No Access to SotO maps

I have started the SotO story or I would not be complaining. I am right at Commander without a Cause wanting to go through the portal. I have looked at video and been to these and others forums hoping I did something wrong to correct this. But NO!! For some reason I am not allowed to keep playing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Pahaska.8073 said:

I have started the SotO story or I would not be complaining. I am right at Commander without a Cause wanting to go through the portal. I have looked at video and been to these and others forums hoping I did something wrong to correct this. But NO!! For some reason I am not allowed to keep playing.

Your post is very vague.

Which portal?  Do you get an error?

Okay. There is a Prologue called Uncertain Times then after that there is a storyline called Commander without a Cause. Uncertain times takes place in a little villiage where the Wizards Tower has disappeared. After that is the Commander without a Cause. That takes place in Gendarran Fields. When you get there you have to talk to this one person who says your not suppose to be there. Then you head to this small Tower that is close by. Enter it and head to the portal like thing that is suppose to tranport you to the next map in the story. Well when I get to that portal like thing it tells me I DO NOT Have Access to the Map. When I look in the Journal. Uncertain Times and Commander without a Cause have a lock beside it. That tells me I have been locked out. Why? I have followed the whole storyline from the beginning so why am I locked out? I have paid for the Expansion. 

Edited by Pahaska.8073
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Pahaska.8073 said:

Right now I am in Gendarran Fields doing the Commander without a Cause storyline and I am at the small Tower where the portal like thing is. No I do not get an Error.

have you done the part where you have to sneak arround in the night and gather info, if not theres an instance you have to enter and do that, then you get sucked into a rift  

44 minutes ago, Pahaska.8073 said:

When I look in the Journal. Uncertain Times and Commander without a Cause have a lock beside it. That tells me I have been locked out. Why? I have followed the whole storyline from the beginning so why am I locked out? I have paid for the Expansion. 

You need to log into account.arena.net and check that the expansion is unlocked. Someone else had a bug where they were able to start playing the expansion without having it unlocked. Their journal also has locks showing.

You should have received a key in the mail when you bought it. You then apply the key on the account.arena.net website to unlock. Or are you playing from Steam?

Edited by Chaba.5410

Yes I am playing through Steam and had purchased SotO through Steam. No I did not receive a Key to unlock. All I got was a Transaction ID#.

I even tried to play on the Standalone version without Steam and got the same reaction in-game.

Edited by Pahaska.8073
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, Pahaska.8073 said:

Yes I am playing through Steam and had purchased SotO through Steam. No I did not receive a Key to unlock. All I got was a Transaction ID#.

I even tried to play on the Standalone version without Steam and got the same reaction in-game.

Steam and "standalone" are two different accounts.  When you purchase on Steam, it unlocks ONLY for the Steam account.

On account.arena.net, you have to use the "Sign in through Steam" button in order to check the Steam account unlock status.  If it didn't unlock for your Steam account, I believe you need to first contact Steam support.

• Like 2

You are not the first to have this problem where you bought on Steam and have no access to the content.  I don't know how or if the issue was resolved for other players with that problem.  (See https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/131139-steam-refund-and-repurchase-issue for example.)

I suspect the tier 1 level GW2 support person isn't sure about it either.  Game content unlocks are tied to accounts, not characters.  If you check on account.arena.net/overview website and it's locked, I don't see how making a new character is going to change that.  Try to pursue the issue further with GW2 support.  Good luck.

Edited by Chaba.5410

If you bought through steam then the Steam support should be the first to contact I guess? When you unlock the story it actually should be proof though ... that the purchase went through and it got correctly activated for your account. (Otherwise the story steps should be locked.) Hiding in the tower in Gendarran fields will let you access the mission (green marker so you get to an instanced map) where you have to sneak around. Then fight an enemy at the end. Then the portal (the on you meant I guess?) where you join the new maps (still instanced version after that + some other story content until you arrive in the new map).

