[NEWS] Festival of the Four Winds 2023

Anvar.5673

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The last line isn't shown on the 'source'.  So, not sure where it came from.  🤷‍♀️

It come from another dimension where some people whould really do their job to promote content of their game to attract new players before the expansion but it's maybe too much to ask.

167 comments about the festival on Reddit, 0 on official forums. If someone ask where is the community of Guild Wars 2, it's not here for sure.

1 hour ago, Funky.4861 said:

So there's nothing new in this years' festival?

Like the other one, a new item with the annual achievemen, two new miniatures, a new set of weapons with the weekly achievement and some new weapons from the Kodan.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, something you just made up? 

Not really. Some words come from last year, dates and informations from Twitter. It's a little more work than it was already done (nearly nothing). I mean, it's not because we are accomoded to bad practices that things cannot be improved in their communication to the players. Some improvements:

• Publish the news on official website and forum one week before the event.
  • Do some press relations with video game websites.

Since when in a professional world an event is advertised the same day it occur ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, really.  Gotcha.  You might consider stating that in the OP so players don't think it's official and ArenaNet has stated there is nothing new in this year's Festival. 

I assume any news will be put in the upcoming blog post.

The Twitter announcement is very short and doesn't reveal anything specific for that matter.

• Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, really.  Gotcha.  You might consider stating that in the OP so players don't think it's official and ArenaNet has stated there is nothing new in this year's Festival. 

But there will not be any new content in the festival outside some weapons and minis, as usual. That's the case each time since years. For the rest, we can all see that the festivals part of the game is in maintenance mode in terms of communication.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hmm. I thought last years addition of Skiff Races and Fishing Tournament were new.  New Adventures and Achievements, as well.  Maybe you missed them?  🤷‍♂️

And I though I could enjoy the Lunar New Year in Shing Jea Monastery but I guess it's too much work when all of the ressources are put on an unannounced game.

Nobody do fishing in Labyrintine Cliff and the skiff race was forgot as soon at it was released but I suppose you always want to be right instead of improving the game. I got the achievements in 2 minutes and never got back again. I don't call that new content.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2023 at 5:29 PM, Anvar.5673 said:

And I though I could enjoy the Lunar New Year in Shing Jea Monastery but I guess it's too much work when all of the ressources are put on an unannounced game.

Nobody do fishing in Labyrintine Cliff and the skiff race was forgot as soon at it was released but I suppose you always want to be right instead of improving the game. I got the achievements in 2 minutes and never got back again. I don't call that new content.

Even if they got the ressources, they won't do something like that, because festival are meant to stay on core game and Shing Jea map already have a purpose and the festival would simply parasite it.

Also, the point of festival is to provide recurrent content with a small investment in development ressources (like new rewards or small change when system are added, like skiff and fishing)

It's like this and it always was, even back in the days, like 2014.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Even if they got the ressources, they won't do something like that, because festival are meant to stay on core game and Shing Jea map already have a purpose and the festival would simply parasite it.

And yet they have the solution since 2005: open a town/hub version of Shing Jea and Kamadan post-Joko (at least those beautiful places could be more useful) with pins on the world map like it was possible in Guild Wars 1 and use it to tell new stories and extends the existing festivals.

People were not mad to have to pay for Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall to be able to participate to some festivities. It was a great incentive to buy the expansions.

But that need some wish and passion and both already gone since a long time as everyone want to work of the new MMO instead fulfiling the old cash cow.

It's the Andy's syndrome "I don't want to play with you anymore" like it was the case with dungeons, raids and PvP but now it's with the Guild Wars license.

The Lunar New Year is a shame and don't deserve to be considered as festival. It would maybe have made sense if the old canthan district wasn't erased.

Edited by Anvar.5673
typo
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, Anvar.5673 said:

But there will not be any new content in the festival outside some weapons and minis, as usual. That's the case each time since years. For the rest, we can all see that the festivals part of the game is in maintenance mode in terms of communication.

last year had fishing and skiff races added to fotfw

this year had world 3 preview added to sab

april fool's is entirely new every year

2021 saw oozes added to sab and the joko / court duty to halloween

nothing new 'since years' is wrong

there's something new to at least one festival and april fools every year

5 hours ago, Anvar.5673 said:

And yet they have the solution since 2005: open a town/hub version of Shing Jea and Kamadan post-Joko (at least those beautiful places could be more useful) with pins on the world map like it was possible in Guild Wars 1 and use it to tell new stories and extends the existing festivals.

People were not mad to have to pay for Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall to be able to participate to some festivities. It was a great incentive to buy the expansions.

factions and nightfall arent expansions but stand alone campaigns so kinda different cuz there is no 'core game' in gw1 except pvp

and gw1 functions differently than gw2

the hubs were only that they didnt have full mapping quests and metas

imagine if you wanted to do seitung meta but the map was full of people afking for lunar new year stuff and not doing anything

people had that with verdant brink in 2015

raiders just sitting in vb making groups instead of doing the meta making the meta fail because not enough people doing the meta can get into the map instance

people hated it and ranted on forums and reddit

anet created the raid lobby to fix that

at most only arborstone would get festival stuff in order to prevent repeating this issue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Senti.2890 said:

nothing new 'since years' is wrong

I somehow agree even if most of that, outside the W3-1, are more small touches than real content. I mean, I know they can't always do more and more but they could at least do some efforts for the Lunar New Year.

40 minutes ago, Senti.2890 said:

the hubs were only that they didnt have full mapping quests and metas

imagine if you wanted to do seitung meta but the map was full of people afking for lunar new year stuff and not doing anything

That's why they can do a new stand alone map/hub of Shing Jea for example, like they already did with Arborstone, to not interfere with the Seitung Province map.

It could be accessed with a pin on the world map like in was the case in Guild Wars 1.

