Crashing on Launch since Monday

Never had any issues with playing the game until this past Monday/July 24. Since then, after opening the launcher and signing in, once I hit 'play' the screen just goes black. I get the EoD character select screen music but no visuals - just a black screen. Eventually I get a "Guild Wars 2 game client has stopped responding" error with the only options being "close the program" or "wait for the program to respond." There is no crash report generated when this happens.

I tried running as administrator, no luck. I tried repairing the game file, but the repair process eventually stopped responding. After that, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy. The issue still persists. There were no other changes to the computer that would have triggered this, and I can play other games without issue. Would appreciate any light that can be shed on this issue or guidance for how to resolve. 

Edited by Rhyft.7901

I'm having a similar issue. My game has been hard crashing my PC since Monday or Tuesday whenever I log in on any of my characters. Usually the game crashes either right as the loading screen goes away and my character is displayed in the world, or a couple seconds after that. And by crashing I mean my whole PC locks up and I have to turn it off and on again. I've never had issues of that magnitude with GW2 before a couple of days ago. And of course this only happens in GW2 and not in any other games.

Similar to you I tried a bunch of things in order to try fixing it on my end, like updating display drivers, repairing game files, redownloading the whole game, playing around with different display settings in-game, and so on, but nothing helps. One curious thing I noticed is that when I created a brand new character I was able to stay in game and play without issues for about 30 minutes until crashing, while on my other characters - who are all stationed either in Lion's Arch or Mistlock Sanctuary - I would always crash basically instantly when logging in.

My suspicion is that the crash has something to do with either a spell effect or MTX of either yourself or other characters in your vicinity. And since Lion's Arch and Mistlock are usually packed with other max level characters the chance to crash is much higher than in a newbie instance with a fresh character. But that's all just a guess.

In any case, I too would appreciate any help or tips.

• Sad 1

So here's an update if anybody's interested. And even if nobody is, I just really need to vent.

First of all thanks for trying to be helpful and suggesting -prefreset - unfortunately it did not have any effect. I've opened a ticket and have been in contach with support the last couple of days and I'm really slowly losing my mind. I'm not sure if there are actually real human beings in support nowadays, but if there are they are really good at copy / pasting the most unhelpful suggestions, that partly aren't even relevant to my situation. I have a strong suspicion that I'm actually talking to bots with randomly generated usernames, that are copy / pasting suggestions based on certain trigger words.

So far I was basically told that the issue is that I'm running Windows 11 and Guild Wars 2 is apparently not compatible with it. Not only is that a totally ridiculous statement, it's also not stated officially anywhere and directly contradicts their own system requirements information. Also nevermind the fact that I had been running Guild Wars 2 on Windows 11  for months without issues - and only now with them releasing a bunch of dubious DirectX kitten, things start breaking. Must be my system, right? So all support is doing right now, is suggesting things on how to fix my Windows 11 system - as if it needed that.

I actually just now took the time to set up a Windows 10 installation on a different partition on the same PC - so I now have a dual boot setup and can choose whether to run Windows 11 or 10. And guess what happens when I try running Guild Wars 2 in Windows 10? It crashes in the exact same manner as in Windows 11! Compatibility issues my kitten. The whole thing wouldn't anger me nearly as much if I didn't have a history with the game, but I've basically been a player right since the beginning. I may not be the most hardcore as far as overall playtime is concerned and I take breaks once in a while, but nevertheless I'm still invested. My characters are important to me and I enjoy playing the game. But now I simply feel like I'm being shoved out the door.

Frankly, if this doesn't get resolved, I will not do business with ANet again nor recommend them. I've been long wondering why GW2 doesn't have the player numbers considering it's actually a really good game - but I guess I'm finally starting to see why.

/rant off

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:59 AM, meisman.4027 said:

I'm having a similar issue. My game has been hard crashing my PC...[snip]...by crashing I mean my whole PC locks up and I have to turn it off and on again...[snip]...when I created a brand new character I was able to stay in game and play without issues for about 30 minutes until crashing, while on my other characters - who are all stationed either in Lion's Arch or Mistlock Sanctuary - I would always crash basically instantly when logging in.

My suspicion is that the crash has something to do with either a spell effect or MTX of either yourself or other characters in your vicinity. And since Lion's Arch and Mistlock are usually packed with other max level characters the chance to crash is much higher than in a newbie instance with a fresh character.

