Weapon Master Training Preview Before SoTO launch?

So are we going to get even a small preview of what the new weapons skills are going to do before the launch of SoTO? I feel like I shouldn't even have to ask, of course we should, but where is the preview? Some people only want to buy it for the weapons, we're only like 3 weeks away and no word yet? I get being busy with finishing the xpac, but there's really no excuse when it's a major selling point of the xpac.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You said weapon master training in your title, which refers to elite spec weapons going core. We already had a beta for that. If you mean the new weapons per class, they’re not releasing with the launch of the expansion. They’re coming in like the second update, so not until 2024 at the earliest. So no preview for a long while if any at all. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, BATMAN.6794 said:

So are we going to get even a small preview of what the new weapons skills are going to do before the launch of SoTO? I feel like I shouldn't even have to ask, of course we should, but where is the preview? Some people only want to buy it for the weapons, we're only like 3 weeks away and no word yet? I get being busy with finishing the xpac, but there's really no excuse when it's a major selling point of the xpac.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-the-weaponmaster-training-beta-june-29-july-2/

17 hours ago, BATMAN.6794 said:

I won't address the bit as others have already said about the weapon mastery. To your actual point versus title, yes it would be nice to get some Dev notes in a min on the new weapons the classes will be granted access to so that players could start to consider do they need to get new weapons crafted for those classes getting those weapons and they can do some pre-theory crafting on what some new builds might look like. As far a demo weekend, would be nice, but not sure the coding effort versus return would make it viable. But Dev notes or a quick Twitch, that could make sense and be cost reasonable, plus could be additional marketing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I won't address the bit as others have already said about the weapon mastery. To your actual point versus title, yes it would be nice to get some Dev notes in a min on the new weapons the classes will be granted access to so that players could start to consider do they need to get new weapons crafted for those classes getting those weapons and they can do some pre-theory crafting on what some new builds might look like. As far a demo weekend, would be nice, but not sure the coding effort versus return would make it viable. But Dev notes or a quick Twitch, that could make sense and be cost reasonable, plus could be additional marketing.

well since said weapons get into the game in 2024 maybe even as late as q4 do you really think any of them are ready to be show yet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

well since said weapons get into the game in 2024 maybe even as late as q4 do you really think any of them are ready to be show yet?

Without having actual details, yes maybe since they could also be dropped in October of this year as far as we know. 

Edit: I must have missed a post/blog, where is the 2024 date coming from?

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Missed reference
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Without having actual details, yes maybe since they could also be dropped in October of this year as far as we know. 

Edit: I must have missed a post/blog, where is the 2024 date coming from?

Maybe people are translating "second release" in "This is planned for the second major release after launch (and we’re aiming to ship those major releases quarterly)." as two quarters later, so first quarter 2024.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I admit I take first major release as launch, so that could be on me. 

Here's a line about the 'first major release':  We’re planning to introduce a fourth Mastery line in the first major release following launch.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-new-chapter-begins-in-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

On 7/30/2023 at 10:48 PM, TheDetective.8172 said:

You said weapon master training in your title, which refers to elite spec weapons going core. We already had a beta for that. If you mean the new weapons per class, they’re not releasing with the launch of the expansion. They’re coming in like the second update, so not until 2024 at the earliest. So no preview for a long while if any at all. 

Wait, I thought they meant a quarterly update, so somewhere in Q4 2023. If it's really 2024, it is pretty concerning. That's a huge gap between releases, given that the same release would be another SotO map and some other stuff.

• Confused 1

On 8/1/2023 at 12:10 AM, Linken.6345 said:

That's what I was thinking as well. There's no point showing them to us too early, especially if the idea is to help theory crafters plan ahead as any changes they make would mess that up, so they'd need to have all the skills finalised before they can show them. I was going to say maybe if they get it to the point where the changes will only be minor, like increasing or decreasing recharge times, but I know even that can ruin a build for some people.

If they had them all ready to go now I assume they'd be in the expansion itself, not one of the quarterly updates after that.

31 minutes ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Wait, I thought they meant a quarterly update, so somewhere in Q4 2023. If it's really 2024, it is pretty concerning. That's a huge gap between releases, given that the same release would be another SotO map and some other stuff.

If I've understood it correctly the plan is to have 4 releases each yet (not counting festivals, balance updates etc.) - one in each quarter. One of those will be a paid expansion and the other 3 will be free updates.

SotO is coming in Q3 2023 (Q3 is July - September) so the first release after that will be Q4 (October - December), the second one will be Q1 of 2024 (January - March) and the third and final one will be Q2 of 2024 (April - June), then the next expansion will be in Q3 2024 and the cycle starts over again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1