As a WvW only player is Soto worth buying?

devious.4605

1 hour ago, devious.4605 said:

I only play WvW.

What does Soto have to offer me?

Is it worth buying for someone that only plays WvW?

Unsure at this time. Have seen a few relics from PvE events that might be interesting in WvW, but they haven't made me think to replace core rune relics yet and since relic's seem vague in their text it's more questionable, they need to edit those help/description line IMO.

You can unlock weaponmaster training that allows unrestricted use of elite spec weapons on any spec (eg, Longbow on core Guardian)

Later on they'll give each class another weapon.

You don't need to rush; some more features are coming in the next 2 quarters and it won't be too late by then to make a choice.

I'm sitting on the fence myself.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, devious.4605 said:

I only play WvW.

1. Unlock expansion exclusive Relics, 12 now and more in the future.

2. Unlock weapons from all elite specs to the entire profession, basically turning elite spec weapons to core weapons.

3. New weapon set for each profession, not released yet, coming early next year I think.

4. Unlock expansion exclusive rewards for the new daily/weekly system of the Wizard's Vault.

🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, devious.4605 said:

I only play WvW.

so far soto isn't worth buying for anyone, let alone a WvW only player maybe come next year when the actual expansion releases and we will see...

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

You can save your time and money for Starfield.

Some of the relics have even been disabled, some are behind a paywall (the expac) although that's a feature added to the core game, it's a bit alarming, but also the new weapons for classes are being released early next year.

What is with people using confused emotes, especially when it comes to not recommending this to wvwers? serious copium.

Edited by CrimsonOneThree.5682
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

I guess it depends on what class u prefer playing. If u can see any benefits to having all the elite spec weapons, available across the board. Cause if not, then u might aswell wait for later release.

I mean, i main war. And I think dagger main hand on core war could be a nice addition. Since core really lags boon Rip.

Edited by Thomas.2564

Same here, I play only WvW but 25$ canadian (standard edition) for my favorite game isnt that much so I bought it without any hesitation. Also I already struggle to stay competitive with my sw/d weaver so there is no way I can afford to not using a relic like about everyone are going to use.

6 hours ago, devious.4605 said:

few build variations depending how many classes you play (due to weapons) and few soto relics, as for core relics you should have access without expansion. there are only few expansion relics atm. If to play only wvw, it is a bit little content to consider imo. 

• Like 2

Expansion seems a little bit overpriced to me. It had only 2 real maps, very few boss fights and lot of recycled models. You would think that if they reuse models, they would be able to provide ton of content. Lot of things like Wizard Pass, Relic rework, etc, are just improvements to base game and not new content. The story was good tho, much better than EoD.

Nevertheless, just being able to use new weapons on every spec is worth it. For example Firebrands Axe, will suddenly become very mobile DPS weapon when combined with Willbenders off-hand sword. Heralds tankiness and boon support combined with greatsword burst is also another interesting combo.

There are also other benefits like being able to get some of the strong relics from a reward track, and being able to make legendary weapon(s?) pretty cheaply thanks to the legendary weapon kit in Wizard Pass. I am about to make Meteorlogicus with like 120 gold. (Warning: You still need gift of exploration from PvE!!!)

Overall weird expansion. They didn't fix any of the obvious issues with WvW: Desert map, objective camping, linking servers, shield gens, weak walls, boon duration, etc.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Riba.3271 said:

Overall weird expansion. They didn't fix any of the obvious issues with WvW: Desert map, objective camping, linking servers, shield gens, weak walls, boon duration, etc.

I'm not buying, I'll probably keep the game uninstalled for a few months and see how things develop.
I heard they included EotM weeklies to the new thing? So players from bad servers stop complaining about not being able to weeklies, because they're being bullied by WSR/FoW/Maguuma etc.? If that's not a clear sign they're not even planning to do anything with WvW then I don't know what is. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Absurd.2947 said:

I heard they included EotM weeklies to the new thing? So players from bad servers stop complaining about not being able to weeklies, because they're being bullied by WSR/FoW/Maguuma etc.?

Weeklies have 2 extra objectives you dont need to complete. It's absolutely kitten that dailies dont, but there it is. 

Also the normal WvW weeklies is back on track, apparently it was an "accident" that it was missing yesterday I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Absurd.2947 said:

I heard they included EotM weeklies to the new thing?