I had something similar, both with this game and Star Trek Online. Much like you describe, the higher the volume of particle FX being shown, the more likely it was to crash.

If you take your GFX settings down to barest minimum, then increase them bit by bit, does that change anything?

In my case I actually had to replace the 650-watt PSU in my tower because suddenly both games were putting a lot more demand on the GPU than they had before, and the old PSU just wasn't supplying enough juice. Swapping in a new 850-watt put an end to it. Hope that's not the case in your situation (and if it's a laptop you're probably SOL), but it's something to consider.

28 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I had something similar, both with this game and Star Trek Online. Much like you describe, the higher the volume of particle FX being shown, the more likely it was to crash.

If you take your GFX settings down to barest minimum, then increase them bit by bit, does that change anything?

In my case I actually had to replace the 650-watt PSU in my tower because suddenly both games were putting a lot more demand on the GPU than they had before, and the old PSU just wasn't supplying enough juice. Swapping in a new 850-watt put an end to it. Hope that's not the case in your situation (and if it's a laptop you're probably SOL), but it's something to consider.

Thanks for the input. I built the system in question about 2 months ago - it's a desktop PC with a Geforce 4070 TI and a 850W power supply among other things. So in theory there shouldn't be any issue. I will still try what you're suggesting and take a closer look at the power supply though because I've actually noticed sporadic instances of peripheral devices (like my keyboard) turning off for a second and then turning on again. If that's connected to the power supply then that might mean it's faulty. That'd mean though that the crashes should occur  regulalry in other games as well depending on the load on the graphics card - and so far GW2 has been the only thing that crashes.

I get the skepticism, totally. I was like "ONLY these two specific apps do this, everything else is working fine!" 🤔 Streaming videos, other games, blah blah blah all without issue. Launch GW2 or STO, guaranteed crash every single time.

But after doing some testing and video benchmarking I discovered the problem...but only after I had replaced the GFX card, too. I figured "well let me drop a more powerful card in here, I've been considering an upgrade anyway" but even THAT didn't fix it. Both games still crashed in exactly the same way, everything else still worked just fine. The only options left were motherboard, RAM and PSU. Since everything but those two apps worked, I ruled out the mobo and RAM since those malfunctioning would introduce weird errors system-wide, leaving only the PSU (and its direct-line powering the GFX card) as the ONLY thing left.

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

PS I run Windows 11 Pro, so that 10 nonsense was just some script-monkey helpdesk contractor searching a keyword and pasting a barely-relevant knowledgebase article into an email. It runs just fine on Win11.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
ps
  • Confused 1

Regarding Windows 11, it's true that Support will tell you Win 11 isn't supported yet they try to help anyway.  I suspect it had something to do with CoherentUI or maybe they are waiting on some other fix/change before fully supporting Win11.  Yes, they will have you try to run the game in compatibility mode.

It's a little frustrating.  They have to go through all the steps in their script because they can't replicate the issue or troubleshoot as they don't have physical access to your individual system.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, meisman.4027 said:

my whole PC locks up and I have to turn it off and on again

GW2's engine hits CPUs and the PCI-E bus way more than other games.  If your whole PC locks up, a good process of elimination requires reviewing the entire system.  You could have some system configuration that is auto-throttling your hardware without even realizing it (runs itself out of resources).  It could be some low-level hardware driver needing update.  It could be any overclocking or automated overclocking (overclocking is always the first thing to turn off!).  Are there any Windows event logs from these freezes?

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

I had the July Cummulative Update installed. Unfortunately uninstalling it didn't change anything regarding the crashes.

Regarding Windows event logs, this is the first thing I checked and there are none. Probably because the whole system crashes and there's no means to actually write logs in that case. But I actually got a BSOD during one crash today, which stated an error code:

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

I'm not sure though whether this is the actual cause of the crashes or just another symptom, because usually I don't get a BSOD. The system is just dead.

Another thing I tried is playing around with GW2 graphic options and trying out how they affect the crashes and the timespan until one occurs. What I found was that the actual quality settings didn't seem to have any bearing on how quickly a crash occurs. Meaning when I set the settings to the lowest possible it would crash just as quickly as on the highest possible. The only option that did have a significant effect was the frame limiter. Basically it seemed to go like this:

Unlimited = crash basically instant when logging in

60 frames = able to stay in game about 5-10 minutes until crash

30 frames = able to stay in game about 25-30 minutes until crash

I also downloaded GPU-Z in order to monitor temperatures and power draw of various components but was not able to see any unusual or alarming numbers. The System seems to be fine on that end. So I'm at a point where I'm not sure what to do. Any further insight from the knowledgeable people around here?