I agree that they could do something in Arborstone too but the Impress Inn lies in the Royal Court's Monastery and this place have the best scenary to comune with the celestials.

Maybe it would seem abstract for the average player but a true Guild Wars fan would understand.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Confused 6

The new stuff is just fine. Honeystly: We already have a ton of stuff. Will get harder and harder for new players to catch up and I enjoy having caught up on most festival stuff - being able to just do my daily routine (which here is pretty long - I like to get a lot of tokens cause they are cheap ... could buy the voucher every week and still be left with an increase of tokens).

I also like that they timed it before the expansion. (Also new PvP season should be running a bit by the time the expansion got released.) Less pressure - and full focus on the epxansion possible then. I hope the weekly chests (here an easy weekly lol ... doing my daily routine gives me more than 100/200 already ... I DO a full daily on each gauntlet tier and each enemy there - including Ossa) are the last addition. Then only maybe annuals an new thing. We don't need a new weapon set every year to just unlock (and then never going to use it - just forced to get it by the need to go for completion lol).

The guild stuff seems cool though. Since I'm leveling a solo guild now. And I like the rental posts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

@kelly.7019 Sadly my guild is a tiny raiding guild, so none of these have any worth for me; esp the griffon rental. I guess if you're in a large active guild they might have some value, maybe for beetle race tracks also.

The beetle and griffon rental posts are for new players to try them out in the GH even if they have yet to unlock them. Lots of new players are still looking for guilds to join, so it should be pretty easy to recruit them. And, if your GH is in Windswept Haven, the two rental posts fit right in! 😄

As for the Canthan Garden Walls, Stair Bridges and Seitung Bridge, they are just eye candy decoration or for RP hangouts. If your GH is in IoR those are nothing new but for the rest of us not in Seitung, they are cool looking and pretty. I somehow managed to put up 10 Garden Walls, 3 Stair Bridges and 1 Seitung Bridge into my desert guild hall and they all blended pretty well too! I love it 🥰

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:10 AM, Anvar.5673 said:

I somehow agree even if most of that, outside the W3-1, are more small touches than real content. I mean, I know they can't always do more and more but they could at least do some efforts for the Lunar New Year.

id love more for lunar new year but saying that added npcs story and achievements is 'more small touches than real content' is a flawed statement

i mean thats basically lws1 defined right there

did they have a full year of just small touches in 2013? 

On 7/19/2023 at 11:10 AM, Anvar.5673 said:

That's why they can do a new stand alone map/hub of Shing Jea for example, like they already did with Arborstone, to not interfere with the Seitung Province map.

It could be accessed with a pin on the world map like in was the case in Guild Wars 1.

I agree that they could do something in Arborstone too but the Impress Inn lies in the Royal Court's Monastery and this place have the best scenary to comune with the celestials.

Maybe it would seem abstract for the average player but a true Guild Wars fan would understand.

i dont think they mechanically can do that 'pin on the world map' nor should they

they long confirmed that its a pain to overlap maps so they wouldnt make a hub over an open world map

at best itd be rightly adjacent like the aerodome and lions arch

i could see them making an isolated map for the festival like labyrinthine cliffs

thatd be better tbh than just reusing the monastery just for the kitten all state of reusing the monastery because omg gw1 callback

in fact a new map placed elsewhere in cantha would be better because it also lets us explore more of cantha - maybe kirin peak if yet another pointless gw1 callback is so greatly demanded

and lets face it nobody cares that ihns court is in the monastery nor does that matter for lny since itd be celebrated by all canthans anywhere anyways

plus the celestials werent communed with at shing jea specifically but anywhere in gw1 anyways so that bit of omg gw1 callback would be wrong and make the lore a bit shallow in its falsehood

like the idea that ritualists keep ghosties around for the heck of it when in gw1 they actually helped souls moved on which was why cantha had almost no wandering spirits outside tahnnakai temple and those bound by ritualists something gw2 got completely backwards and now cantha has more ghosts per square foot than anywhere else in the game it feels like

On 7/21/2023 at 7:12 AM, Luthan.5236 said:

The new stuff is just fine. Honeystly: We already have a ton of stuff. Will get harder and harder for new players to catch up

this is good to point out cuz because the high amount of content to get through can be daunting for just three wkees

we can skim through it cuz we did all the one time achievements but people who hadnt have those and the annuals

much better to improve what is there like maybe adding some achievements for aspect arena so it isnt an abandoned forgotten part of fotfw

fotfw is probably the festival with the most stuff to do so tbh it doesnt need much more added to it

On 7/21/2023 at 7:12 AM, Luthan.5236 said:

I also like that they timed it before the expansion.

on the other hand fotfw would be the perfect festival to show off the new expansion masteries with the easy access griffon adventures with paths through updrafts 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, Funky.4861 said:

@kelly.7019 Sadly my guild is a tiny raiding guild, so none of these have any worth for me; esp the griffon rental. I guess if you're in a large active guild they might have some value, maybe for beetle race tracks also.

yea this is more catering to big guilds and barons. It's great if you can make these mount sign posts for new players to try out the mounts and even a way to market to them maybe, but they are way too expensive for small guilds / solo decorators of small guilds 😉 which has always been the problem with the guild hall decorating concept.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 5:08 PM, Kelly.7019 said:

yea this is more catering to big guilds and barons. It's great if you can make these mount sign posts for new players to try out the mounts and even a way to market to them maybe, but they are way too expensive for small guilds / solo decorators of small guilds 😉 which has always been the problem with the guild hall decorating concept.

Hum, I checked the price of the griffon rental post, because I was curious. 

It's 12gold and 5000festival token (around 4 days doing the festival, maybe 3 if you farmed it a bit)

Don't seem inaccessible. 

• Like 1