WVW roaming - How do you crit cap when you don’t take Firearms?

Is it worth going for crit cap in solo roaming situations? I’m trying full ascended Marauder’s gear with Pack Runes, +100 precision food, 6 +5 precision infusions, and an Accuracy Sigil. This yields 80% without Fury. Gives up a lotta power and ferocity but I’ve also wondered about a Vision Sigil variant that eschews the constant crit chance for guaranteed burst windows (esp with Dragon’s or Zerker stats). 

Tools + Explosives + Elite spec seems pretty mandatory for any pvp mode where you wanna focus on power damage and not die to everything, just wondering what kinda success y’all have had. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PewAw6xlVwoYjsQGKOsW5PXA-zVJYiRXfh0UUkZiERBo2HQgdzhLJd0WG1MCA-w

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, working class hero.2175 said:

Is it worth going for crit cap in solo roaming situations? I’m trying full ascended Marauder’s gear with Pack Runes, +100 precision food, 6 +5 precision infusions, and an Accuracy Sigil. This yields 80% without Fury. Gives up a lotta power and ferocity but I’ve also wondered about a Vision Sigil variant that eschews the constant crit chance for guaranteed burst windows (esp with Dragon’s or Zerker stats). 

Tools + Explosives + Elite spec seems pretty mandatory for any pvp mode where you wanna focus on power damage and not die to everything, just wondering what kinda success y’all have had. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PewAw6xlVwoYjsQGKOsW5PXA-zVJYiRXfh0UUkZiERBo2HQgdzhLJd0WG1MCA-w

I'd say it's probably not worth it, the build I run has a 70% crit chance with Fury and way less power than that build and it does just fine, it does have more skills than that build so that might make a difference, so it has less burst but more sustained damage I guess. I find Tools/Explosives to be too squish in roaming with all the mega tank Cele builds out there but the majority of Holosmiths I see in WvW are running that build, so it might just be me.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAw6lVw8YYMLWKO8SbPXA-zVRYVBLGNtzITFQvSAFfICzm51MhXLAA-w

It has a different skill set so you might not enjoy it but this is what I've had the most success on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

I'd say it's probably not worth it, the build I run has a 70% crit chance with Fury and way less power than that build and it does just fine, it does have more skills than that build so that might make a difference, so it has less burst but more sustained damage I guess. I find Tools/Explosives to be too squish in roaming with all the mega tank Cele builds out there but the majority of Holosmiths I see in WvW are running that build, so it might just be me.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAw6lVw8YYMLWKO8SbPXA-zVRYVBLGNtzITFQvSAFfICzm51MhXLAA-w

It has a different skill set so you might not enjoy it but this is what I've had the most success on.

I like that you stack a lotta might with all the elixirs so it’ll still hit pretty hard, and have a good amount of sustain. My biggest issue with not taking rocket boots is getting +1’d and having a hard time disengaging. I find that even with more sustain heavy builds you’re gonna die if you get jumped by someone else if you’ve exhausted your cds in a fair duel. I’ve run into a few cele bunkers so far and it’s not too bad win rate wise if you can pressure them heavily at the start. I think I def still lose more than I win against those but most that’s mainly if they lean more heavily into power than condi damage.

8 minutes ago, working class hero.2175 said:

I like that you stack a lotta might with all the elixirs so it’ll still hit pretty hard, and have a good amount of sustain. My biggest issue with not taking rocket boots is getting +1’d and having a hard time disengaging. I find that even with more sustain heavy builds you’re gonna die if you get jumped by someone else if you’ve exhausted your cds in a fair duel. I’ve run into a few cele bunkers so far and it’s not too bad win rate wise if you can pressure them heavily at the start. I think I def still lose more than I win against those but most that’s mainly if they lean more heavily into power than condi damage.

Right, that's one of the downsides of this build, you need the situational awareness to spot potential +1 before they jump you.

4 hours ago, working class hero.2175 said:

Probably not worth it. Celestial (or celestial mix) + boons leads to bonkers numbers that don't have the same maximums of pure power, but get close enough when buffed while having way more survivability.

In my experience, the only power build that can consistently do enough damage while having decent mobility is power nades scrapper.

I'm currently running a full cele (-3 rampager pieces) core engineer nade build with 69% crit chance with Fury (totally calculated that way for maximum efficiency :D). With might + explosive temper, my nades are still hitting for 3-7k while applying a lot of condition damage. And between shield, rocket boots, supply crate toolbelt, and supply crate smokefield, you are really hard to pin down.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAo6lFwCZaMLWJOySaLdA-z1QY1oh7oEE+ZEoEoXFgiPAhsBeNT41CA-w

The firearms varient does as much power damage with full buffs as power nades scrapper.

To answer your question, you may be able to reach crit cap if you mix in some assassin's gear and run the perk that gives fury on explosion skill. If it is not enough then you'll probably have to run both explosive and firearms trait.

However if you do that you can kiss goodbye to your survivability and it's not like Engineer is known to be a very tanky class that can shrug off hits. And in WvW, being able to tank and move is king.

Edited by Alcatraznc.3869