Account Links

Hey everyone, I don't normally post on forums but for this I feel like I may not be the only one in this situation. I have been playing GW2 and love the game. The story is good, the combat is good, and some of the characters are just funny to hear their lines. I have not put in around 500 hours on my steam account of GW2, granted when I bought the expansions through there I thought I would be able to use my original that I made over 9 years ago just after launch (but that's a different topic), I was curious as to how the lore all began. I wanted to know who were all these people coming into the game that were from GW1. So this led me to watch some videos and read about the lore, which then led me to play it. So I went to steam and bought the GW Trilogy and the Eye of the North expansion to go with my steam account GW2. I then saw where you can earn Hall of Monument achievements by playing GW1 and I was thrilled. Until I went to link my accounts and "at the present time" there is not a way to like my steam bought GW1 account to my steam bought GW2 account. I hope I am not the only one in this situation that feels there could be a fix for these so it gives us access to those achievements, and by posting this maybe it will get some attention that will cause it to be done.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

GW1 can be bought via Steam but it doesn't use your Steam account for logging in. You need an ArenaNet account for GW1 and this gets linked to a GW2 ArenaNet account. When you buy GW2 on Steam you are essentially playing with a Steam account which cannot be linked.

The support website talks about this.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2

You can link your Steam GW account to your old GW2 account, but ofc the reward skins etc. will then go to the old account. 

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ
"However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website."

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fibbos.3452 said:

I know but what I was trying to say is simply, shouldn't there be a way to link the gw1 to a steam gw2?

Yes there should imo but that is not the case currently. For some likely a technical reason normal (old) GW2 and Steam GW2 accounts are separate whereas the GW1 accounts are not.

Edited by Jukhy.2431

6 hours ago, Fibbos.3452 said:

I know but what I was trying to say is simply, shouldn't there be a way to link the gw1 to a steam gw2?

The GW1 link has to go through ArenaNet authentication servers. Steam accounts use Steam for authentication. This is why there is no way to link them.

• Like 2