why?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Wait, sad face is bad now? I only use it when I agree with something someone said but it makes me, ya know, sad. Like, if someone said, "I loved my scourge but this 8 second rule took all the fun away and set it on fire and fed it to the pigs so I'm going back to Pong," I'd give that a sad face, if not a trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

And you know they are an adult how?

Cause I don't think any young Zoomer would touch this busted game from 2012. Grind grind grind and then grind somemore...not the playstyle of instant gratification. MMO's have to compete with stuff like TikTok now. Fortnite brought in a lot of young gamers but I don't think even an Action RPG holds them. This game needs adults with adult size purses. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:55 AM, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I think these forums would be much more sane if we could actually know who's behind the happy, sad, and.... the famous "confused" emotes. Right now ignoring who is behind them is a source of unnecessary pressure and tension among forumers. Maybe there are 10 guys who concentrate 90% of the confused emotes on the forums and nobody knows. And so on. Discord does that and it feels much better.

Thanks

Why, so they be harassed????

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

It's an unfortunate by product of today's society at large.  Not specifically toward the OP, but too many people are too easily offended or find things that trigger or upset them that are really nothing worth the worry or attention.  The world needs to grow up.

Your words are hurtful. Can you put translate this post into a cartoon face emoji?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

Cause I don't think any young Zoomer would touch this busted game from 2012. Grind grind grind and then grind somemore...not the playstyle of instant gratification. MMO's have to compete with stuff like TikTok now. Fortnite brought in a lot of young gamers but I don't think even an Action RPG holds them. This game needs adults with adult size purses. 

I put confused emoji on some of your post if that helps......  Doubt that it will but I'm just a helpful person.

Edited by Daniyyel.3428
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:22 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

I actually had someone track me down in game and flame email me for points I'd made in a thread.  I reported them and didn't hear from them again.  /shrug    But, yeah, I agree here that putting names to reactions would not really serve any positive purpose.

That happened once. It was a good novel about my lack of morals.

I replied telling them thanks for the effort but I didn't  read it and then deleted it.

These days I would just reply with "I am very confused."

To be fair I have received  many more compliments  than flames. I can't  let a unhinged few overshadow  the overwhelmingly nice community.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Those people were the firsts to disagree with all of my topics like that one but at the end it got most positive reactions than negative ones so I guess I'm right as there isn't any system to contradict me (like showing account names with reactions).

So, by your logic, I must be harassing you since your reply showed up as I was reading through the latest posts, and I was the first to reply to it?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

So, by your logic, I must be harassing you since your reply showed up as I was reading through the latest posts, and I was the first to reply to it?

It's more complicated. The same group of people praise themselves and dislike with everything is not of their opinion. That's why some topics can have most negative reactions in a few hours but more positives ones at the end.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Anvar.5673 said:

It's more complicated. The same group of people praise themselves and dislike with everything is not of their opinion. That why some topics can have most negative reactions in a few hours but more positives ones at the end.

Except that disliking/disagreeing with something that varies from one's opinion isn't necessarily harassment.  It's just normal everyday behavior.  We all do it, even if we don't leave an emoji to indicate it, just like we may or may not leave one when we agree.  But if you get 12 Confused emojis, how are the same 10 people doing that, unless you're saying that they made sock puppet accounts specifically to target you?

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

Except that disliking/disagreeing with something that varies from one's opinion isn't necessarily harassment.  It's just normal everyday behavior.  We all do it, even if we don't leave an emoji to indicate it, just like we may or may not leave one when we agree.  But if you get 12 Confused emojis, how are the same 10 people doing that, unless you're saying that they made sock puppet accounts specifically to target you?

I would really like to validate that and be able to see who use some reactions could help that.

The problem is that today I'm convinced that if those 10 people weren't on the forums for a few days, half of negative reactions would magically disaspear.

Another interesting thing could be to not show the negative reactions in the first hours to encourage the debate instead of nip it in the bud. Today a lot of people are afraid to freely speak up.

The Youtube's approach of hiding dislikes forever is interesting too (and I don't speak about some gimmicks with adblockers to hide them).

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Anvar.5673 said:

We could finally prove that the same reactions come from the same 10 people (often with thousand of messages) who are haunting the forums like ghosts since years.

Interesting conspiracy theory. I can see why you chose that avatar 👀

on a more serious note, why would the people responding to you care about reactions being hidden or public? They already say publicly that they disagree. And even discuss the topic with you. It does not make sense as there are people reading forums and only give reactions based on what they are reading. There is no way for us to know who leaves these reactions. Forum lurkers is a thing you know. And it’s nothing wrong with that. Let them “say their piece” through reactions if they want to. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1