• Haha 1

Ok, so things are starting to get really strange now. This is probably not a GW2 issue.

So I decided to start up ESO for a little bit, since GW2 isn't working, and what happens? While I'm on the login screen inside the game my windows completely crashes again. Then when I get back into Windows I open up a browser, go to the ESO account management page and Windows freezes again. So I don't even have to be inside a game for this stuff to happen. And the wildest thing is that this is actually 100% reproducable - meaning everytime I go to account.elderscrollsonline.com in Chrome, my PC freezes and I have to turn it off and on again.

What the hell is this? I know that this is obviously beyond GW2 now, but does anybody have any ideas? Is this a memory issue? I'm actually getting a bit scared now, because GW2 not working is one thing, but my PC locking up during seemingly mundane everyday tasks is not cool at all and might make my PC unusable.

Help?

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, meisman.4027 said:

Ok, so things are starting to get really strange now. This is probably not a GW2 issue.

So I decided to start up ESO for a little bit, since GW2 isn't working, and what happens? While I'm on the login screen inside the game my windows completely crashes again. Then when I get back into Windows I open up a browser, go to the ESO account management page and Windows freezes again. So I don't even have to be inside a game for this stuff to happen. And the wildest thing is that this is actually 100% reproducable - meaning everytime I go to account.elderscrollsonline.com in Chrome, my PC freezes and I have to turn it off and on again.

What the hell is this? I know that this is obviously beyond GW2 now, but does anybody have any ideas? Is this a memory issue? I'm actually getting a bit scared now, because GW2 not working is one thing, but my PC locking up during seemingly mundane everyday tasks is not cool at all and might make my PC unusable.

Help?

Have you gone into Chrome and turned off the Hardware Acceleration option?

54 minutes ago, meisman.4027 said:

Is this a memory issue? I'm actually getting a bit scared now, because GW2 not working is one thing, but my PC locking up during seemingly mundane everyday tasks is not cool at all and might make my PC unusable.

As I wrote previously

4 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

You could have some system configuration that is auto-throttling your hardware without even realizing it (runs itself out of resources).  It could be some low-level hardware driver needing update.  It could be any overclocking or automated overclocking (overclocking is always the first thing to turn off!).

Check BIOS settings, firmware, any overclocking, any Windows power settings, etc.

It could be the latest Windows update, like the other poster suggested.  Unless you have a system restore point from before, I don't think any rolling back will necessarily work.

Edited by Chaba.5410

1 hour ago, meisman.4027 said:

Did you read my post? The new Cumulative Windows Update causes system lag, response delay, freezes, and other performance issues (and also connectivity issues).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

First of all, thank you for your help.

Yes, I did read the post about the July Windows Update. I've had it installed since the 12th und have uninstalled it now. However nothing changed about the crashes. The issues also only started roughly at the beginning of this week, so logic suggests that something must have happened then as well.

The crash when navigating to the ESO account page also happens in Edge btw, so that doesn't seem to be browser specific. I'm honestly a bit baffled trying to find out where the connection between all of these things are, because there has to be a common cause, right?. I'm also wondering whether the crash in Chrome / Edge only happens because I previously crashed in-game in ESO or if those things are independent. I mean, why on earth am I not crashing right now using the GW2 forums? 

Some things I've done so far after reading your posts:

- Hardware acceleration option in Chrome / Edge was already disabled

- Disbaled HAGS hardware acceleration

- Reset BIOS settings to default. I don't overclock and probably couldn't if I tried.

- Checked whether there's an update for my BIOS available. There isn't, it's up to date.

As far as firmware is concerned, I'm actually not quite sure what you mean there. And regarding the Windows power settings - I've looked at those, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for really. Most of the "automatic turning off after X minutes" I've disabled.

Chrome and Edge use the same underlying Chromium framework so it makes sense they would behave similarly. I suppose it's not impossible that your account got glitched somehow and trying to sign into it causes some weird hang, though I can't imagine how that could have happened.

I'd pull up every reference to elderscrollsonline.com in your Chrome history, bookmarks and passwords and nuke them all.

