SotO: Purchase as a gift option??

This doesn't work anyway, as the site errors out with a javascript error...even though javascript is enabled in chrome...honestly it's like they don't want to sell copies their game.  If our accounts were linked to Steam this would be a non-issue...Steam makes it very easy to send gifts.

• Confused 3

yea Anet doesn't support or doesn't know how to implement gifting expacs. If you can manage to get a code to your email you can then give it away, but that's different to how I expected or how I've seen other games do, where you can buy a gift item and the company themselves will email it to your recipient.

There isn't a useful way to gift gems either. Amazon for instance will sell you a gem card but the format of whatever code they're using doesn't work in my account, and it's a pain to get a refund for a gift card that didn't work.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, willow.8209 said:

yea Anet doesn't support or doesn't know how to implement gifting expacs. If you can manage to get a code to your email you can then give it away, but that's different to how I expected or how I've seen other games do, where you can buy a gift item and the company themselves will email it to your recipient.

There isn't a useful way to gift gems either. Amazon for instance will sell you a gem card but the format of whatever code they're using doesn't work in my account, and it's a pain to get a refund for a gift card that didn't work.

Are you on a steam account?

If so gem cards dont work there you have to buy it through steam.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MokahTGS.7850 said:

My original post was was asking about non-Steam versions of the game.  Gifting games through Steam is built in to Steam.  ANet needs to add a gift function added to the web store.

ArenaNet doesn't need to add any feature for gifting expansions or anything that is game related that is based on the user having created an account.

When you purchase from ArenaNet's web store you will get sent an email and have a serial key displayed as the last stage (if you aren't too fast and close that window after you have had confirmation that your purchase where accepted).

It doesn't matter if you are logged into your account at that stage as you will have to redeem that serial key to add it on your account from your accounts web side. If you want to gift that serial key away then you just sent that person your serial key (they will need to have that email if they would have trouble with their account and Costumer Service will ask them to show proof of purchase/owner ship).

The important part here is that when you or your friend add that key to an account that they also make sure they are logged in the correct account. If you friend already have one account that is paid (HoT/PoF) he or she can now add it to get the last expansion (SoTO) or create a new second account which only have SoTO (paid account) and have now two paid account.

The way ArenaNet accounts work make it possible to add (upgrade) from free account to paid accounts, to create another account and make it into a paid account or gift a serial key to a friend by sending that key to a friend.

Gifting in game from Gem Store is not the same as Gifting serial keys to be able to create a new paid account.

Steam have their own system for how things work and you can not compare a stand alone MMO vs the way Steam integrate different MMO into their Steam system where can "gift" items through their Steam wallet (which isn't the same where some one have to first make a purchase in Gem (either real money purchase or Gold to Gem) from Gem Store to be able to gift an item from GS to another GW2 account).

___

Make sure when you friend get that key and have created an account that he/she also make use of 2 step verification to secure account from hackers and the likes. Ask your friend to store that key in a secure place and not only in email in case some one might get access to that email.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230672927-Securing-Your-Account-With-Authentication

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

to update what i posted before, my issue was this:

Gem cards can be redeemed only in the gem store in the game client, and not on the account website.

And certain other types of codes--"Game, Promotional, and Expansion Codes only" (quote from Guild Wars 2 Support Team)-- are the types that can be used in the website. They didn't specify whether this type of code would fail to work in the game client (but I think on these they come with directions to use the website).

So if anyone has trouble with a code, try it both places. It might work the other way. 

Edited by willow.8209