Bastion of Knowledge?

Bast.7253

Might be a different bastion but I think it’s knowledge. Where the statues come to life…

There’s a stone head with a seemingly cryptic message to the right of Lupi’s (😭) skull. Anyone know what this is eluding to? It appears to be the same kind we see in Elon Riverlands. 

Might be insignificant but thought I’d ask. This area is so cool. We have some Native American looking items in here (maybe Luzon) and I’m wondering if that might be the next expansion story beat but it doesn’t seem related to the big stone head.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shattered_Templar_(plaque)

Are you referring to this?

It's likely just poking at the community's long-long speculation about the objects since 2005. Odd that it doesn't mention we know they're of Ascalonian origin given they're seen in the Ashford Catacombs in GW1 + a similar style statue in the Barradin family tomb.

The museum in general has a bunch of call-backs. And everything seems to be a callback, either straight up answering uncertain questions, or just reflecting the general lore community's questions and musings at the time the content was new.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:51 AM, Bast.7253 said:

Might be insignificant but thought I’d ask. This area is so cool. We have some Native American looking items in here (maybe Luzon) and I’m wondering if that might be the next expansion story beat but it doesn’t seem related to the big stone head.

I'd have to chase up the art book to see if any of it is still canon, but I recall that Utopia was originally intended to have a mesoamerican theme. I don't recall the Luxons having much of a Native American theme.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:26 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shattered_Templar_(plaque)

Are you referring to this?

It's likely just poking at the community's long-long speculation about the objects since 2005. Odd that it doesn't mention we know they're of Ascalonian origin given they're seen in the Ashford Catacombs in GW1 + a similar style statue in the Barradin family tomb.

The museum in general has a bunch of call-backs. And everything seems to be a callback, either straight up answering uncertain questions, or just reflecting the general lore community's questions and musings at the time the content was new.

Yeah, specifically what the plague says about the distant future and writing something down. It's probably obvious and just a fun little callback but I thought it seemed particularly unique in comparison to the other plaques. A little more vague.

There were also some masks or something on a stand near one of the cases - those are the ones I wasn't sure if they were mesoamerican or just a very tribal luxon interpretation. Given we've had some small mesoamerican themed assets added over the years (gecco springer, legendary scepter, maybe that random island fractal?) and likely others I'm overlooking it wouldn't surprise me to see that be the context of a future mini expac. 

Few of these figures survive in the present day, and none have been found intact. Their collapse is consistent with deliberate destruction rather than age or weathering, although it is difficult to draw further conclusions from the statues themselves. The artist, their intent, and any motive for destroying them have been lost to time.

In the distant future, your own perspective may hold the key to understanding mysteries like these. Have you written it down?

15 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

Yeah, specifically what the plague says about the distant future and writing something down. It's probably obvious and just a fun little callback but I thought it seemed particularly unique in comparison to the other plaques. A little more vague.

There were also some masks or something on a stand near one of the cases - those are the ones I wasn't sure if they were mesoamerican or just a very tribal luxon interpretation. Given we've had some small mesoamerican themed assets added over the years (gecco springer, legendary scepter, maybe that random island fractal?) and likely others I'm overlooking it wouldn't surprise me to see that be the context of a future mini expac. 

Few of these figures survive in the present day, and none have been found intact. Their collapse is consistent with deliberate destruction rather than age or weathering, although it is difficult to draw further conclusions from the statues themselves. The artist, their intent, and any motive for destroying them have been lost to time.

In the distant future, your own perspective may hold the key to understanding mysteries like these. Have you written it down?

Personally, I didn't really put stock into that flavor text.

But as for the masks... I found nothing of the sort in the museum. Everything in that room has a plaque and there were no masks of any particular style that I could find. Only saw plants and paintings and labeled exhibits, in that room mostly Elonian stuff. Only unlabeled thing was the lion statue. I even checked the upper floor. You sure they were in the museum?

But if such masks were merely old art assets, they were likely of Hylek origin since they use mesoamerican influences.

8 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Personally, I didn't really put stock into that flavor text.

But as for the masks... I found nothing of the sort in the museum. Everything in that room has a plaque and there were no masks of any particular style that I could find. Only saw plants and paintings and labeled exhibits, in that room mostly Elonian stuff. Only unlabeled thing was the lion statue. I even checked the upper floor. You sure they were in the museum?

But if such masks were merely old art assets, they were likely of Hylek origin since they use mesoamerican influences.

I was wrong. Went searching everywhere. I was talking about the Wizard's Vault in the Wizard's Tower.