I just realize how much I depend on the API

Lucy.3728

The API being shut down for a few days ruins my GW2 weekend a bit and I realize how far the API has crept in and nested in my gaming life.

On my main account I'm still collecting materials for legendary items and I still need quite a few supply tokens. I exchange them with NPCs for things like crafted weapons/armor. For the overview and logistics I use the crafting tool from gw2efficiency. Because there are many, many options. Via bookmarks I created overviews of all NPC offers and look for the currently cheap craftable possibilities and summarize them and order the materials in the trading post accordingly. On the website I see what I still need and what I already have and which is cheaper - to buy or to craft.
Now I see nothing anymore, of course, because it's all API-supported. 😞
Well, I have to wait a few days. Really unfortunate because I planned differently but not so tragic. 🤷‍♀️

Tragic is that I wanted to do some achievements in the second account (for the reward) which include quite extensive collection work (Conspiracy of Dunces and Token Collector). For this I use Tekkit or ReActif via Blish HUD to show me the spots in the game instead of constantly having to tab out of the game to play the Wiki (yeah, yeah I know first world problems, but I love such help). Also all API supported.
This is already ruining my well planned gaming weekend. 😭

Monday or Tuesday the addon comes out, I wanted to get through all that to focus on the new content.

And what about you guys?

Do you use any API features?

(I also love how the English Wiki uses the API for all kind of achievements, to list what's already done in the account. Well that's not working now.)

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I sometimes use the API but it's not really a main feature in my gameplay. I know what I have and I can look up how much I need total of everything. It's just basic math for me then. And for the other stuff, I don't use mods at all. Blish HUD looks nice but I've never cared enough to bother installing it.

I guess the API is down because of the changes happening in the upcoming expansion?

• Confused 1

I use it occasionally, but not that often, only when I'm looking up stuff on the Wiki or GW2 Efficiency and I can go several days without either. If it wasn't working I'd find another way to get the info (probably checking manually in-game) or I'd do something else until it's fixed.

I briefly tried one of the HUD addons (Taco I think) but it added a lot of clutter and clearing out all the stuff I didn't want and setting it up to show what I did want turned out to be more trouble than it was worth for something I'd only use occassionally.

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I briefly tried one of the HUD addons (Taco I think) but it added a lot of clutter and clearing out all the stuff I didn't want and setting it up to show what I did want turned out to be more trouble than it was worth

Yeah, Tekkit (Taco script) is really spam with that. I'm a fan of opt-in anyway and not opt-out. Means everything is disabled and I choose what I want to enable. ReActif (another Taco script, discontinued before IBS) is not so spammy about things that can be farmed daily but it has lots of achievement help. I'm lazy with achievements (like I cba) but those help scripts motivate me.

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I guess the API is down because of the changes happening in the upcoming expansion?

Yes, the reason given was that the content of the extension should not be revealed beforehand.

I don't know about the API system itself, but why did they have to disable the whole thing and not just relevant parts?

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

What's rather painful is when looking up builds. On Hardstuck its somewhat bearable, you just don't get the drop-down tooltips of the traits and runes/sigils or other items and skills. On Snowcrows the build pages are just full of grey holes.

Never go to Hardstruck! It's just as bad as Meta Battle. Snowcrows is the hard and real requirement for raids. 
I'd kick anyone who isn't familiar with Snowcrows immediatly. 

• Confused 12
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Never go to Hardstruck! It's just as bad as Meta Battle. Snowcrows is the hard and real requirement for raids. 

I always go to hardstuck first, really like their builds. I feel they're more well rounded and cover a bigger variety of content with better explanations. I'm not a elitist top 5% must play best in slot hardcore raider. So yeah, you do you. ^^

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm not sure I'll have the supplies/money to make a legendary weapon I'm working on before the API is back on-line, but even if I do, I figure I'll just wait until it is back on-line to finish it.

One place I often use it is to determine what, if any, recipes in a recipe book I don't have, since the in game interface for that really sucks.  Another recent case was one of my characters got a birthday gift, and I wanted to see what dyes I have locked/unlocked, and actual values - API/wiki makes that really easy because it shows all options - within the game, there is a chance of 6 dye kits, and each of those dye kits has 6 dyes or something, and if one is not careful, one could choose a dye kit where one has unlocked all the dyes.

The reason given for shutting it down is reduce spoilers.  I suspect this is because with the API, all the achievements for SotO can be pulled out, and while I'm not familiar with the API, it is possible more information is needed.  For example, for achievements that are locked until something else is done, the API might still be able to pull out the description.

