Is there any other way to get Hero points than the open world ones?

While I enjoy the changes done to how you progress in HoT and how it encourages exploration is also very annoying that many of the hero points are unaccessible because of mastery points and I feel like mastery experience is super slow to get, what I mean is all of those areas that requiere you to unlock a mastery to be able to access some paths, I like the idea but grinding masteries becomes a slog really fast and I also don't like that the game isn't how it launched and allowed you to pick what talents you want to get and instead it forces you to get them in a certain order and they put the best ones in the final part of the circle, I prefered the old way where you chose what talents to get first.

• So what other options do I have if any to get Hero points? 
  • Are Hero Points exactly the same number you need to level up all your advanced classes or are ther more than you need?
  • Is there ane asier way to grind masteries?
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You can always play WvW and unlock hero points with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroics_Notary

Every elite specialization so far has required 250 hero points (after the initial change to reduce the requirement form 400).

Some of the easiest ways to grind masteries are metas and experience boosting buffs from food and boosters. For hoT, running some of the easy adventures and getting gold daily is also quite fast.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

You can access every hero point in Verdant Brink with just Gliding and Updrafts.

You can access about every hero point except for 2 in Auric Basin bar one with Gliding, Updrafts, Bouncing Mushrooms and Exalted Markings (latter two can be circumvented by a friendly portal mesmer/thief)

You can access every hero point except for 1 in Tangled Depths with just Gliding and Updrafts.

You can access every hero point except for 1 in Dragon's Stand with just Gliding and Updrafts.

Seems okay to me, Gliding and Updraft mastery are fast enough to level with some events and story.

Generally there are more hero poins than needed in HoT (400) while especs only require 250 to unlock. Other expansions have less (but still more than 250).

For masteries, just take your priorities. The most important ones are the Bouncing Mushrooms, the entire Gliding branch and Exalted Acceptance. Nuhoch Lore is mostly nice to have, there is pretty much no place you can't get to without Nuhoch Wallows. Stealth Detection is great QoL to deal with Snipers but you don't need it in particular. Itzel Lore has some additional nice to have goodies but you can definitely get by without it. Maxing out masteries seems like a long journey (and it is), but there is a reason anet put all the access-related masteries right in front and made them cheapest.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You earn thousands of Testimony of Jade Heroics just by following a tag in WvW. 250 will unlock any elite specialization in the game. I have over 5000. So when I make a new character, I just double click Testimonies for about 15 seconds and bam - that elite specialization is unlocked. WvW is a beautiful thing with so many incredible rewards

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 2:47 PM, Hermes.8159 said:

While I enjoy the changes done to how you progress in HoT and how it encourages exploration is also very annoying that many of the hero points are unaccessible because of mastery points and I feel like mastery experience is super slow to get, what I mean is all of those areas that requiere you to unlock a mastery to be able to access some paths, I like the idea but grinding masteries becomes a slog really fast and I also don't like that the game isn't how it launched and allowed you to pick what talents you want to get and instead it forces you to get them in a certain order and they put the best ones in the final part of the circle, I prefered the old way where you chose what talents to get first.

• So what other options do I have if any to get Hero points? 
  • Are Hero Points exactly the same number you need to level up all your advanced classes or are ther more than you need?
  • Is there ane asier way to grind masteries?

aside from the mastery points in poisoned areas, you can be teleported to any other hero or mastery point by another player that is a mesmer or thief, or has the white mantle portal, or simply has a turtle to use with their personal waypoint. the expansions are group content, so ask for help.

i recommend joining a guild as soon as possible, as the game revolves around them.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

Consider HoT HP trains. They often only require you to have basic gliding and the raptor unlocked. Check the HoT LFG at prime time. The commanders will sometimes broadcast in LA about their start time and location. Some are pretty much pros and have been running this for years. In a matter of a couple of hours, you could have enough HP's completed in VB, AB and TD to unlock two elite specilizations and more.

Accessorily, many PoF and EoD HP's are relatively easy to complete solo. Reaching some of them without upgraded mounts may prove challenging. Good luck.

• Like 2

You have the core hero challenges - they only give 1. Would be a bit tedious to go for all of them just for unlocking your skills. (They are mainly done while going for world completion - which you do for othe reasons.)

The elite specs need 250 to unlock and afaik each expansion has more than that. (Giving you some leeway to do some of them later when going for completion. Or doing all and then having to do less in the next map's expansion.)

People already gave valuable suggestions regarding HP trains and the heroics notary.

For mastery points I suggest to also take it slowly. HoT is the expansion with the most (more than needed and a lot more leeway than in the other mastery lines - Icebrood is the most tight one). Look for the easier ones. And do the meta events - they give a lot of experience. And you only need to do them once for the account. Should not feel that grindy. Especially if you go in with an account that did some (not all) core mastery points - then not being in need of doing all of the HoT ones. Most should be possible to get without a lot of masteries required.

There is rare stuff (but I think only further mastery ... or 1 hero challenge?) that requires ley gliding - not sure if this also is bypassed by the later mounts (if you later get Skyscale). But since there are that many hero challenges ... you don't need that at first. (I recommend to slowly level each HoT mastery line a bit - not maxing one first. Look at what you might need. S3 later also will give some mastery points that are easy to obtain.)

Edit: The first 2 for gliding. Then maybe later the next 2. The last 2 can be put on hold until you have have done other interesting stuff. For Itzel Lore only the first 2 for the beginning. Similarly Nuhoch and Exalted lore - where the first 2-3 are interesting. Other ones add not that much. You can access one ore another additional area or do some achievement (for another mastery point) or fight the champ (again needed for something else) - but that is not important early and not tied to many other stuff.

Edited by Luthan.5236

There's interactive maps on the wiki that will guide you to hero points depending on the region. Use a tablet or phone and open up the map then go at it. One advantage nowadays is everyone has mounts that really simplifies travel, it wasn't so at the beginning but it's all good now.