-usecoherent and -dx9 no longer working with patch? [Merged]

1 minute ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

I'm getting a different problem, or else a pair of problems.

I would suggest starting a new thread with information about your system and graphics settings if you want forum users to try to assist you in troubleshooting.

Or open a support ticket.

16 hours ago, Lady of Chaos.2514 said:

Found a solution that seems to work if you are using Wine. If you follow this guide https://asmaloney.com/2022/07/howto/running-guild-wars-2-with-dx11-on-macos-using-wine/, but make the following modifications

• use the latest engine to date -> WS11WineCX64Bit22.1.1-8 as of July 18, 2023
  • do not add any winetricks
  • do not use the  -usecoherent flag

and follow the rest of the steps

That is FANTASTIC! I've been using his guide for my couple Mac's and have even interacted with him since the most recent change. I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to -usecoherent no longer working with patch? [Merged]
1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Ah, so it runs, it just doesn't look good.  Have you opened a support ticket yet?  Anet needs as much data as we can send them to actually fix the rendering issues.

Of course, as I did months ago. Then they suggested the -dx9 workaround. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Forum Moderator.3074 changed the title to -usecoherent and -dx9 no longer working with patch? [Merged]
2 minutes ago, Gumbolia.5381 said:

I wish they hadn't merged these topics - -usecoherent and -dx9 are two completely different things.

Before this patch, you could run DX11 with coherent instead of CEF - nothing to do with DX9.

They both are command line options for technology that is being removed from the game though.  It would be nice to know when it's supposed to actually be removed from the game considering that the command line options aren't supposed to crash the game.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gumbolia.5381 said:

I guess that makes sense. They can ignore one thread instead of two. :classic_biggrin:

This morning the threads in the bug section got merged here too. I guess the command line options crashing the game aren't considered a bug either. 😞

• Sad 1

I honestly wish they would just address the color bloom/saturation problem that I and many other players are having without the need to go through the ticket system. It's not a bug. It's not a player issue (unless you're running on a system that doesn't support dx11 at all). The fact of the matter is that we need better graphics options besides being told to futz with Post Processing (which I never ran to begin with). I just want the game to look as good on dx11 as it did on dx9.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DebraKadabra.5278 said:

I honestly wish they would just address the color bloom/saturation problem that I and many other players are having without the need to go through the ticket system. It's not a bug. It's not a player issue (unless you're running on a system that doesn't support dx11 at all). The fact of the matter is that we need better graphics options besides being told to futz with Post Processing (which I never ran to begin with). I just want the game to look as good on dx11 as it did on dx9.

It's not only postprocessing.  Shaders influence the saturation problem too.  And it can be unique per graphic asset too.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Ah, so it runs, it just doesn't look good.  Have you opened a support ticket yet?  Anet needs as much data as we can send them to actually fix the rendering issues.

It's more than just "not looking good."  The colors are so hypersaturated that the game gives me a literal headache and hurts my eyes.  I've turned off postprocessing, turned down the gamma, and tweaked other settings but if this continues I basically won't be able to play, or at least not for more than a few minutes at a time.  A shame, since I've supported the game since the early days of GW1 and buy gems whenever I can, plus preordered SotO.  I get that most people don't have these issues, but enough of us do that it's a real issue, and more than just cosmetic.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

It's more than just "not looking good."  The colors are so hypersaturated that the game gives me a literal headache and hurts my eyes.  I've turned off postprocessing, turned down the gamma, and tweaked other settings but if this continues I basically won't be able to play, or at least not for more than a few minutes at a time.  A shame, since I've supported the game since the early days of GW1 and buy gems whenever I can, plus preordered SotO.  I get that most people don't have these issues, but enough of us do that it's a real issue, and more than just cosmetic.

Could you post some screenshots and your graphics settings because I don't think anyone can relate to or even attempt to re-create what you're seeing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DebraKadabra.5278 said:

Are you for real!? We shouldn't HAVE to post screenshots to someone who doesn't even work for ANet. It's clear to me that your system works just fine and that's all you care about.

And yet you're posting here on a forum that Anet barely reads and doesn't give tech support to players through.  For what purpose?  And who said my system works just fine?  I posted my own screenshots.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Could you post some screenshots and your graphics settings because I don't think anyone can relate to or even attempt to re-create what you're seeing.

