How are we feeling about the amount of new profession content in SotO

Riot Inducer.8964

How are we feeling about the amount of new profession content in SotO and beyond?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the amount of new profession content SotO is offering? (E-spec weapon access & 5 or more new skills for each profession)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How much new profession content would you like to see for the 2024 expansion?

• 1 skill set (minimum of 5 new skills for each profession)
    • 1.5 skill sets (minimum of 7 new skills for each profession)
    • 2 skill sets (minimum of 10 new skills for each profession)
    • More than 2 skill sets (more than 10 new skills for each profession)

Just wanted to see how the community is feeling about the amount of new profession content (skills, mechanics and traits) we feel is reasonable from the new annual expansion model.

SotO is a but difficult to judge given that the E-spec weapons are not technically new content. However new skills are being made for then to work with other E-specs and that is worth something. 

In the poll I use the term "skill set" as a rough count of one half of a full skill bar so either a weapon set or set of utility skills. Some professions aren't technically getting a full skill set with SotO's new weapon mastery but this is due to those professions having additional mechanics to account for (every elementalist weapon has 4x the skills for example).

With that in mind I would rate the old Elite Specializations at about 3-4 skill sets as each included a weapon (0.5-1 set), a set of utility skills (1 set), new profession mechanic skills (0.5-1 set) and a set of accompanying traits (equivalent to 1-2 skill sets for build opportunities).

I feel like SotO isn't offering much without the benefit of the E-spec weapons at only 1 skill set and I hope future annual expansions will have a bit more overall new for the professions. Am I off the mark on this thought? Should we be expecting more or less from future expansions?

• Confused 1

Since you rounded down 1.5 skills, I selected 2 skills sets. 

I actually would like Anet move away from e specs as only thing being able to define class mechanics and rework trait lines to have Grand trait line define class mechanics and sub trait lines be whatever else. So you'd have Mesmer duelist, Mesmer dominator, elemental arcanist, ranger beast master, ranger skirmisher,  yadda yadda. 

• Like 1

I personally like elite specs, and have always been a firm believer of the "core" spec being just a stepping stone to more intricate gameplay features and functionalities, especially looking at a lot of elite specs serving as a "core+" for their respective professions.  I think Anet could still potentially squeeze out at least one more round of elite specs to fill in the gaps that at least a few professions may still have.

Other than that, SotO does feel like another experiment like IBS to see if trying to do something other than elite specs will make it feel like yet another "expansionless" expansion.  I guess all we can hope for is that it won't be as bad as IBS was.

I play Warrior. That should already answer it. 

Torch is only useful on Condi Zerker. 

Offhand Dagger is something you use with SunMoon style for self sustain. Pretty meh other wise. 

Why play pistol when offhand Axe exist. Outside of Bladesworn. 

Mainhand dagger is something we will see how good it will be. Core Burst has been bugged so no idea and Primal Burst seems OK for Zerg fights. 

Staff needs to be very strong to satisfy Warriors. Hope Anet can deliver. 

• Like 1

Most of what's coming is recycled skills already paid for, it's just old elite weapons you will be paying to make core/baseline.

The only actual new skills are from the new weapons, which in some cases are only getting 3 new skills.

Repackaging elite weapons and runes to sell an expansion is pretty 🙄

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 4

Honestly, it would be more accurate to say that I am not satisfied with this kind of "profession content". I couldn't care less about how many new skills are added since I already know that no matter how many they add those skills most likely won't bring anything "new" to the professions, this will only be more of the same again and again.

• Like 2

I am not really hyped by the expansion.

Yeah I get it, it is wizard time and that is cool and all... But if you see stuff from the end-game content perspective there is no new announced instanced pve, and pretty much nothing for competitive mode. Usually we get new specs to shakes things up, and I don't think giving old weapons for everyone will have nearly the same effect. For example for WvW-focused player, it will impact roaming less than usual and for zerg play: Scourge will grab a greatsword, we may see Longbow based willbender and greatsword based herald, Tempest will use the relic system to mix the healing stat from rune of the monk and the 6th rune effect from the rune of the trooper... and for the most part that is it. Sure, new weapons will be added but they will come later down the line. About that I would prefer if they design less e-spec by expansion and maybe wait a few month between each new spec (let's say 1 new e-spec every 3-4 months or so) instead of only designing the weapons.

Basicaly my hype level is lower than on regular patch day which says a lot! ^^

Edited by Guybrush.4762
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Honestly, it would be more accurate to say that I am not satisfied with this kind of "profession content". I couldn't care less about how many new skills are added since I already know that no matter how many they add those skills most likely won't bring anything "new" to the professions, this will only be more of the same again and again.

I couldn't have said it better myself

• Confused 4