Always quitting after a few weeks/months... I don't want to! Help me...

Hi everyone,

so my problem is that I started playing this game a long time ago, but everytime I start it I'm losing interest and I just quit after a while.

I've noticed everytime I install it again and come back, I last even less... The first time I've played it for maybe a whole year straingh, then took a break and I do this maybe once a year.
I just want to stay, because I love the aesthetics, the music, the story, the characters... but I just can't find a reason to play.

I always join a few guilds but most of them seems like just an emtpy one, nothing much really going on, just people online and the same few friends doing content together but us new members are just sitting there.

I always set ups some goals for myself on what I want to do but I lose interest.
Last time I played I finally unlocked Skyscale (yay) but I still never got any piece of legendary gear, but I want to do it.
So I don't know how you people keep playing, but can you tell me a few tips, like how to find a nice and active friendly guild or community?

I have every expansion and I'm planning to buy the new one also, but I'm afraid I'll just play it for a week and quit again. 😞
I know it probably sound stupid and maybe there is no point making this thread but I feel lost...

Please help!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

everyone gets burn out some more then others i play for a few months at a time and quit for a few months. the best advice i could give is do not do the same thing day in and day out mix up your activity you will not get burnt out has fast but it will happen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If you keep quitting frequently, this game might not be tailored for your taste? 🫤

That's also possible but why do I come back every time?
I have a feeling that if I were to find a nice guild and make some friends I'd play longer or maybe wouldn't quit so frequently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Finding a guild that fits you can be tough especially if we are talking about only one. There are growing guilds that have a core and wanna get bigger and have fun but then real life happens, people quit, taking break etc and the members of such guilds end up in a dead enviroment. There are also guilds that while are medium sized and leveled up, arent well organized nor focusing on bringing everyone together but rather hosting everyone and offer a home. There are guilds that wanna include everyone but dont have the needed persons (like raid trainers) to make it happen. There are guilds that the major focus is to level up and milk their members. Guilds for high end play. Guilds for casual play (which means rare activites), guilds just for wvw, for pvp or guilds that are more thematic like race guilds, art and etc.

So yeah, you can get "lost" or forgotten kinda easy but deciding yourself what kind of content you wanna play and how frequently you want to play with your guildies, will help you a lot to find a proper one.  You might as well join 1 for wvw/pvp 1 for raids/trainings, 1 thematic, 1 growing or big. You can check the "looking for guild" sections in the forum and in the official gw2 discord or even on reddit. It could help also to say what level of experience you have and ask if there are any groups/trainings or at least other members at your level to do stuff with. There are many guilds that are good, active and organized with a good discord with people talking almost 24/7, posting memes, nsfw and etc.

Don't give up and keep trying 🙂 And/or you can even start your own guild (takes time to get people+level it up)

Regarding the game itself, things you could do is to try other classes/specilizations/builds, try other content like raids/fractals/strikes/meta events/farm trains/wvw/pvp and/or fashion wars. This game is huge and offers so many styles of play that is really up to you and what you like.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tyrick.9805 said:

I'm losing interest and I just quit after a while.

I just can't find a reason to play.

So I don't know how you people keep playing, but can you tell me a few tips, like how to find a nice and active friendly guild or community?

I have every expansion and I'm planning to buy the new one also, but I'm afraid I'll just play it for a week and quit again. 😞

I know it probably sound stupid and maybe there is no point making this thread but I feel lost...

Please help!

1- Balance patches ruin good builds

2- There isn't any reason to play, you just do it

3- I do 5 min daily and wait for patch

4- EOD worse expansion yet

5- As lost as every gw2 player, current anet forgot all about legendary runes, now anet is separating its unique effect and o selling it under another name. People still don't understand it.

6- What if I told you , We are all lost

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, stormemperor.3745 said:

1- Balance patches ruin good builds

2- There isn't any reason to play, you just do it

3- I do 5 min daily and wait for patch

4- EOD worse expansion yet

5- As lost as every gw2 player, current anet forgot all about legendary runes, now anet is separating its unique effect and o selling it under another name. People still don't understand it.

6- What if I told you , We are all lost

That didn't really help 😧

I'm not hating any expansions. I liked EoD when it came out, I just didn't have people to play with and probably lost interest.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Playing for a year at a time is a decent time.

I also quit after 1 year after the game came out. There was nothing interesting to do anymore, just the same frustrating fractal routine with the same people (which kept me in the game longer than I should have) and a bit of WvW and a bit of dungeon, but always the same. I got tired of it before I actually quit.

