Learn from this post and stop making overly ironic gearbox style writing

this is just how everything was before it all became darker and edgier in the early to mid 2000s, which many of us consider the dark age of entertainment rather than an era of enlightenment, in which everything was written like a teenage highschool drama.

i guarantee you could put on any show from the 80s-90s and probably start calling it cringe immediately.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 5
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

this is just how everything was before it all became darker and edgier in the early to mid 2000s, which many of us consider the dark age of entertainment rather than an era of enlightenment, in which everything was written like a teenage highschool drama.

i guarantee you could put on any show from the 80s-90s and probably start calling it cringe immediately.

Maybe it is my rose colored glasses, but I loved Hey Arnold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Poor Joss Whedon, being made responsible for this. 😆 However, BtVS and GW2 are two completely different genres -- and like in most cases, mixing genres rarely ends in an acceptable result. I hope that SotO will be more "mature" and classy in that regard.

That's part of the irony.  It isn't the entirety of BtVS that sounds like this.  It was just Buffy that had that cutesy snark to her.  But, it was influential enough  that when it came out, all of the teenage girls started speaking and acting like her.  I wrote like that for awhile, too, and I made an active effort to change my writing style once I realized what I was doing  Fast Forward 20 years, and that particular character style permeates everything, creating and perpetuating a cyclical dialect.

It's funny how that happens.  In an slightly unrelated note, we have a mini-generation that talks with Australian accents, due to how popular Bluey was during the lockdowns.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

That kind of dialogue is overused, true, but there's some better stuff in the game too. Some of the NPC's and even enemies have good lines.

I have to admit my all-time favorite is the mocking "You ran from Skritt..." in one of the starter zones. I'll sometimes run a Lv80 away from them on purpose just to hear it. Good for a chuckle every time.

Now if we could just get Marjory to sound a little less like some weird cross between Xena Warrior Princess and Mae West...

• Like 5

I thought the issue was just the way EoD dialogue wantonly tosses around modern cuss words and phrases, as opposed to previous expansions and core Tyria where it was written like it was medieval fantasy. It seemed at first like it was the way Canthans (and Aetherblades, l guess) talk, but then the Commander does some of it, too. Felt really jarring to me.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Poor Joss Whedon, being made responsible for this. 😆 However, BtVS and GW2 are two completely different genres -- and like in most cases, mixing genres rarely ends in an acceptable result. I hope that SotO will be more "mature" and classy in that regard.

As long as "mature" doesn't mean fake pretentious seriousness, I'm OK with it. 

I like it when characters are more realistic. 

The main character calling the villian an ugly kitten kitten motherkittener is more realistic then calling them the full title. 

But that's just me. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

On 7/17/2023 at 1:11 PM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Uhhh, no. 80s/90s weren't always sarcastic and ironic, even though there was some tryhard edgy stuff in that era, generally the tone of media was very eclectic and diverse to chose from depending on what suited your taste. Generally, even the sillier or meta-critique of stuff wasn't a constant stream of non-stop cynicism and trying to insert obnoxious witty dialog everywhere. Most importantly, it was appropriately placed in the correct franchises. If something was subversive or meant to be a cynical meta-critique on the current state of society then you knew what it was about from the jump (unless you weren't paying attention). GW2 didn't start off like this, like at all. It was more similar to other high fantasy medieval mixed with sci-fi / magic elements worlds.

GW2's "writing" (if you can call it that) is annoying because at the beginning of the game's story it went from taking itself somewhat seriously/a silly joke here and there to full blown West Coast American ironic "witty" sitcom-tier humor. "Hey, hey, this story is stupid right? What about laughing at this? HAHA, we're so totally in on the joke" kind of annoying, pretentious "humor" that reeks of insecurity and people who think writing a story with high stakes and emotional depth/maturity deeper than a puddle is ~cwinge~.

