Can anet just admit there's too much to balance?

Eddie.9143

Y'all need to go back to basics for spvp at least

Cut back on a ton of boons, make ranked core only with no class stacking, see how things are balanced and go from there. 

With new weapons and all weapons unlocked next xpac with the relic system it's going to be an absolute disaster.

Let's get all core classes to a nice balance, then introduce all weapons, then introduce new weapons.

THEN begin to balance elite specs one at a time around core strength 

• Like 2
  • Confused 12

2 minutes ago, Eddie.9143 said:

Cut back on a ton of boons

Yes

make ranked core only

No way. Its part of the game and cotent I paid for. I want to be using it in the only game mode I actually play. 

no class stacking

Couldnt agree more - also no switching once ingame. Meme af that they allow that. My Arena partners and I found some "top 20 Players" last night we actually started farming. We ended up loosing fair and square after 2 wins in a row - but one of the dudes was so angry he tried to class swap mid match. That how bad its got. 

"oh im loosing or gonna loose let me just switch and counter because I cant play out the match I started on the proffesion I actually chose." I have it all on Shadowplay too. Absolutely hilarious. 

Edited by jdawgie.1835
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Downstate.4697 said:

I vote berserker amulet only. Also we all get the same weapon and abilities. And also that weapon is just a gun.  And we change gw2 name to call of duty 

56 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Cele for everyone.

Celestial Duty. If I'm elected president, I'll make this happen. So whatever you do, don't vote for me!

• Like 1

Don't ever expect Anet to learn how to balance PVP. They are a company that literally thinks having a skill like Moa be unbreakable and unavoidable with no counterplay is a good idea. Can you imagine if Blizzard made Polymorph unbreakable and unavoidable with no counterplay options? Even they aren't that dumb and they're drunk most of the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This games pvp will never be a esport, nor will it ever be seriously competitive. Designing classes/specs to be fun to play and make the player feel powerful in pvp should be priority over balance, yes they should strive for balance by shaving down outliers but ultimately the priorities should be on fun designs, mechanics within the classes and should be enjoyable to play in all modes. The issue I see with the balance above all mentality is if most suggestions were taken all the classes may be balanced but would also be so stripped down and bland no one would want to play them. U want competitive balance go to street fighter or a moba, even then balance aperantly isn't great haha. Everyone has their idea of what is balanced, which usually looks great for their prefered classes or characters and not so much for the others...... like it's subjective and bias 🙂

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Barabbas.8715 said:

Don't ever expect Anet to learn how to balance PVP. They are a company that literally thinks having a skill like Moa be unbreakable and unavoidable with no counterplay is a good idea. Can you imagine if Blizzard made Polymorph unbreakable and unavoidable with no counterplay options? Even they aren't that dumb and they're drunk most of the time.

Blizzard are even dumber

Edited by razaelll.8324

9 hours ago, Barabbas.8715 said:

For some people, and you seem to fit, being moa'd is a buff.

• Haha 2

This is probably not going to be received very well but, I agree, Buffs need to be toned down in SPvP.  As well as Forms of CC that disrupt play, like being Feared or Stunned.

Condi range shouldn't be enough to clear the Area Code.  Condi Damage shouldn't be enough to virtually one shot some one.  I feel like Cleanses don't do enough to balance out Condition Damage.  Especially when the game mode is Team Deathmatch.  Just Activate your Condi AoE One Shot, and walk over the enmy team.  There is virtually nothing they can do about it Except trying to live as long as humanly possible.

Because Condition Damage is so Omnipotent, You never really see a good Power Build in SPvP.  Like, Oh, Reaper exists.  But that doesn't really match any of the 20 META Condi builds that exist at the moment.

Where is Power warrior?  Its running PvE Content.  Where is power thief? playing running simulator in SPvP, Where is Power Revenant, Playing Support in Fractals. Big sad.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 2:51 PM, Eddie.9143 said:

Y'all need to go back to basics for spvp at least

Cut back on a ton of boons, make ranked core only with no class stacking, see how things are balanced and go from there. 

With new weapons and all weapons unlocked next xpac with the relic system it's going to be an absolute disaster.

Let's get all core classes to a nice balance, then introduce all weapons, then introduce new weapons.

THEN begin to balance elite specs one at a time around core strength 

You're right, but everyone will hate you for it because the people who are most invested in GW2 are the people who cling to the current system even if it has no fundamental design philosophy underneath it.  Fixing GW2 by culling back all of its overlapping gimmicks until each class has an actual, central personality and role would also mean destroying the crutches that the PvP playerbase expects at this point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Irastira.8643 said:

This is probably not going to be received very well but, I agree, Buffs need to be toned down in SPvP.  As well as Forms of CC that disrupt play, like being Feared or Stunned.

Condi range shouldn't be enough to clear the Area Code.  Condi Damage shouldn't be enough to virtually one shot some one.  I feel like Cleanses don't do enough to balance out Condition Damage.  Especially when the game mode is Team Deathmatch.  Just Activate your Condi AoE One Shot, and walk over the enmy team.  There is virtually nothing they can do about it Except trying to live as long as humanly possible.

Because Condition Damage is so Omnipotent, You never really see a good Power Build in SPvP.  Like, Oh, Reaper exists.  But that doesn't really match any of the 20 META Condi builds that exist at the moment.

Where is Power warrior?  Its running PvE Content.  Where is power thief? playing running simulator in SPvP, Where is Power Revenant, Playing Support in Fractals. Big sad.

I miss when Revenant was competitive without having to play kittenous AOE passive condition builds.
But yeah, thank you ©️MC PvP dev(s?) for the continuous buffs to Mallyx damage and its passive sustain. I'm sure it won't eventually backfire and cause nerfs to something else that kittens up the whole class, the same way many other classes keep getting kittened over.
Just because of someone's adamant decision that "This should only be played this way."

Why even have more than 3 traitlines?
🟦
To the OP:
(Except for the boon part, which everyone keeps repeating all day long without elaborating further.)

This is already what ANET has been doing. Removing options.
Thanks to their hyperfixation of wanting to balance around imaginary roles (roamer, duelist, support, something, etc).
That mentality already completely goes against the very nature of some classes such as Elementalist, Revenant, Engineer, which are supposed to be jack of all trades.
And by balancing this way they have made it impossible to have other game-modes because the current balance would actually be terrible.

They have already removed or nerfed to death most of the runes, sigils and amulets in the game. Thanks to that same mentality that X class should only be played one way.
Is that really how you expect to bring in new players? By isolating sPvP that much from the rest of the game?

Do you really think that not having esports levels of balance is what made most players not touch sPvP ever again? And not the complete lack of game modes and new maps?
🟦
And to your original preposition, how long do you think it would take to add everything back? Yea, no less than 3 years at the current pace. Imagine having even less content than currently for months/years.
sPvP population from 300 down to 115. Nice.

"But WHO cares?! Game is super balanced and diverse right now!"

Edited by XxsdgxX.8109
  • Like 2

There was already so much to balance in Guild Wars 1 and that's largely why we only got the conquest mode for Guild Wars 2, alongside conditionning the gameplay around weapons' choices and some predefined skills' slots.

As I see many people who only focus on balancing each time, I am convinced that they should have focused on fun and diversity of gameplays before all instead of just doing nothing for the fear of the balancing.

I am convinced that if Guild Wars 2 bringed as much as Guild Wars 1 in terms of content, the PvP would be in a much greater state than it is today.

Edited by Anvar.5673
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1