Blocking forum accounts.

Getting close to blocking my first forum person since their posts is usualy off topic and incoherent.

It feels like you lose brain cells when you read their injections into a thread.

So would you block a random madman or keep them around for the slight chance they have a normal post once in a blue moon, I would kill for your input on the subject?

• Confused 4

I'm not even sure what you're asking 

Would I block something / someone if I kept finding it/them annoying? Yes I'm no masochist. A broken clock is right twice a day but that doesnt mean I wont toss it in the garbage.
How do I feel about the fact you're able to keep tabs on who posts what here? Sounds to me like you're taking forum way too seriously, if getting to almost 13k post wasnt enough of an indication already. 99% of the post here are either venting frustration or copium/hopium, and trolls. There's very little room for measured, genuine arguments.

Edited by Taclism.2406
  • Haha 1

If you hover your mouse over someones name here in the forums.

There pops up a new window in that you can press ignore.

You will then not ever see any post from that user again.

I dont like to censor people but if someone dont make sence at all either they are trolling, high or maybe just alittle slow.

Unsure if its the right call to ignore but they might still have a bright idea someday in the future.

unless they are just being an kitten hat then i see no reason for doing so its not a big deal if they bring up something off topic. that wouldn't even have crossed my mind to do that. the worst i would do is give them that confused smilly face. however i see that confused face on almost every post whether they make since or not

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Getting close to blocking my first forum person since their posts is usualy off topic and incoherent.

It feels like you lose brain cells when you read their injections into a thread.

So would you block a random madman or keep them around for the slight chance they have a normal post once in a blue moon, I would kill for your input on the subject?

If they annoy me around 2-3 times in a row, they usually go to my block-list. I do however check some users once in a while. People can change over time. I have also unblocked a certain users after they stopped trolling.

When you open a topic where blocked users have posted, you will see that they have posted, with an option to make each post visible. Sometimes I open a topic and the first 5-6 messages are hidden, which is a little awkward. But I have to admit, the block-feature has removed a lot of stress. Life is too short to bother with certain people. Try it out. If you feel uncomfortable after a week, you can unblock them easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

If they annoy me around 2-3 times in a row, they usually go to my block-list. I do however check some users once in a while. People can change over time. I have also unblocked a certain users after they stopped trolling.

When you open a topic where blocked users have posted, you will see that they have posted, with an option to make each post visible. Sometimes I open a topic and the first 5-6 messages are hidden, which is a little awkward. But I have to admit, the block-feature has removed a lot of stress. Life is too short to bother with certain people. Try it out. If you feel uncomfortable after a week, you can unblock them easily.

Ty for the info mate did not exactly know how it worked.

2 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

It doesn't have to be permanent, you know. Just let them live in the idiot filter for a week or so then take them out again, it's seriously not a big deal.

Yeah, that'll teach them not having their posts seen by someone that doesnt want to see them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

I would just report for "Off-Topic / Spamming / Trolling / Derailing / Nonconstructive Posts" when needed. If you don't like their posts but their posts don't break any rules then yes just block. There are many people so blocking a few isn;t a big deal. I'd also say don;t engage with those people because that makes you part of the problem.

I rarel;y block anyone, it usually takes years for me to remember someone that's annoying enough; typically it makes threads much cleaner.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

I don't block people out of principle, even if they give me the impression that they don't know what they're talking about or that they don't argue in good faith and I wouldn't get worked up over it either. If I view a thread I want to know what people think about the topic at hand and I'm not a fan of the idea of creating my own echo chamber or removing context from the conversation. 

I don't block people on forums because I've always found it just makes conversations more confusing for me. Other people will still see and respond to those posts, either directly or factoring them into the overall sentiment on a topic, and not having the same context everyone else does just makes the rest of the conversation harder to follow.

I end up scrolling back and unhiding every blocked post just to check if it was relevant so the end result is I pay more attention to someone I've blocked than if I just start reading, notice the username, realise that's the problem and scroll down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't block people on forums because I've always found it just makes conversations more confusing for me. Other people will still see and respond to those posts, either directly or factoring them into the overall sentiment on a topic, and not having the same context everyone else does just makes the rest of the conversation harder to follow.

I end up scrolling back and unhiding every blocked post just to check if it was relevant so the end result is I pay more attention to someone I've blocked than if I just start reading, notice the username, realise that's the problem and scroll down.

Thanks that is a good reason not to block will try to do the same.