Does Magic Find Defeat the Purpose of a Bag Opener Alt-Character?

As I understand it, Magic Find increases the chance of receiving higher-level loot drops as well as improving the outcome of items marked "Affected by Magic Find".

Level 50 alt-characters are used as bag openers to receive lower-level items that are needed for crafting higher level gear.

So,... with the account's Magic Find and  food/utility Magic Find boons, my main character occasionally gets higher-level loot drops... after which my bag opener character opens to get lower-level loot?

Is one defeating the purpose of the other?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Most containers are not affected by magic find, only those that explicitly state it.

Higher level loot drops are worth less because they are more common (since everyone is level 80). Lower level loot drops are still required for ascended and legendary crafting (and those will never drop from containers).

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think I'm starting to get a bead on this...

What @Endaris.1452 said makes sense: "Higher level loot drops are worth less because they are more common (since everyone is level 80)."

So, when it comes to direct drops, for Level 80 characters Magic Find is less impactful than it is for characters that haven't reached Level 80 yet because Level 80 players are already at the upper tiers of basic crafting materials (crafting materials that aren't first crafted from other materials)?

It isn't the containers that I'm stumbling over, it's the "direct drops" that the Magic Find wiki page refers to in the line:  "With a few exceptions, it does not affect  containers  (including  champion loot bags ),  chests ,  Meta events  (including   World boss   Events), or any other source of loot besides direct drops."

So far I've been opening and salvaging everything with my Level 50 character, not selling materials but trying to build-up stock piles of materials for Ascended/Legendary gear and for future characters instead. (I'm trying to lay down a solid foundation of resources with my current character to build upon with future characters.)

Magic Find mainly influences item rarity if you drop an item and this includes unidentified gear dropped by mobs. That means at maxed magic find you're much less likely to drop blue unids and more likely to drop yellow unids. It also means that sometimes when you would drop junk item you can drop a more useful item such as a trophy, material or bag instead. So what you label as "higher level" is not higher level in the sense of item level but instead "better loot" category.

You should also note that the chance for super rare exotics from champion containers still remains even for lower level characters, that is a drop table that doesn't get level adjusted.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Selling what you do not need and buying what you do works easier than finicking with drops and stockpiling materials.

If you sell and buy with orders instead of instant, you won't lose profit from it.

This is definitely wrong.

First of all this only works if sell and buy prices are separated by the amount of TP tax you have to pay for selling or more. For many tems and in particular salvage materials from gear this is definitely not the case. Furthermore this has risk of opportunity, if you list to sell and then it doesn't sell because you get undercut, you paid 5% TP tax for your listing for nothing.

Secondly, if you open stuff on a bag opener, your drops will be worth more. Period. Opening bags and having materials with 5g sell value is better than doing the same on a level 80 character and having materials with only 3g sell value. Anet hasn't introduced a source of direct drops / salvage materials for crafting materials since Lake Doric and it is extremely unlikely for them to do so again and it would be the only thing that could significantly devalue stockpiled materials.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been distracted by the Festival of the Four Winds; still interested in the workings of Magic Find. The sentence quoted below from @Endaris.1452 helped to slot-in one more piece of the puzzle:

On 7/22/2023 at 4:37 PM, Endaris.1452 said:

That means at maxed magic find you're much less likely to drop blue unids and more likely to drop yellow unids.

If I'm following this right, since the majority of players have graduated to Level 80, the loot they get trends to the better-quality side but it is the lower-quality materials that are needed in large quantity for crafting Legendary gear; hence the practice of using a mid-level Bag Opener alt-character to open those better-quality containers (bags, caches, boxes, etc.) and salvage the contents into the lower-level materials needed for Legendary gear.

Now that makes me wonder if Magic Find is a problem for Level-80 characters because it would increase the chances of getting more of the better-quality, non-container, direct drops instead of the lower-quality direct drops?

For some context: I do want to be able to craft Legendary gear, eventually, and although selling materials for profit is nice it is not my main motivator.

I going for a well-stocked warehouse of materials and pantry of ingredients because I enjoy crafting and cooking. (Yes, I'm weird.) I also like the fact that my character's are relatively self-sufficient because of their crafting skills: Level 500 Chef, Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Huntsman; Level 400 Jeweler and Artificer; I'm fishing in the waters around the Lily of the Elon (Musk??) to raise the gold needed for the tuition to max-out Artificer and complete Leatherworker and Tailor.

Scribe is off the list because between my job and real-life obligations, I can't commit to Guild activities often enough and consistently enough to be considered "active" or to become well-practiced and competent for PvP, WvW, Strikes, Raids and such.

Edited by Stryder.8641
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Stryder.8641 said:

Now that makes me wonder if Magic Find is a problem for Level-80 characters because it would increase the chances of getting more of the better-quality, non-container, direct drops instead of the lower-quality direct drops?

No, it's not.

I recommend you to watch this video on how loot tables work in this game and how magic find interacts with them:

tl;dr: Magic find does not affect whether you loot a container/weapon/trophy/etc, it only affects how good the container/weapon/trophy/etc will be.

Magic find is considered not that influential by most people due to how it is stuck between the roll for whether you get an item at all and the roll for what item exactly you get from the rarity category but personally I definitely "felt" myself dropping significantly more exotics from random enemies compared to when my magic find was low (basically from "virtually never" to "rarely").

Edited by Endaris.1452

On 8/7/2023 at 6:44 PM, Stryder.8641 said:

Been distracted by the Festival of the Four Winds; still interested in the workings of Magic Find. The sentence quoted below from @Endaris.1452 helped to slot-in one more piece of the puzzle:

If I'm following this right, since the majority of players have graduated to Level 80, the loot they get trends to the better-quality side but it is the lower-quality materials that are needed in large quantity for crafting Legendary gear; hence the practice of using a mid-level Bag Opener alt-character to open those better-quality containers (bags, caches, boxes, etc.) and salvage the contents into the lower-level materials needed for Legendary gear.

For some context: I do want to be able to craft Legendary gear, eventually, and although selling materials for profit is nice it is not my main motivator.

I going for a well-stocked warehouse of materials and pantry of ingredients because I enjoy crafting and cooking. (Yes, I'm weird.) I also like the fact that my character's are relatively self-sufficient because of their crafting skills: Level 500 Chef, Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Huntsman; Level 400 Jeweler and Artificer; I'm fishing in the waters around the Lily of the Elon (Musk??) to raise the gold needed for the tuition to max-out Artificer and complete Leatherworker and Tailor.

Scribe is off the list because between my job and real-life obligations, I can't commit to Guild activities often enough and consistently enough to be considered "active" or to become well-practiced and competent for PvP, WvW, Strikes, Raids and such.

There's a difference between loot level and drop table rarity.
Magic find affects the drop table rarity -more valuable stuff has lower chance to drop, magic find helps you rolling into that lower % drop item group.
Item level from the bags you're talking about is determined by character level. When you open bags at lvl 5x, you get lower level GEAR, which then salvage to lower level materials. The main goal of having lower level bag openers is irrelevant to your account's magic find.

You don't get worse drops with higher magic find because in this case you're aiming at certain levels of items, which is something that's affected by your character level and not magic find.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1