Why the namechange of Commander?

Krinstin.6287

As is in title. Why change the nickname for the Commander to Wayfinder? The name is frankly weird and the meaning of Wayfinder was not explained in the story at all.

Plus what's the point, even? "Commander" wasn't a valid title for at least 5 ingame years, so theres no argument for "they aren't a Commander no mo," not to mention they just randomly gave them the title with no explanation whatsoever.

This feels like Twitter being renammed to X for no reason.

Would strongly prefer to just stick to the original name than another nonsensical one.

• Like 18
  • Confused 13

I think it’s another way to point that old story about dragon cycle is over. Commander and his/her “squad” fighted dragons. Pact fighted dragons. Now with dragons gone it’s time to let the old title go and start a new chapter of personal and world stories.

And it’s a matter of personal taste ofc, I don’t mind being Wayfinder instead of Commander.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

I think it is also to signify that you are not "commanding" anything anymore. Yes the title was not that important - but somehow the commander still had a lot to say regarding the pact and stuff. (He even mentions in SotO that he could have a ton of airships ready and asks why the Astral Ward did not ask for help earlier.) Now we seem (have not played all of the new story that is relased so far yet) to get less important compard to the other powerful members. Just another member of that Astral Ward.

I mean ... if we look at that NPCs there are a ton of powerful ones. Would not make sense if the commander suddenly became the boss of all of them.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, LiquidRaver.6730 said:

So what happens to the Cat Mander tag? Cat finder now?

"See! Kittens! Kittens everywhere!"

I suppose with most zones in the game being more or less (wibbley wobbley) time-locked, the cat-mander tag should still be just as cat-mandery pretty much everywhere but in the SoTO zones.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I think it is also to signify that you are not "commanding" anything anymore. Yes the title was not that important - but somehow the commander still had a lot to say regarding the pact and stuff. (He even mentions in SotO that he could have a ton of airships ready and asks why the Astral Ward did not ask for help earlier.) Now we seem (have not played all of the new story that is relased so far yet) to get less important compard to the other powerful members. Just another member of that Astral Ward.

I mean ... if we look at that NPCs there are a ton of powerful ones. Would not make sense if the commander suddenly became the boss of all of them.

I want to know what will become of the Pact now that there are no dragons. How will the 3 orders react? The countries leaders?

• Like 5

They do actually define what Wayfinder is in the story, but you have to engage in the dialog to learn more about it being a rare honorary title to those that serve the Astral Ward. In short, it's purely wizard/cult speak for "Hero". More indirectly, from Isgarren's point of view, despite the insurmountable challenges the commander faced with the dragons, we managed to beat the odds and "find a way" to save Tyria. Ergo, the "Wayfinder". And although the commander is not the first to receive that title, we do know indirectly that it was given to other people who equally served, predominantly to keep Tyria safe.

Though, I will say even the new NPCs in the game have difficulty referring to you as wayfinder. I recall specific events in Amnytas where the NPCs still refer to you as the commander. Even Zojja at one point stumbled on it. IMO, you are whatever title you prefer to recognize yourself as. The commander is just one of many heroic titles we received along our adventures in Tyria. At the end of the day, it's just how that culture identifies you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

I want to know what will become of the Pact now that there are no dragons. How will the 3 orders react? The countries leaders?

Without some unifying crisis, I suspect all the old rivalries and enmities, both between the races and within them, will eventually heat up again. The Inquest, in their merciless quest for knowledge, might accidentally (or on purpose) devise some blight that will kill the Pale Tree and wipe out the Sylvari. Human separatists and Charr renegades might finally get their wish, and the two races will again go to war. When Divinity's Reach falls, the Charr will move on Rata Sum. Can't trust the Asura, after all. Look what they did to the Sylvari!

In the end, one race and one race alone will remain to usher in the True Golden Age of Tyria, an Age of Blissful Confusion and Terpischorean Fervor -- the Choya!

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

1. please mark this thread as a [SPOILER] 

Spoiler

There is a mention of the MC having no clue who the wayfinder is being surprised with the title. (it's simple an honorary title and means nothing apart from you being deserving of respect).

A Commander has a very specific meaning, you command people. as also mentioned in the very beginning of this exp in a passage, in the role "Commander" you command the fleet of pact airships. You have no such power in this expansion, so why would anyone call you commander?

Also there is a mention in a later passage of him being the "NEW" wayfinder. (Livia is another) the wiki has some more info: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wayfinder.

Alot of people mentioned that they were a bit sick with the whole notion that you are this savior/hero and that you are all powerful perhaps this might be the reasoning behind this move?