And that's ok.

A pretty easy legendary item is the amulet you get for the return achievements. These are the living world maps and metas, nothing complicated.

Obviously, you need an emotional anchor or a community that interacts with you on a regular basis. It's not easy to find the right guild. I can't give any advice on that, since I'm not looking for it anymore (I see it as a curse that keeps me playing, even when I'm already burned out and annoyed). But if I were looking for it, I would interact more with people on my server in WvW. That's the only mode where there are still separate servers, and if you're active, you'll always find the same people there. The active community isn't very big, but maybe it will grow on you. If you use their voice chat, you'll get to know them and maybe decide to join one of their guilds. If wvw is not your thing in the long run, then I can only advise you to switch guilds until you find one that will take you in to stay.

The best guilds I had were always the ones that recruited me directly and not the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GW2 is the best game to get fascinated with for a couple months and then shelve it for a couple months again.

You're completely right in that a community would be the thing to keep you permahooked, but that would still be the community, the people you talk to, NOT the game itself specifically. And finding one is hard and requires commitment from your side too. It's not even playing with others so much as hopping into voice chat and talk, you'll automatically end up playing more and getting integrated into older "cliques" inside guilds if the chemistry is there.

I took multiple months or year long breaks myself and there's nothing wrong with that.

I quit for a few years due to multiple issues in life and in game.  I just kind of got overwhelmed and lost interest in the same manner you mention.

One thing that has helped me get back in is one of the guilds I am with, Incoming Quaggans [iQ] has excellent members and a lot of communication and organized activities.  I would recommend checking out this discord if you want to get an idea on the guild - discord.gg/zRNgywE.  I do have to add that when I quit, I was already a member and had been active, for me, for a bit.  It was mostly the in life issues that overwhelmed the connection to guild members.  There are regularly scheduled guild events, guild missions a few times a week, raid/strike/dragon mission trainings and runs, and a few people have helped me out with learning WvW and fractals.

Another thing that really got me back in was picking achievements to tackle in smaller groupings, (I am a completionist at heart and kept focusing on too many things at once).  I regularly run with my brother and we just started going through achievement lists starting with EoD maps.  It was amazingly simple to start getting the map zone masteries complete.  We also started the legendary journey masteries, we started them all at once and we are ready for level 2 for almost all of them.

I also have found a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment with helping new players so I try to check LFG and some times Map Chat to see if people need help with anything.

I would be happy to run with you to see if you find working on any of the achievements to be fun rather than work.  I am in NA east coast btw but can end up playing any time of day/night depending on day of the week and my work schedule.

I hope that you are able to find something that keeps you going because it sounds to me like you really like this game you are just missing that core thing to drive you to get in.

13 hours ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Try eating and sleeping more, and avoiding direct sunlight, getting low on energy is likely what causes you to quit.

What was the point of your comment exactly?

How do you know how much I'm playing?
Or what do you mean exactly?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Check what you are missing - when you quit. Make a plan for the content you'd like to play. I played from release until end 2013 and had to stop for personal reasons and then "forgot" about the game and only came back in June 2019 and my plan is (which takes time since I also have other hobbies and I play different game modes in GW2 not only one) to bring 9 chars (each for one profession) though the whole story (every story chapter from core + every expansion) + full world and map completion on all the 9 chars. 2 are done already only. But I took a break from progressing the 3rd one. Leveling my solo guild. Playing other games. And the festivals and PvP takes a bit time in GW2 already. Slooooly progressing until I get in the mood to push faster for my 3rd char.

Achievements are also a big thing - I try to complete most that are not too grindy.

Of course for such style - you need to enjoy different professions - and enjoy "completion". The normal player might just play one char through the whole story. Enjoying the other professions just for the game play without trying to complete everything for them.

You seem to want the legendaries? Try setting smaller goals. They can feel grindy - annoying if you don't like to grind. (I never liked that.) Slowly work on gathering money for the components to craft it. While also doing other stuff. (Maybe achievements you still want ot complete. Or doing some fractals - the t1 and t2 can by done by anyone. I usually avoid group content but some "fractal rush" got me into playing them.)

Just doing some dailies (it gives you 2 daily gold) and maybe buying the weekly summoning stones (can sell for a bit of gold ... not that much nowadyas though) in Arborstone - can be enough to slowly gather up a bit gold. But you need a plan and look for content you enjoy. And maybe the possibility of mixing different types of content.