Judging from the many posts from other players with the exact same issues, I'm sure they understand perfectly what I'm seeing without screenshots.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Judging from the many posts from other players with the exact same issues, I'm sure they understand perfectly what I'm seeing without screenshots.

Anet hasn't fixed it yet and it's been going on for quite awhile.  Perhaps the real reason they disabled the dx9 workaround?  Force players to contact support and send in all their dxdiag and/or screenshots info.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

Also, I messed around with Shaders, Post Processing, AND Gamma and nothing removes the oversaturation that I am currently experiencing, and as evidenced in etienne's screenshot. Just to, you know, further confirm that it's still visually garbo for me.

Edited by DebraKadabra.5278
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, etienne.1039 said:

It looks like this https://ibb.co/NYf7dJ5

Yikes!  Thanks.  That's not the same kind of brightness/saturation problem I see on my system when I turn up Shaders and Postprocessing.  I can't get the game to look like that unless I turn the gamma up.  It's possible the game is running into some gamma setting bug on your system.  I wonder if there's some BGFX bug about that which would explain why it's not fixed yet.

Edited by Chaba.5410

1 hour ago, DebraKadabra.5278 said:

Also, I messed around with Shaders, Post Processing, AND Gamma and nothing removes the oversaturation that I am currently experiencing, and as evidenced in etienne's screenshot. Just to, you know, further confirm that it's still visually garbo for me.

Same.  As I already said, changing shaders, postprocessing, and gamma does not change the situation. Colors are oversaturated to the point of retina burning (sarcasm, but it is bad enough to give me an immediate headache).  Hopefully there will be a fix.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

I would even be fine with it if I have old pc, I would accept the fact that I have to upgrade to be able to play with dx11 because they removed the option to play with dx9. But my pc is very new, from last year and the only reason why I was playing with dx9 was because they cant make dx11 right and working. How does this even make sense to them? What was the reason?

Also their saying that exclusive fullscreen and windowed fullscreen is the same thing is so kitten stupid, there is many reason why you want to have both options in the game and the reason why majority if not all games have BOTH options. It is a reason why your game is unplayable for many players and the reason why they forced the game to run in dx9. If you dont have people to make your game work then maybe skip making stupid skins for once.

I have the same thought.

My PC does support the minimum, but only worked with dx9, because I too can't make it run with dx 11. 😞

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, etienne.1039 said:

It looks like this https://ibb.co/NYf7dJ5

Just chiming in to say that on my previous comp I was running (gaming laptop, only ~3-4 years old at that point) my game looked like this when the forced dx11 switch happened. Nothing I did fixed it, and it gave me royal headaches playing the game longer than 10 minutes. The only thing that fixed it was buying a whole new desktop, which says a lot.

2 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yikes!  Thanks.  That's not the same kind of brightness/saturation problem I see on my system when I turn up Shaders and Postprocessing.  I can't get the game to look like that unless I turn the gamma up.  It's possible the game is running into some gamma setting bug on your system.  I wonder if there's some BGFX bug about that which would explain why it's not fixed yet.

I saw many threads pop up with people saying they were having the same issue around that time (it was earlier in the year iirc? my memory isn't great) and afaik no one found a solution to it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

11 hours ago, omylost.2619 said:

(i hear people said is relevant who player use -dx9 for start will trigger this, but i hope dev can response for that problem)

crash report

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: No valid case for switch variable 'grInterface'
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\Gr\Windows\GrWindow.cpp(1084)
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 8360
BaseAddr: 00007FF637EA0000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 148760
When: 2023-07-19T11:17:30Z 2023-07-19T19:17:30+08:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:14
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

*--> Error Logs <--*
11:17:29Z The user closed the browser.
11:17:29Z The browser is being closed.
11:17:29Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
11:17:29Z The user closed the browser.
11:17:29Z CEF is closing the browser.
Crashed at 11:17:30Z

I got that crash too, next time I launch the game it simply disappears after initialising (with the window still visible on the taskbar but unclickable).  Removing the -dx9 -usecoherent does not change this...

Edited by Nazarick.9653