Edited by gametaunt.9105
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Krinstin.6287 said:

As is in title. Why change the nickname for the Commander to Wayfinder?

Same reason we get called "Boss" in Season 1/Season 2, and get called "Outlander" in Path of Fire. Or "Champion" during IBS and EoD.

Different groups, different nicknames. It's nothing new, and it isn't like Twitter becoming X at all.

It's not like the PC will stop being the Commander - it's just that this group has an additional nickname.One of over a dozen such nicknames, in fact.

7 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

The orders existed independently of the dragons (sans Vigil), and even then have things to do not Dragon related.

The Pact is a bit different but they could find other things to deal with... like demons.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It is mostly just a organization and cultural view title thing. Wayfinder is the Astral Ward's title for special people who have achieved great deeds. 

The Commander was mostly a title for people who saw the Commander as the Commander of the military force against the Elder Dragons. A fitting title for the times of the War against the Elder Dragons. However, the title is not much Post- Elder Dragon Saga now that everyone have moved on and finding their own way in life. Well except the Commander since he/she is having a hard time settling back to his/her old life from the time before he/she began his/her Personal Story.

Heck, in Elona we basically started out as the Outlander as the Elonian's title for those not from Elona until later when we started to be called the Commander due to Elonian's shift in how they view our character being a leader of a military force to fight against Balthazar and eventually Joko.

Back in Zhaitan Arc, our character had multiple titles before we were given the title Commander once the Pact was formed to represent our position and how the public in a area views our character. 

This maybe a common thing as we go through the new storyline set after Elder Dragon Saga as we enter new places since these new places may have different titles for specific people based on how their views and organization's systems. After all we cannot expect people to just call our character Commander in places that may not even know our character well enough or not use their own organization's titles for specific people that are not officially part of the organization.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

The Pact is basically joint operations and the orders do their own thing as well.  It's currently finding new purpose or discussing being disbanded.

If I remember right, Logan is looking into finding the Pact a new purpose now that the Elder Dragons are dealt with.

The Vigil has basically become a second military force to protect Lion Arch but still recovering from the loss of Almorra since Laranthir is still refusing to take up his rightful place as the next leader of the Vigil so Jhavi is still acting as temporary leader until he finally decides to fully commit to his position.

The Priory still seem busy since even without Elder Dragons, they have plenty of other things to do such as uncovering ancient ruins, discovering forgotten history, inventing new things to benefit Tyria as a whole, and etc. This Order probably has the most plans setup with what they will do after the Elder Dragons are dealt with due to the need for exploration teams into unknown regions and constant search for lost history.

Order of Whispers are probably more focused on creating "world peace" from the shadows now that the Elder Dragon part of their job is dealt with. Not to mention with Elona no longer under Joko's control and the Sunspears return to their position as the main military organization of Elona, they probably have a lot of work going on there. 

However, considering the recent sudden invasion of Demons all over tyria, I have a feeling it will not be long for the Order and Pact to get involved in SoO due to maybe seen the Commander going around Tyria fighting the Kryptis invasion. The Demon Invasion is making a lot of noise and not to mention since Taimi knows the Commander is with Zojja (which no one has seen and heard from in over 17 years), I have a feeling they may have put all the hints together that the Commander got himself/herself into another "Prevent world ending threat" again.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

Commander is a lifelong title. But as others have said, we've been called other names by other groups at each stage of the story. This is no different.

Now, what happens to the Pact? We aren't active duty as the Pact Commander, but they come when we send out the call. Honestly, I can see the pact getting absorbed into the ranks of the Astral Ward in some sort of way.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Commander is a lifelong title. But as others have said, we've been called other names by other groups at each stage of the story. This is no different.

Now, what happens to the Pact? We aren't active duty as the Pact Commander, but they come when we send out the call. Honestly, I can see the pact getting absorbed into the ranks of the Astral Ward in some sort of way.

We technically never retired, just continued acting as a free agent/on our own. And if we call, the Pact leadership knows it's important enough to respond to ASAP.

As for Astral ward, I think it won't happen. The Ward is focused on external threats, and is kept secret. The Pact and orders are more about preserving Tyria from threats that develop on tyria.

5 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

We are also apparently non-binary now, so there's that in the mix too.

Besides the fact there is literally nothing that says or implies this?

7 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Besides the fact there is literally nothing that says or implies this?

Did you skip all of the dialogue? There's heavy use of they/them in reference to the player character. I don't much care, just seems an odd change to make after all this time. As has been noted elsewhere in the forums, it's probably just a cost-saving measure on the voice acting: one line instead of two. (shrug)

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
voiceover
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2