SottO has even less rewards than EoD did at release

EOD:

• Full set of legendary weapons.
  • Three armor sets
  • A new mount
  • A new gathering system(fishing + skiff)
  • Multiple skins on heart vendors(these are now in the battle pass in SottO, lol)
  • You could sell legendary mats from the metas, meaning the metas weren't worth 2g like EODs
  • Unusual coins could be used to buy a 15g+ item(now ~3g). 
  • Two new stat combinations

SottO

• Two armor sets
  • Can't sell any of the legendary mats.
  • Unusual coins have no gold value.
  • Zero new stat combinations
Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

It is true, this isn't an xpac in the traditional sense but I'm still enjoying it.  I wish they would have not sold this as an xpac, it seems a bit misleading.  A different marketing strategy would have been better, in my opinion.  As others have said, it feels more like a living world type release. 

Only time will tell if their new content strategy helps or hurts the game and ANet's ability to continue as a profitable game developer.  They obviously felt they needed to do something different (for reasons), so I'm hoping it succeeds because overall I really like GW2. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

EOD:

• Full set of legendary weapons.
  • Three armor sets
  • A new mount
  • A new gathering system(fishing + skiff)
  • Multiple skins on heart vendors(these are now in the battle pass in SottO, lol)
  • You could sell legendary mats from the metas, meaning the metas weren't worth 2g like EODs
  • Unusual coins could be used to buy a 15g+ item(now ~3g). 
  • Two new stat combinations

SottO

• Two armor sets
  • Can't sell any of the legendary mats.
  • Unusual coins have no gold value.
  • Zero new stat combinations

To name just a few things that you conveniently left out:

• Multiple new weapons sets
  • New means to acquire Skyscale without having to purchase all of LS4
  • New masteries for skyscale and griffon
  • Weapon mastery or whatever it's called 

I'm sure there's plenty more that I can't think of off the top of my head.  The thing is, if you're going to attempt to make a comparison and then berate something, at least try to make it a fair comparison.  Also take into consideration that it's not a full expansion so you're not going to get everything that you would get from a full expansion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, illuminati.8453 said:

They obviously felt they needed to do something different (for reasons)

Which makes no sense after how happy Anet were with the sales of EoD. I distinctly remember them proudly announcing how well it did. 

This definitely feels like they are winding down on development of the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ixon.2496 said:

Which makes no sense after how happy Anet were with the sales of EoD. I distinctly remember them proudly announcing how well it did. 

This definitely feels like they are winding down on development of the game. 

Yeah, I agree.  They would have done another EoD if they had the staff to do it on that scale but I think they are looking further down the road and trying to figure out how to have more than just GW2 as their income source.  This staggered release points to limited resources available.  I'm fine with it as long as they don't pull a WvW on us with PvE.  

• Confused 1

I'm not really concerned with much of anything in the OP - none of that stuff is particularly impactful to my fun when I play, and also, I think it's very important to note that this expac is being delivered over time, so expecting it to be complete right now or comparing it to a larger release isn't entirely fair.

But in a sidelong way, I do agree. The post-meta rewards are pretty awful. The actual meta events themselves have been a blast to play (especially Amnytas - what a cool boss and a well-designed event chain, bravo!), but the stuff you get after the effort feels like such worthless crap, not to mention being unceremoniously booted out of the map nearly immediately. For starters, no XP, and weirdly, lots of karma....? I'm tired of seeing unidentified gear pile up in my bag. Stacks of green and blue garbage are not compelling rewards. I'm sure there's a more interesting way to reward people. If the intent is to ramp people up for building legendaries, then I think you should work on that hype, because right now it feels sorely lacking.

• Like 1

Meta events need to be looked into, you can compare octovine being an old HoT meta to something recent and just can't not shake head why bother with new stuff.  The wizard tower key event portals you for what 5-6 junk chests and a mastery locked large for 3 greens?  Where is all the loot?  Other than daily heroes choice really is no reason to farm most of recent content updates.

• Like 2