exciting! ranger has a good quick dps build now.. is there an alac dps?

doc.9162

The "best" is likely to use cele gear with alac trait, otherwise the build should be exactly the same as the dps build. Ritualist gear lacks precision, and not using sharpened edges would be a huge additional dps loss. Don't think druid makes a good alac dps tho, because you have to spend too much time spamming ca abilities, which prevent you from dealing dmg. Astral force generation might also be an issue. Also doesn't bring a whole lot besides alac to the table without trading even more dmg and at that point it is better to just go heal. Which btw doesn't mean dealing no dmg at all.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

Id argue that there is not an alac dps spec. Yes you could make on out of druid but since you need to go into CA to be able to apply it, you can't have both grace of the land and Eclipse, so every time you apply alac your dps would simply full stop. There are other classes that don't have that problem that will just be stronger for the role.

• Like 1

There’s sort of a build there, but still runs into a couple issues. I played one for IBS5, but with gear that I came up with instead of someone smarter than me.

Celestial may be the way to go since it gives us condi damage, precision, concentration, and expertise, but in places where the toughness would be a problem there’s Ritualist (which lacks precision) and Seraphs (which lacks condi duration). Majority of Druid’s damage comes from bleeds though so using Krait runes and sigil of agony can give us 70%, increased to 90% from using Light on your Feet and Natural Balance. I can’t remember exactly what my 2nd sigil was, but I was looking at concentration sigil for the extra boon duration.

Not having Eclipse is a dps loss which is a given for alac builds needing to sacrifice dps to get alacrity, but CA still has some indirect damaging abilities because of CA3 daze and CA5 immobilize applying Bleed from Blood Moon. The way I was doing alac at least was CA 5 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 2 or something along those lines. I could still get at least some damage from cycling those abilities in. I was able to maintain alacrity with a 1-2 second buffer.

Generating astral force is still iffy at times, but being able to rotate in some Spirit of Water or Healing Spring casts for the group could occasionally grant me some.

7 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

The "best" is likely to use cele gear with alac trait, otherwise the build should be exactly the same as the dps build. Ritualist gear lacks precision, and not using sharpened edges would be a huge additional dps loss. Don't think druid makes a good alac dps tho, because you have to spend too much time spamming ca abilities, which prevent you from dealing dmg. Astral force generation might also be an issue. Also doesn't bring a whole lot besides alac to the table without trading even more dmg and at that point it is better to just go heal. Which btw doesn't mean dealing no dmg at all.

I beg to differ. First off sharpened edges is a 33% chance on crit, which is not that great.
Additionally it's not a minor trait - you must slot it. Which means you're throwing away trapper's expertise.
Even if Sharpened Edges is a net gain (I don't know tbh) it's likely not that much considering dps lost from trapper's.

And then comes the big pain point - crit chance. With celestial you'll get 60% crit chance with fury.
So 6 outta 10 hits on average will crit, 1/3 of those will cause a bleed. so 2 outta 10  on average  - 20% of hits.
If you want to increase that crit chance things get ugly. Vicious quarry will help both with crit chance and ferocity, but then you'd be throwing light on your feet or quick draw under the bus. Both very powerful traits.

The thing about cele is that you need tons of free stats to make up it'd deficiencies in major stats you need.
Condi zerker can pull it off, since he's got tons of free condi damage, crit chance and ferocity if he only so wishes.
Druid doesn't.

52 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I beg to differ. First off sharpened edges is a 33% chance on crit, which is not that great.
Additionally it's not a minor trait - you must slot it. Which means you're throwing away trapper's expertise.
Even if Sharpened Edges is a net gain (I don't know tbh) it's likely not that much considering dps lost from trapper's.

And then comes the big pain point - crit chance. With celestial you'll get 60% crit chance with fury.
[...]

It's 70% crit because of hunter's tactics - same as with viper's gear btw. Sharpened Edges has always been a staple trait for any condi dps ranger build, even before the trap trait nerf and on builds that ran multiple traps. On condi druid you should only use 1 trap and you dont't even get the cdr anymore, so yea, absolutely no way trapper's expertise comes anywhere close. That's a useless trait now.

Also seraph could be mixed in potentially, since bleed duration can be overcapped with cele/viper, for more condi dmg and crit over pure cele.

Either way, alac dps druid will be rather weak and not really worth running.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

Shouldn't the 60% Bleeding duration increase from Trapper's Expertise for  a Spike Trap that's 25 seconds CD now be pretty strong?
Not completely competitive with Sharpened Edges but for a build that runs less crit chance it should be pretty good?
Maybe someone with too much time rn can take comparison.

But why would you run low crit to begin with? There is no reason to run ritualist and waste all those stats on vitality, when there is cele or seraph gear that provide much more useful stats for druid.

The one thing that makes sharpened edges less effective on alac druid that i hadn't considered yet, is that you have to spend some time not attacking at all. But it likely is still the better trait, because you only have to proc it ~10x every spike trap cast for SE to pull ahead (not even considering that it also works for the pet and crits don't only proc bleeds but also increase your dmg overall - both minor but it ads up).

Edit: After a littel bit of testing i stand corrected - TE is better with ritualist gear and not far behind SE even with cele/seraph gear. Overall dps appears to be fairly similar for both setups. The latter still has the advantage of being able to replace the healer which means more grp dps, as well as better AF generation which is what's limiting a pure alac dps druid the most. So my overall stance on alac dps druid remains.

Generally if you want to provide alac and deal some dmg on druid, i'd rather play it as agressive healer than boon dps, because 1. it will deal less dmg than other boon dps specs while not providing much additional value and 2. you have to spend time healing anyway, so might as well take advantage of it instead of letting all that potential healing go to waste. Druid has so much healing that going full heal isn't neccessary at all for most content.

Also worth noting that druid has a lot of flexibility when it comes to trait and skill choices, so the build should always adapt to what the grp needs. There is not optimal "works for everything" setup.

Edited by Zyreva.1078