The best months of WvW were lived at the Edge of the Mists

Anvar.5673

The best months of the WvW were when the Edge of the Mists was popular.

Destroying bridges with ennemy zerg on it was fun. Jumping from a tower with a warrior with the Death from above trait was fun. The map is beautiful and the mecanics, environements and ennemies are varied.

Even if most of WvW players don't want a new map since all the hate for the desert one, the Edge of the Mists was the best in terms of popularity and fun.

If ArenaNet activated the skirmish reward track and put the same reward tracks points (195 instead of 146) and WXP (I'm not sure about it if it was nerfed), the rest of the WvW would be nearly dead.

• Like 7
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

I never cared all that much for edge of the mists. Perhaps the fact that opposing forces avoided eachother in order to focus on PvE even more than sometimes happens in WvW contributed to my take on the map. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I never cared all that much for edge of the mists. Perhaps the fact that opposing forces avoided eachother in order to focus on PvE even more than sometimes happens in WvW contributed to my take on the map. 

There was a small period of time when EotM was the best place to go for fighting.

It didn't last, sadly, but some of the best fights I've ever had where on that map.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Was it popular because it was a fun map or because of the easy rewards... 🤔

The locust chase whatever offers the most easy rewards. 😏

🙂 I don't know if we met. I like coffee, I am a kittenhole, and I tend to be a dumbkitten. Remind me to sleep. 🙂 

Rest well my friend. 🙂 May we try this after some sleep and we can get paid. Stupid addictions to paying bills. Till then 🙂 /wave from this marble missing peep. 🙂

5 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

So do we have server pride that world restructure can kill or not when WvW was at its best with no servers on a single infinitely instanced map?

Now I'm confused again.

They had tri-colored pride. 🤢🥶🥵

You can spot the eotm old timer with their green blue red scout chat calls these days. 🤭

(for the incoming confused yes I know it's the name tag abbreviation it's a joke)...

Funny too eotm has different team mates every week (although not quite as frequent with locked glicko tiers), but people still scream about having new team mates every eight weeks in the other systems. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

I wouldn't say it was the best, but it had its moments. 

^^^^ This. Had some serious stellar moments. Course its also like video pokers. Hit a royal straight flush once and you are hooked. That moment when you had the bridge ready drop and the zerg just zergs across it without checking it and you drop it while they are in the middle. Hooked. 🙂 

Not to mention various choke points and overhangs where smaller groups could siege ambush a bigger side. But agree can't say best since a group that had people playing all three sides could game the map which is one of the issues with the setup. It's also a cautionary tale to watch out for in the WR project since the same issues could appear again on the regular maps as well due to the same reason when new servers are remixed every 8 weeks.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 7:46 PM, Anvar.5673 said:

The best months of the WvW were when the Edge of the Mists was popular.

Destroying bridges with ennemy zerg on it was fun. Jumping from a tower with a warrior with the Death from above trait was fun. The map is beautiful and the mecanics, environements and ennemies are varied.

Even if most of WvW players don't want a new map since all the hate for the desert one, the Edge of the Mists was the best in terms of popularity and fun.

If ArenaNet activated the skirmish reward track and put the same reward tracks points (195 instead of 146) and WXP (I'm not sure about it if it was nerfed), the rest of the WvW would be nearly dead.

Not all WvW players hate the desert one. And some hated the desert one because it's cumbersome to navigate, which has been improved since.

I do want a new map.

If ANet could make a seashore/tropical jungle map, I would be the happiest.
Bay would be in the ocean with sharks swimming around, it would be perfect.
The Citadel would be a dormant volcano.
The south part would have some beach and mangrove.

• Like 3

Edge of the Mists was okay. There was a lot of fighting and it got people interested in WvW again.

I think what the failure to maintain a population shows is there are deep fundamental flaws in this game that turn people off and why they go back to other MMOs and games. I am talking problems beyond "I don't like boonballs" or whatever the flavor is on the forum for a particular day.

It's funny because their entire design philosophy for the open world is the complete opposite of their combat design, their pvp/wvw design, their end game pve design.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I wasn't there at the time but it seemed fun.

As said before, it just needs pips, gliding and the Warclaw to make it active again. And maybe an extra waypoint for ease of navigation.

