Should they bring back EOTM for weekly events?

Defias.1892

Bring back EotM through periodic weekly events?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should ANET bring back EotM through periodic weekly events?

• Yes
    • No

Hi guys,

I am a longtime WVW player and I just realized that its been a long, long time since I stepped foot in Edge of the Mists. Back then, you would only go there if all your borderlands were queued OR if you wanted to level your character.  Sadly, ever since they removed exp gains from EotM, it has pretty much been empty. I was wondering how the community felt about giving a EotM a bit of a revival. Maybe Anet could host a week-long "Return to the Edge of the Mists" event, where players would get +100% or more WVW rank gain or something like that.

• Confused 3

I don't think there's enough players for that, went into EBG yesterday and it was like a ghost town. I swear it seemed like the players where fighting themselves by hopping from toon to toon in order to participate in fights, it was a sad sight. I don't know how they do it...

Hang out at the spawn area then when someone port in start slap boxing in the area between spawn and the keep. In the middle of the fight 2 or 3 will vanish only for 2 or 3 new toons to pop up on the opposing side (small 8 men fights) then they'll all focus one guy as your team mates run off. Yep very strange and seemingly very desperate to have a fight.

I'll wait till the next reshuffle and see how it goes. Maybe the expansion will address the boon balls 🤷‍♂️.

7 minutes ago, Widebody.5071 said:

I don't think there's enough players for that, went into EBG yesterday and it was like a ghost town. I swear it seemed like the players where fighting themselves by hopping from toon to toon in order to participate in fights, it was a sad sight. I don't know how they do it...

Hang out at the spawn area then when someone port in start slap boxing in the area between spawn and the keep. In the middle of the fight 2 or 3 will vanish only for 2 or 3 new toons to pop up on the opposing side (small 8 men fights) then they'll all focus one guy as your team mates run off. Yep very strange and seemingly very desperate to have a fight.

I'll wait till the next reshuffle and see how it goes. Maybe the expansion will address the boon balls 🤷‍♂️.

i think most of the time these days when your server feels dead there's a hidden tag doing guild vs guild. arenanet has said wvw has the highest population of any game mode outside of open-world pve (including exceeding all pve instanced content like raids, as well as pvp of course).

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 3

No, the population should be given an incentive to play on the main maps, even though that will cause more queues. It's better to have WvW a bit more active.

It's bad for squads and their leads looking for openfield Content, as the amount of chatmanders mainly there to ktrain is usually high, but the amount of those open field leads and the quality and quantity of those squads nowadays, there's sadly not a vast amount of them, like there used to be.

Edited by CrimsonOneThree.5682

Edge of the mist can be revived with probably this :

Make edge of the mist fights impact ebg , means the more spots captured in edge can impact ebg , like make sm walls auto repair if they are not being touched for a while if you capture a specific amount of spots in EOTM or make guards more strong , or descrease tactics cd , there is probably a lot of ideas , so even roamers can go and mess arround there since there is no mounts , roamers  can have an easier time , so with that edge of the mist can be full with roaming groups and solo players trying to help their team indirectly.

Ofc there is the people who gonna say " but thats gonna be unbalanced since dominating teams will be more dominating" and thats where anet can tune things down , and try to balance it out without killing it again , mmo designers are capable of having a large amount of creativity , yet its never used in wvw , instead they are trying to use the "i give up" method , and that it merging servers to try balance population , and they tought that with this the q times on lots of servers gonna make you forced to play edge of the mist , which is the stupidest decision to "force" people to play cause there is a q , no you don't do that , you give people reasons to play something while having fun at the same time , we will see after the expac drops , i realy have a bad feeling about where anet is going with its content.

There are times where it feels like they need to reduce the maps or players on maps, because you don't even have one map queue, and groups are constantly hopping maps whenever an enemy map blob shows up. Of course even that is hard to do since they setup a "home borderland" map concept where all three of those maps have to be up at all times, and you can't shut down ebg because it's the most popular map. Instead of fixing that back in 2015 they doubled down on it by adding desert borderland.

You don't need bonus wxp in eotm, you just need skirmish pips and you'll see everyone rushing to play there again, because ultimately everyone is playing to get their wvw legendary gear, and no one these days wants to play something if there's nothing significant to gain in the end.

They obviously don't give two kittens about wvw, they might as well restart eotm reward train and let it be wvw retirement home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tldr: Agreed with Xenesis, completely.

Another option:

Shut down the borderlands. Keep EBG as is, and EotM as is. Make taking objectives in EotM weaken SMC for opposing colours (per EotM map), and/or have some of the EotM mechanics do damage to SMC's of opposing colours at intervals. Make EotM a way to setup SMC for capture.

14 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i think most of the time these days when your server feels dead there's a hidden tag doing guild vs guild. arenanet has said wvw has the highest population of any game mode outside of open-world pve (including exceeding all pve instanced content like raids, as well as pvp of course).

Actually it's been this way for a while with participation peaking on saturday. Same tactics probably the same group of people no difference, no sign of any battles nothing just business as usual. If wvw is a barometer of game health the game is screwed.  

• Confused 2