Anyone else hate having the need for infinity equipment/build slots?

36 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

And GW1 was not?

GW1 relied on selling a new campaign every year, something which proved to be unsustainable after a few years. (There's a cash shop too, but it's not built into the game.)

Considering how many years it took them to add build and equipment templates to GW2, and the fact that it only happened after a 3rd party version was created I suspect their original plan was to make them unnecessary rather than just to monetise something that was free in GW1. (Not that I think Anet are against monetising things, but planning it and then waiting 7 years to do it would make no sense at all.) GW1's skill system was described as "deck building" and designed around the idea that you'd need to change your build regularly, at least for different areas, often for individual quests. I think the intention with GW2 is we'd need to change things less often, or only make minor changes like swapping utility skills.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

I don't recall seeing a shop in GW1. Bearing in mind I didn't play a huge amount of it.

Exactly. GW1 was/is the game that was/is almost free, not GW2.

Arguing that GW2 is almost free and therefore doesn't have the better usability that GW1 had is contradictory. Because GW1 did not even have such a paywall store.

There are issues that you can't even buy with money, like dyeable weapons. Completely normal in GW1, to dye your weapon.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

(There's a cash shop too, but it's not built into the game.)

What do you mean not build into the game? I've purchased a bunch of those back in the day and that was all within the game. Pretty sure the side didn't even exist yet.

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think the intention with GW2 is we'd need to change things less often, or only make minor changes like swapping utility skills.

and then there was the fact that it used to require going to a skill trainer to change traits and a cost involved IIRC

that is the complete opposite of the types of micro-optimisation people do like having a separate template for each fractal mini boss.