There's a number of issues here ironically. One, add the stuff and things to bring it inline with regular WvW being all the movement issues (Gliding/Mounts), all the pips and reward tracks. After that we get into the more challenging aspects.

Use it for its' purpose as overflow and link the scoring of it to WvW Warscore. That said, to do so they would need to adjust the color linking in EoTM, aka to balance Blue could be all blue across the board but Green and Red should be inter-mixed to balance the three sides.

Another alternative after bringing EoTM in line to base WvW for the above mentioned is apply the WR logic to EoTM so it can have a place for ongoing tests week by week for sorting logic at the player/guild/alliance level. Now when you do that how do encourage testing while discouraging karma trains? So to do that you need to skip Call To War but add incentive for sides to Win their EoTM matchups. What form does that takes? Maybe use the weekly WvW model that includes, taking, defending, killing and other factors to combat people just looking to ktrain and kill trade. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
  • Like 1

As much as I hate necromancers, I can't stop chuckling every time I watch one of those old videos with the fear wall in EotM.... that thing was precious.

EotM is definitively a more casual experience than the rest of WvW, for good and bad. The system with a few hours matches, opening and closing maps as population changes and matches runs out of time, actually made it constantly more or less filled. So it was able to basically have constant action, something WvW struggles with. Similarly it's trying to constantly adjust maps to the number of players every couple of hours. In many ways it's like a WvW version of sPvP matches. Combined that with the initial high rewards, and it's clear why it got very popular with the casual players that wanted to try/experience wvw without having to go "try hard". 

But it's also for those same reasons that EotM mode just didn't fit into WvW proper, and why the majority of veteran WvW players disliked it, because it lacks the thing that ties people together. Having a set community to work/improve/fight/drama/ragequit with. That feeling of progress with rising in racks. Any feeling of continuity, that anything you do matters past loot right here and now. And the longer we go back in GW2 history the more those things mattered to players.

So, EotM and the rest of WvW are very much opposites in a lot of ways, even if they seem similar in the basics. I don't think there's any way to really incorporate it that doesn't make it predate on the rest of WvW or visa versa. If ANet added proper rewards to EotM then I'm fairly confident that the majority of pugs/pve players would just go there and ditch normal WvW, which would likely make most server+links struggle to even fill EBG in prime time. (And we'd have a lot of "fight guilds", or perhaps "bag guilds", run after them to EotM for "quality content"). Not to mention that the point system just flat wouldn't work, when each team is 8 or 9 servers mashed together, how the heck would you divide points?

Putting EotM into WvW proper, and thus disabling the whole system with dividing servers to the 3 colours, and fill them with with opening/closing maps. And then you're just stuck with a map in WvW that doesn't have most of the things that made it popular in the first place (short matches, filled up as new players from anywhere queue up, constant action). 

I'd really love to say that GW2 players will play fun content and skip boring content, even if baited with rewards. But the sad truth is that GW2 players in general would sell their own grandmother for some random in-game loot, and do any boring content they can find if there's some shiny behind it. 

/rant

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

I don't think there's any way to really incorporate it that doesn't make it predate on the rest of WvW or visa versa.

I've never played EotM but, is there a reason to not make EotM a separate game mode?  Let EotM and WvW compete for players?  If it turns out WvW loses players just reduce the number of servers.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 8:37 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

That was a balance problem. Green had always 2-3 times as many people than red and blue. 
So what do you do with 20 vs 50 as commander?

The rate times when it was more balanced it had over the day more fights than WvW.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

I've never played EotM but, is there a reason to not make EotM a separate game mode?  Let EotM and WvW compete for players?  If it turns out WvW loses players just reduce the number of servers.

It is already a separate game mode and it already competes for players. You can't be in both at the same time, so in that sense it's like PvE versus WvW. Each player will have their own reasons to not run in EoTM. For me, scoring in EoTM not impacting WvW means you are just not aiding your side, especially if you see players link they need more and are outnumbered since the chat is shared. Won't go into linked scoring since that leads to sides balancing and a whole other tirade of issues, but will stick to its original purpose as an overflow. So when all maps are queued still prefer to head there to hunt versus just hang out in PvE waiting for a queue pop. Though, every time I hit the mount key it makes me shake my head all the same. Good hunting where you find it.