I presume this is why they are not re-activating the API until several days/a week after the release - presumably by that time, some players will have completed/unlocked all of those, and they will already be entered into the wiki anyways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

snowcrows are the best for raids and strikes but that's about it. for all other content you're better off using middle-of-the-road builds so you don't end up in weird situations where someone isn't providing something you need, and being unable to bring it yourself.

this is why players like more generalised build sites like hardstuck and metabattle; builds that play realistically and not in a vacuum. this is especially important when pugging content and not playing with a static or your guildmates, or even with players who speak the same language as you do (for example, most of my fractal groups are spanish, and i'm very rusty at it these days).

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

i avoid too much "complicated routine", then i don't use much api..

but i use 2 screens, and the other have the gw2 timers.

about meta builds also, i avoid things that lead to too much switching. Thanks, since i adopted guardian as main and build saving feature, i have a DPS/open world, a healer, and a wvw build in one character. 

also meta builds don't change much for long time, so i don't need getting there everytime.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I don't know about the API system itself, but why did they have to disable the whole thing and not just relevant parts?

The API shows achievements, maps, items, etc. etc. Some items can be blocked for the API until  a dev whitelists them. But People make mistakes and with a lot of changes in the internal game systems for the expansion Anet disabled the API to prevent leaks because it seems  some internal systems are already updating for the expansion few days before the expansion.

On 8/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

The API being shut down for a few days ruins my GW2 weekend a bit and I realize how far the API has crept in and nested in my gaming life.

On my main account I'm still collecting materials for legendary items and I still need quite a few supply tokens. I exchange them with NPCs for things like crafted weapons/armor. For the overview and logistics I use the crafting tool from gw2efficiency. Because there are many, many options. Via bookmarks I created overviews of all NPC offers and look for the currently cheap craftable possibilities and summarize them and order the materials in the trading post accordingly. On the website I see what I still need and what I already have and which is cheaper - to buy or to craft.
Now I see nothing anymore, of course, because it's all API-supported. 😞
Well, I have to wait a few days. Really unfortunate because I planned differently but not so tragic. 🤷‍♀️

Tragic is that I wanted to do some achievements in the second account (for the reward) which include quite extensive collection work (Conspiracy of Dunces and Token Collector). For this I use Tekkit or ReActif via Blish HUD to show me the spots in the game instead of constantly having to tab out of the game to play the Wiki (yeah, yeah I know first world problems, but I love such help). Also all API supported.
This is already ruining my well planned gaming weekend. 😭

Monday or Tuesday the addon comes out, I wanted to get through all that to focus on the new content.

And what about you guys?

Do you use any API features?

(I also love how the English Wiki uses the API for all kind of achievements, to list what's already done in the account. Well that's not working now.)

I like to use it for the upcoming dailies, so I know what to expect and can get characters where they need to be beforehand so I'm not scrambling after reset.

I don't know how the changes to dailies with the Wizard's Vault are going to work but I hope the wiki is able to continue with Today's and Tomorrow's Dailies, that's really helpful information.

API does not support the services I actually need. The few features I am curious about are locked behind invisible walls. GW2Efficiency is an overkill for me. I keep track of my stuff in my head. The apps, which turn every treasure hunt in to a brain afk  carrot-on-a-stick run, never got me. I search my stuff with my eyes and if I cannot find it, I use the wiki. I've tried the BLISH HUD, but most features do not really help me. The notebook features are neat, but ... there is the notepad and notepad++.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy about all the cool features and I also recommend them to players who could use that little extra help. GW2 Efficiency is great to structure your goals and manage your account. And the BLISH HUD is the ultimate convenience gadget. Just not for me.

If you would not have told me about that API down, I would not have noticed it at all ^^.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

GW2Efficiency is an overkill for me

To me it's underdeveloped xD Doesn't offer all the possibilities I want (like with filtering the data, price tracker like what's Keepa for Amazon), but I haven't found a site that does. But  it offers a great overview and sort possibilities for account content.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:30 AM, Lucy.3728 said:

To me it's underdeveloped xD Doesn't offer all the possibilities I want (like with filtering the data, price tracker like what's Keepa for Amazon), but I haven't found a site that does. But  it offers a great overview and sort possibilities for account content.

Yeah there were a few things that I thought it could do with adding in, but as it stands it's by far my #1 utility site. 

On 8/21/2023 at 4:46 AM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I keep track of my stuff in my head.

I'm literally incapable of that with 72 characters. Have to keep a spreadsheet as well as use third party sites to keep track of it all. Very handy stuff 😁

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1