How Will The New Reward Structure Affect WvW Players?

Chichimec.9364

If you haven't seen it yet, Anet's latest news post talks about the changes in the dailies and daily log in rewards, changes which will be introduced next week. There will be new daily, weekly, and special tasks for pve, pvp, and wvw. In this thread, Ruby Bayer answered some questions about the new system but there is still a lot we don't know yet. For example, what will happen to the existing WvW weeklies? Will they be replaced by the new WvW weeklies or be in addition to them? Doing the existing weeklies now gives us gold and keys for opening the recently introduced chests. The new weeklies will give us a new currency that can be used to buy a range of things, including mystic coins, mystic clovers, gold, skins, weapons, and, iirc, mats for the new legendaries. If we will still have our existing weeklies, will we get gold and keys for doing them or get the new currency?

And the new dailies/weeklies may be a pain for some of us. If you look at the first image in that news post, you'll see that one of the new WvW weeklies will be doing the Obsidian Sanctum JP. For those who don't know, there are a couple of issues with that particular jp. For one thing, you lose participation when you do it. For another, the jp is in a WvW area. In the past, griefers have been known to hide in that jp just to try  and take down anyone doing the jp. Personally, I'm lousy at jps and am not good at one on one WvW combat. So  that weekly could have been a nightmare for me. Fortunately, I have a very friendly and supportive WvW guild that will probably send in groups to do that jp together, both to take down griefers and to portal folks who can't do the jp by themselves. What about folks who don't have that kind of ingame WvW support though?

There really aren't enough details yet to know for sure if these coming changes will be good or bad for WvW mains. Given how Anet has treated us in the past though, I just can't be very optimistic.

• Thanks 5

Doubt the wvw weeklies will be affected, they were implemented 6 months ago. I doubt they implemented it without knowing what they were going to do with the current daily/login system. I'm sure the wvw weeklies will stay a separate thing much like weekly guild mission.

As for the options offered to earn the currency, it's going to suck if they randomly offer missions from each section, and not have it optional to pick which to get, like the guild missions does.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

If you haven't seen it yet, Anet's latest news post talks about the changes in the dailies and daily log in rewards, changes which will be introduced next week. There will be new daily, weekly, and special tasks for pve, pvp, and wvw. In this thread, Ruby Bayer answered some questions about the new system but there is still a lot we don't know yet. For example, what will happen to the existing WvW weeklies? Will they be replaced by the new WvW weeklies or be in addition to them? Doing the existing weeklies now gives us gold and keys for opening the recently introduced chests. The new weeklies will give us a new currency that can be used to buy a range of things, including mystic coins, mystic clovers, gold, skins, weapons, and, iirc, mats for the new legendaries. If we will still have our existing weeklies, will we get gold and keys for doing them or get the new currency?

And the new dailies/weeklies may be a pain for some of us. If you look at the first image in that news post, you'll see that one of the new WvW weeklies will be doing the Obsidian Sanctum JP. For those who don't know, there are a couple of issues with that particular jp. For one thing, you lose participation when you do it. For another, the jp is in a WvW area. In the past, griefers have been known to hide in that jp just to try  and take down anyone doing the jp. Personally, I'm lousy at jps and am not good at one on one WvW combat. So  that weekly could have been a nightmare for me. Fortunately, I have a very friendly and supportive WvW guild that will probably send in groups to do that jp together, both to take down griefers and to portal folks who can't do the jp by themselves. What about folks who don't have that kind of ingame WvW support though?

There really aren't enough details yet to know for sure if these coming changes will be good or bad for WvW mains. Given how Anet has treated us in the past though, I just can't be very optimistic.

I HATE JUMPING PUZZLE

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

lol, you beat me there. What I am concerned with was the prior note on the release of the WvW weeklies that a bigger system for rewards was on the way and the weeklies was a smaller piece of it. What I am concerned with is that this SotO system is the bigger piece they mentioned versus a more WvW orientated system for active play and reasons to win.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Doubt the wvw weeklies will be affected, they were implemented 6 months ago. I doubt they implemented it without knowing what they were going to do with the current daily/login system. I'm sure the wvw weeklies will stay a separate thing much like weekly guild mission.

As for the options offered to earn the currency, it's going to suck if they randomly offer missions from each section, and not have it optional to pick which to get, like the guild missions does.

What you  are saying about the current WvW weeklies makes sense and I hope you are right. If we kept our existing weeklies with their gold/key rewards and then got additional WvW weeklies giving the new currency as a reward, that could be really sweet indeed.  🤞

2 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

I HATE JUMPING PUZZLE

Me too!

32 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

lol, you beat me there. What I am concerned with was the prior note on the release of the WvW weeklies that a bigger system for rewards was on the way and the weeklies was a smaller piece of it. What I am concerned with is that this SotO system is the bigger piece they mentioned versus a more WvW orientated system for active play and reasons to win.

That is something to be concerned about. Iirc, the sense of that prior note was that there were additional pieces of the WvW reward system that were going to be put into place at some point, including adjustments to the attacking & defending rewards. Ah, Grimm, now I'm gonna have to go back and track down that earlier note to see if it reads differently in light  of all the new info that just dropped. It would be a shame if we lost those additional parts of the WvW reward system. Let's hope they didn't get lost down the same rabbit hole that the Alliance beta disappeared into. 🤞

12 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

That is something to be concerned about. Iirc, the sense of that prior note was that there were additional pieces of the WvW reward system that were going to be put into place at some point, including adjustments to the attacking & defending rewards. Ah, Grimm, now I'm gonna have to go back and track down that earlier note to see if it reads differently in light  of all the new info that just dropped. It would be a shame if we lost those additional parts of the WvW reward system. Let's hope they didn't get lost down the same rabbit hole that the Alliance beta disappeared into. 🤞

Same. I don't take it as we won't get those other event triggers, like failed attacks though. I had taken, may be incorrectly, that they were talking about more rewards for active play and incentives to win. Need to spend some time to go back to those posts blogs...

