The ingenuity of Initiative system

FrancisN.9276

As a seasoned MMORPGamer, I have gone from an era of MMORPGs with low-polygon character design to an era of MMORPGs with characters much more pleasant to look at than me - some may say that is a low standard to draw comparisons. The combat system in almost all of them requires more gamer's attention to the cooldown bar than anything happening more than half the render distance limit from their character. It has been a norm for MMORPGs for so many decades that I had been used to it without realizing how oppressively confining it was, until I played the Thief profession in GW2. No longer do gamers feel the need to look at the cooldown bar every 3-5s because the Initiative bar is completely visible and adequately informational at the corner of their vision field. No longer do they have to press these buttons rotationally and blindly off cooldown, but rather they can play the game in a way more reactive to all things within their render distance. The Initiative system for weapon skills (reactive skills consuming "stamina" resource without cooldown) coupled with utility skills (skills with cooldown to simulate the preparatory nature of gadgets/gears) is the perfect balance created by the original designers of this class. I do hope that if GW3 comes out one day, their designers will take note of this system rather than letting it go into oblivion.

P.S. please don't kill off Thief profession 😞

Edited by FrancisN.9276
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, FrancisN.9276 said:

As a seasoned MMORPGamer, I have gone from an era of MMORPGs with low-polygon character design to an era of MMORPGs with characters much more pleasant to look at than me - some may say that is a low standard to draw comparisons. The combat system in almost all of them requires more gamer's attention to the cooldown bar than anything happening more than half the render distance limit from their character. It has been a norm for MMORPGs for so many decades that I had been used to it without realizing how oppressively confining it was, until I played the Thief profession in GW2. No longer do gamers feel the need to look at the cooldown bar every 3-5s because the Initiative bar is completely visible and adequately informational at the corner of their vision field. No longer do they have to press these buttons rotationally and blindly off cooldown, but rather they can play the game in a way more reactive to all things within their render distance. The Initiative system for weapon skills (reactive skills consuming "stamina" resource without cooldown) coupled with utility skills (skills with cooldown to simulate the preparatory nature of gadgets/gears) is the perfect balance created by the original designers of this class. I do hope that if GW3 comes out one day, their designers will take note of this system rather than letting it go into oblivion.

Already been killed off. 🪦 RIP RICOCHET🪦

⚰️ 

Wtb necro to revive thief

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, FrancisN.9276 said:

I'm  a real gamer T M

sorry that post lost me at "as a SeAsOnEd" 

• Confused 9