Well "one" specific weekly, capture 5 objectives in eotm... when I went in there yesterday only one other person was running around trying to look for people, so we went and capped 4 supply depots and left cause couldn't take on the stronger vets, the bear vet kept rushing me instead of my illusions, I got chain knockdown to death lol, got the last objective when eotm reset couple hours later. 🤷‍♂️

Don't know if they have a bigger list of weeklies for wvw, or it's going to be the same list every week, but don't expect to park in eotm for much. Do the regular wvw weeklies even count in eotm? Oh and funny enough the new weekly for ruins also has shrines and merc camps count, why didn't they do that for the wvw one? lol 😏 at least a few of them cross over with each other so should be good next week double dipping weeklies with one activity. 🤭 

21 minutes ago, jul.7602 said:

You'll have to buy it, otherwise you'll lose to the people running the Pay to win op relics locked behind expansion.

can you please link some of those "p2w op relics" cuz i kinda struggle to find even one worth my time so i run speed just because there is nothing else useful...

24 minutes ago, RazieL.5684 said:

can you please link some of those "p2w op relics" cuz i kinda struggle to find even one worth my time so i run speed just because there is nothing else useful...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Relic

Dunno if any are p2w at the moment, but I'm sure we'll find out in a week of testing, but going forward I'm sure only good ones will be in the expansion.

Relic of mabon might turn out to be the pve dps one to use since you can spam might easily. There's ones useful for boon zerging. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by XenesisII.1540

Just for information, expansion relics (and many core relics) are aviable in sPvP even without owning SotO. While it might not be all of them and potency likely also differs a bit between sPvP and WvW here and there, it still offers a good way to test out some stuff as i assume general functionality remains the same across game modes.

Edit: It looks like some relics (at least the one i tested so far - sunless) are weaker in WvW than in sPvP. That's ... weird.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Relic

Dunno if any are p2w at the moment, but I'm sure we'll find out in a week of testing, but going forward I'm sure only good ones will be in the expansion.

Relic of mabon might turn out to be the pve dps one to use since you can spam might easily. There's ones useful for boon zerging. 🤷‍♂️

was talking with a friend about mabon and the conclusion was that it's meh... what is it? 25% for 8 seconds and then ~30 sec cd at best? that pretty much (rounding) leads to about power? IE 2 stacks of might permanently up... and you have to kinda hope the 10th proc is exactly when you need it to fully benefit while for example thief you just have to not be afk for 6 seconds to have it permanently up

• Like 1

Truth be told, few builds will benefit from the new weapon combinations due to the heavy reliance on elite specializations, such as in the berserker dagger i was excited about, the damage is lackluster and a spellbreaker hits harder with it. Some roaming specs might be good, I think thief will remain what it is, but willbender and dh with axe isn't bad, I do not know about light classes.

Edited by oatsnjuices.1698
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RazieL.5684 said:

was talking with a friend about mabon and the conclusion was that it's meh... what is it? 25% for 8 seconds and then ~30 sec cd at best? that pretty much (rounding) leads to about power? IE 2 stacks of might permanently up... and you have to kinda hope the 10th proc is exactly when you need it to fully benefit while for example thief you just have to not be afk for 6 seconds to have it permanently up

Well it says it has a 3sec cooldown. 🤷‍♂️ In a group setting I can imagine might is easy to spam and keep up. So you get mabon which lasts 8sec, then you get past 10 stacks of might which then gets the 25% bonus for another 8sec, then you lose all the might stacks, 3sec later mabon is back on, but by then you could be back to 10 stacks of might and repeat the process.

32 minutes ago, oatsnjuices.1698 said:

Truth be told, few builds will benefit from the new weapon combinations due to the heavy reliance on elite specializations, such as in the berserker dagger i was excited about, the damage is lackluster and a spellbreaker hits harder with it. Some roaming specs might be good, I think thief will remain what it is, but willbender and dh with axe isn't bad. Weapon master would be difficult to get without a skyscale, so alt accounts will suffer. It would be a good experiment if some content creator tried to get it without the skyscale to see if it is even possible. However, there are teleport to a friend options.

they give you a temporary skyscale to use in soto maps that can be unlocked permanently doing some mastery stuff