8 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Same. I don't take it as we won't get those other event triggers, like failed attacks though. I had taken, may be incorrectly, that they were talking about more rewards for active play and incentives to win. Need to spend some time to go back to those posts blogs...

Here's the post that introduced the weekly rewards. There may have been more comments later about refining the weekly rewards but I haven't found those yet.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-january-31-preview/

49 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Here's the post that introduced the weekly rewards. There may have been more comments later about refining the weekly rewards but I haven't found those yet.

Thanks, there was also this one:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-objective-scaling-rewards/

I am still not seeing what I want to say was a couple of posts about it as well. But lunch is over and have to deal with my addictions. One day I might not be addicted to feeling the need to pay bills. 😞 But for now have to cope with it. Till later!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Thanks, there was also this one:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-objective-scaling-rewards/

I am still not seeing what I want to say was a couple of posts about it as well. But lunch is over and have to deal with my addictions. One day I might not be addicted to feeling the need to pay bills. 😞 But for now have to cope with it. Till later!

Thanks Grimm. That post had some of the things I remembered that we are still missing.

In a nutshell, these are additional rewards for participating in objective events in WvW: assaulting or defending towers, keeps, and castles, specifically. The more these objectives are upgraded and defended, the better the end reward will be. There are four cases we’re targeting with additional rewards:

• Successful assaults: flipping control of the objective.
  • Successful defenses: Repel the Attackers events, which end after three minutes.
  • Unsuccessful defenses: losing the objective when the attackers successfully take control of it.
  • Additionally, we want failed assaults to be rewarded in this fashion. This is currently not functioning, and we are working on it for a future update...
    ...The Objective Scaling Rewards system is intended to reward players regardless of success or failure of the activity; actively participating is the key.

In the last point there, Anet said that a future update would bring rewards for failed assaults. We haven't seen that yet. However, I don't think we are getting rewards for failed defense, are we?

1 hour ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Thanks Grimm. That post had some of the things I remembered that we are still missing.

In the last point there, Anet said that a future update would bring rewards for failed assaults. We haven't seen that yet. However, I don't think we are getting rewards for failed defense, are we?

Don't have the failed assault event yet, but we do have the failed defense, it's just impacted the same way that ongoing defense is. But I did catch one last night pop up after we lost a keep. Its still questionable about what is the triggers for the event and levels though. 

3 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Found one of the other two that I was thinking about:

"After World Restructuring, we’ll be looking to make WvW more rewarding, with a focus on active play. There’s two major parts to this. First, we’ll be looking at improving individual rewards for participation and performance. This will be a mix of adding new rewards and improving older systems. As an example, we’d like to address how support players are under rewarded. Skirmish tracks also take longer to progress than we’d like, especially for new players. Second, we want to give players and guilds reasons to care about winning their current match up and reward them for exceptional performance during a season. Longer-term, we’d also like to introduce systems that would allow guilds to flex and compare their WvW prowess."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-world-restructuring-and-the-future-of-world-vs-world/

Considering this, I feel better that this SotO track and this mention in 9/2021 are not that not the same. lol, but this was a plan from close to two years ago. But that's for the Thursday post. 😉 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Found one of the other two that I was thinking about:

"After World Restructuring, we’ll be looking to make WvW more rewarding, with a focus on active play. There’s two major parts to this.

First, we’ll be looking at improving individual rewards for participation and performance. - Weeklies

This will be a mix of adding new rewards and improving older systems. - OSR

As an example, we’d like to address how support players are under rewarded. - Done

Skirmish tracks also take longer to progress than we’d like, especially for new players. - Added pips

Second, we want to give players and guilds reasons to care about winning their current match up and reward them for exceptional performance during a season. - Not Yet

Longer-term, we’d also like to introduce systems that would allow guilds to flex and compare their WvW prowess." - Not Yet

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-world-restructuring-and-the-future-of-world-vs-world/

Considering this, I feel better that this SotO track and this mention in 9/2021 are not that not the same. lol, but this was a plan from close to two years ago. But that's for the Thursday post. 😉 

I don't think the upcoming system is part of the wvw reward updates, it's just there's wvw missions in it because we have wvw dailies as well so it's included.

Wvw reward updates for active play have already been done for the most part. Weeklies, OSR, increased pips at the cost of outnumbered pips, new vendor, increased reward participation for support. 

The second part pertains to after alliances, they mention performance during a "season" which is the plan after wr/alliance is final, and pointless guild flex stuff (hint blob guilds will win all the academy awards, everyone else will ignore unless there's a slap involved).

8 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

I don't think the upcoming system is part of the wvw reward updates, it's just there's wvw missions in it because we have wvw dailies as well so it's included.

Wvw reward updates for active play have already been done for the most part. Weeklies, OSR, increased pips at the cost of outnumbered pips, new vendor, increased reward participation for support. 

The second part pertains to after alliances, they mention performance during a "season" which is the plan after wr/alliance is final, and pointless guild flex stuff (hint blob guilds will win all the academy awards, everyone else will ignore unless there's a slap involved).

Agree, which is why I wanted to back track to the prior links. Still can't find the last note which was a dev forum post, but I could be mis-remembering something else. 🙂 Was concerned with the HoT style marketing that was bringing us a new WvW map s part of HoT release where in reality it was going to be a thing in any case but marketing made it seem like it was part of an expansion.