Edited by BloodyVampyra.3741
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:11 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

There was still wannabe edgy stuff in the 90's, that's because the 90's was the last era of genuine and diverse artistic expression. Music, film, games, fashion. It was an era of experimentation. The 2000s, yes the dark age, was when corporations took over media and entertainment. And we're still in that dark age. The rise of 'reality tv' sealed the deal. Cheap, low-budget crash tv.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:09 AM, BloodyVampyra.3741 said:

GW2's "writing" (if you can call it that) is annoying because at the beginning of the game's story it went from taking itself somewhat seriously/a silly joke here and there to full blown West Coast American ironic "witty" sitcom-tier humor. "Hey, hey, this story is stupid right? What about laughing at this? HAHA, we're so totally in on the joke" kind of annoying, pretentious "humor" that reeks of insecurity and people who think writing a story with high stakes and emotional depth/maturity deeper than a puddle is ~cwinge~.

Yup! It's like you read my mind. Pretentious cynicism that thinks it's SOOOOO clever. And these same people will call everyone else "smug" for calling it out.

Of course, they miss the obvious irony (the entire point of their schtick) at play. Since people that wax poetically about how 'clever' and 'authentic' they are, end up behaving the EXACT same way lmao!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Yeah, that and the "Ghostbusters 2016" movie style of writing with non-stop quips after every line of dialogue; full of unfunny jokes in which the only one laughing is the director while he pats himself on the back so often it bruises. Quips can kill things, that's why it's a gun.

Gotta have comedic timing and some level of intelligence behind it. Otherwise you're just grabbing a bucket of darts with jokes written on them and hurling them all at once without aiming, hoping one will stick. I often feel like I'm just showered in these darts in every dialogue exchange and none of them are sharp so they just bounce off.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Yeah, that and the "Ghostbusters 2016" movie style of writing with non-stop quips after every line of dialogue; full of unfunny jokes in which the only one laughing is the director while he pats himself on the back so often it bruises. Quips can kill things, that's why it's a gun.

Gotta have comedic timing and some level of intelligence behind it. Otherwise you're just grabbing a bucket of darts with jokes written on them and hurling them all at once without aiming, hoping one will stick. I often feel like I'm just showered in these darts in every dialogue exchange and none of them are sharp so they just bounce off.

It just hit me: this stuff is everywhere! Sitcoms, movies, animation, freakin' Rick and Morty (I hate that show). Writers so far up their own backside it sticks out the other end. Just shoving all their faux-cynicism down everybody's throat and pretend it's filet mignon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:10 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

That's part of the irony.  It isn't the entirety of BtVS that sounds like this.  It was just Buffy that had that cutesy snark to her.  But, it was influential enough  that when it came out, all of the teenage girls started speaking and acting like her.  I wrote like that for awhile, too, and I made an active effort to change my writing style once I realized what I was doing  Fast Forward 20 years, and that particular character style permeates everything, creating and perpetuating a cyclical dialect.

It's funny how that happens.  In an slightly unrelated note, we have a mini-generation that talks with Australian accents, due to how popular Bluey was during the lockdowns.  

It's been a long time since I watched Buffy, but in addition to what you wrote, I don't remember her spouting monologues of the stuff. Whedon was good at throwing witty banter back and forth between characters. It was sharp and well timed. The show was also able to go to serious places. It didn't undermine its own emotional peaks by incessantly throwing the snark into every moment.

Whedon, at his height, reminded me of Neil Simon. Able to move an audience from laughter to tears and back without either undermining the other.

Like later generations of architects turning out boxy skyscrapers and every 15 year old artist trying to draw in a Manga style, we have writers imitating Whedon without really understanding what he did when he did it well.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:09 AM, Hologram.2810 said:

Uhhh, no. 80s/90s weren't always sarcastic and ironic, even though there was some tryhard edgy stuff in that era, generally the tone of media was very eclectic and diverse to chose from depending on what suited your taste. Generally, even the sillier or meta-critique of stuff wasn't a constant stream of non-stop cynicism and trying to insert obnoxious witty dialog everywhere. Most importantly, it was appropriately placed in the correct franchises. If something was subversive or meant to be a cynical meta-critique on the current state of society then you knew what it was about from the jump (unless you weren't paying attention). GW2 didn't start off like this, like at all. It was more similar to other high fantasy medieval mixed with sci-fi / magic elements worlds.

And a bunch of us non-USA people cringe.