GW2 support should be contacted here then, I think. For normal accounts (not from Steam) and any previous expansions - I never heard of this ... story unlocked but a bug/error message that you can't access the maps. There technically should not even be a possibility to access the maps without the story. (Most of the time you get teleportation items but need to access the maps once normally to get to those items - either from purchasing a time or doing an achievement or something similar.)

Odd that they even thought of creating a specific message about not having access to the map - which you report to have gotten.

Very unpleasent situation I can imagine. I just hope the support can resolve this super quickly with high priority. Will drive away possible new players if they read about this ...

The refunder issue Chaba linked is tied to a lockout that happend by an actual refund that went through. Probably not the case here. (I guess for that one the refund request locked the content and repurchasing at the sale price - the other linked thread from Chaba the issue there - probaly happened when the refund and removal still was not processed correctly/fully so that that upon purchasing again the game thought that player already had unlocked stuff. Did not to the unlock/applying of the content again.)

1 hour ago, Luthan.5236 said:

When you unlock the story it actually should be proof though

It's not in this case because it's a bug that one who hasn't purchased the expansion can still start the story because they get an email from Taimi right after finishing EoD that allows them to play the story until the middle of Commander without a Cause.  Highly confusing and not at all consistent with the pattern of past content!

The issue for this guy and the other post I linked is that when someone purchases on Steam, something happens sometimes in the communication between Steam and ArenaNet, like a networking issue (?), that doesn't correctly "provision" the account with the correct content.  So on Steam's side the transaction went through but on ArenaNet's side it didn't.  It could be either on Steam's side with the miscommunication or on ArenaNet's side where it misses the request from Steam.  Hard to say.

Edited by Chaba.5410

Well Steam did right by me and refunded my money so I will have to purchase the expansion from the people that make it instead going to third party sites. Oh by the way don't mention the L word or you will get a stern warning from the people upstairs. I guess the truth hurts. Typical corporation:)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pahaska.8504 said:

Well Steam did right by me and refunded my money so I will have to purchase the expansion from the people that make it instead going to third party sites. Oh by the way don't mention the L word or you will get a stern warning from the people upstairs. I guess the truth hurts. Typical corporation:)

Is this purchase going to be your only Guild Wars 2 account purchase?  Because if you have a Steam account with previous game content, you can't add an expansion from the buy.guildwars2.com site to a Steam account. 

You might also consider reading the Forum Rules and/or the User Agreement before posting in the future. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This purchase is Not the only one  to my account. I have bought all the original and GW2 expansions. I have played GW since the beginning in the early 2000s.  All the expansions that I have purchased up to the EoD had a Access Key. When I purchased SotO thru Steam it did not come with a Key. I figured that it would integrate with the rest of the expansions. Well that is not how it happened. I did get Steam to refund my money and I will purchase the SotO expansion thru the proper GW2 site. I never had any problems with GW2 and Steam when I purchased the expansions from ArenaNet. From now on that will be the way to go. Here is a lesson to you boys and girls buy from the people that make the product. Not from a third party site.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well, you can't use a Steam purchase with ArenaNet purchases.  Steam accounts are totally separate from any accounts purchased through ArenaNet.  That was stated up to a year in advance of the Steam release.

Do I have to create a new Guild Wars 2 account to play on Steam?

Yes, Steam is used to create a new Guild Wars 2 account. If you have an existing Guild Wars 2 account, it cannot be transferred to Steam. You will continue to play and manage your current Guild Wars 2 account as you always have.

If you want to play Guild Wars 2 on Steam, you will have to create a new account on Steam and start from the beginning.  

From the Knowledge Base:  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Pahaska.8504 said:

I never had any problems with GW2 and Steam when I purchased the expansions from ArenaNet.

You would have had to add a command line argument in Steam in order to use the ArenaNet login portal.  If you did not, then it automatically logs in using the Steam account, which is a Free-to-Play account.