Try to open in Incognito mode and see if it works there. Maybe a successful account login could fix it?

Very weird.

• Confused 1

So I feel like I'm at least a little bit closer to finding the cause for my issues. I downloaded Firefox and tried to display the ESO account page there - and I had no issues and it didn't crash. Since Firefox is not a Chromium based browser I suspect the crashes originate from the Chromium framework and may not really have anything to do with GW2, ESO, Chrome or Edge.

So anything using the Chromium framework in some specific way seems to hard crash my system. 

19 hours ago, meisman.4027 said:

And regarding the Windows power settings - I've looked at those, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for really.

In Windows you can select different power management modes.  I'm just asking you to check that yours is set to high performance and not auto throttling power (and causing clock BSODs).

On my system (Win11), I am using the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan that comes installed from the AMD chipset driver.  Default Windows installation usually sets it to Balanced.  This power plan ensures 100% power availability to the processor and turns off idle PCI-E power management and can help avoid potential hardware bugs related to automated power throttling.  To get to the screen (Microsoft keeps moving these settings around!), hit Win+R and typed in "Edit Power Plan", then select "Change advanced power settings".  I don't know anything about the Intel versions for power management plans.

The GPU will usually have it's own power management setting too. On my system I have to go to the Nvidia control panel and go to "Manage 3d settings" then ensure  "power management mode" set to "Prefer maximum performance".  Will be different for other GPU vendors.

I don't know enough about your system's hardware to have much more to contribute.  BSODs are still indicative of some sort of system instability and chasing down application bugs with an unstable system is potentially futile.

Have you used Resource Monitor at all to see if there's a process like cefhost running away with your computing resources when this happens?

Edit: Also, you checked for BIOs updates.  Check your chipset driver too.

Edited by Chaba.5410

Thanks again for the input.

It looks like I have fixed the situation for now though. At the very least nothing is crashing any more.

During the course of Sunday the overall stability of my system took a real dump real fast. Shortly after I posted my last message here I had several crashes in Win11 which had nothing to do with any Chromium based applications or games. It got to the point where I couldn't even boot Win11 up without crashing. Luckily I had  a fresh Win10 installation on another partition, that allowed me to do some more research. While Win10 was a bit more stable at the beginning, it eventually also ended up crashing quite a lot. So at that point I was fairly certain, that it was a hardware issue and had nothing to with Windows or anything Chromium related.

So I would say that on the one hand I am a fairly tech savvy person, that can analyze a lot of stuff on my own. But on the other hand I had not actually built a system myself in maybe 20 years. When I build  a new system nowadays that basically means I do some research what fits together with what and when I've decided on a list of components I have the system built by somebody else - I don't do that myself. The system in question causing trouble now I had built sometime in May, so it's fairly new.

Similarly I don't know a lot of things about many options available in BIOS nowadays. When I fiddled around in my BIOS during all of this I basically only ended up resetting it to the default settings, naively assuming that this means reasonable settings with no overclocking for instance. Turns out that I was wrong, because apparently when you put an Intel 13600KF in a Gigabyte motherboard, the default means that among other things Intel's Turbo Boost stuff gets activated. That basically means that while my processor has a 3.5GHz base clock speed, it actually routinely gets overclocked to up to 5.1GHz during relatively mundane things in Windows. If this hadn't caused me so many issues it would actually be funny. With Turbo Boost disabled the clock speed stays below 3.5GHz at all times and I'm not crashing any more.

Why all of this wasn't an issue before the start of this week and why Chromium based applications were the first to fail, I don't know. Maybe they're especially CPU hungry. I'm also not quite sure if I have actually found the root cause of all of this. I've had quite a lot of issues with my new setup in the last 2 months - way more than I had with my old system in 10 years. So I'm not sure if there isn't something else broken and the only thing I did was delay the inevitable. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks to everybody trying to help. And sorry to ANet, who I kitten on quite badly during all of this. At least some of that was undeserved, oh well.

Edited by meisman.4027
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Glad to hear you restored some stability to your system.  Between all the Windows, hardware driver, and game updates that go on, these issues can suddenly get exposed.

My suggestion would be to do further hardware research and read the BIOS manual extensively to ensure all the Turbo Boost settings are set correctly for your components (and check for chipset driver updates).  Would be a shame to not be able to find a stable setting to fully utilize that CPU.

• Thanks 1