An open letter to ArenaNet: The Permanent Mobile Crafting Station promotes social gameplay

An open letter to ArenaNet.

Earlier today I traded for a Permanent Mobile Crafting Station and have been experimenting with it, and have been updating the wiki to answer some of the questions I had before acquiring it. Testing revealed that players who are not in party are able to access it, like other current portable crafting stations. In my opinion this is a very good thing, and encourages and promotes social gameplay. I am motivated to drop this after open world metas so other players can access their bank; my understanding is that the current Permanent Bank Access Express is limited to just the owner.

Because of this positive social feature, it is natural that this use of the Permanent Mobile Crafting Station would come to ArenaNet's attention (if nothing else, ArenaNet employees play the game too!), and I feel it is important to have an open discussion before a patch comes out to change this behavior. If I am wrong and the current behavior is not in the best interests of the players, the community, and ArenaNet, a public venue is the correct place to correct this notion. I recognize that as the owners and operators of the game, if ArenaNet judges it not in their best interests, as consumers of the game we have no recourse but to accept any level of convenience in the tools that we are permitted.

ArenaNet: Please keep the current behavior of allowing other players bank and crafting access via the Permanent Mobile Crafting Station. Although this may run contrary to prior decisions such as to make the Permanent Bank Access Express personal, I feel this promotes and encourages social gameplay, and will ultimately increase (rather than decrease) demand for the item despite being an extremely rare gemstore chance-based drop, due to increased exposure. The player benefits from the item, the community benefits from the item instead of it being selfishly personal, and ArenaNet benefits by increased demand for Black Lion keys to acquire the item, due to increased visibility and the effect of altruism.

Edited by Iiridayn.6109
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Iiridayn.6109 changed the title to An open letter to ArenaNet: The Permanent Mobile Crafting Station promotes social gameplay
On 8/29/2023 at 8:53 PM, Sugar Min.5834 said:

Just no.

Noo.

On 8/30/2023 at 5:44 PM, Sugar Min.5834 said:

For promoting social gameplay, resources would be better spent on a mobile changing cabana tent 🩱🏖️

I'm not suggesting ANet dedicate resources to this - rather the opposite. I'm requesting they spend no resources on changing the current behavior.

Would you mind sharing why you might feel the current behavior is "just no"?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

The Bank NPCS contracts feel trollish because the snobby ***es hold up a sign offering me services only to then deny me access. Mine as well make them invisible to everyone else.

The Crafting Station ones are kind and welcoming to all, thus bringing joy to everyone within the vicinity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, fatihso.7258 said:

Yes.. it does promote the socializing so much that I have yet to see even a single one on any meta and it’s been a long time now.  Imagine getting socializing while using a crafting station, lol. 

You subconciously become social after using one cuz it gives a hidden +mood buff on you IRL.

13 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

One can only hope that this "open letter" won't alert ANet on the item's current behavior, resulting in a change. 😄

I agree, but decided there was less risk by making the issue public and presenting arguments to not make a change instead of having to overcome resistance to change something a second time. ANet employees play the game, so the public nature of the crafting stations was inevitably going to come to ANet's attention, if it had been overlooked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatihso.7258 said:

Yes.. it does promote the socializing so much that I have yet to see even a single one on any meta and it’s been a long time now.  Imagine getting socializing while using a crafting station, lol. 

I've identified three other players who've dropped them at events I've been in, and I often drop them after metas I participate in. I'm sorry that you have not yet had the opportunity to find these in the open world - I can confirm that they are dropped, however.

Also, "social gameplay" does not exclusively consist of "socializing". It is gameplay where players can benefit each other, where seeing another player is a good thing - not merely neutral, or negative. Socializing certainly requires other players and is one form of social gameplay, but it is far from the only form of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let's be honest, that's most likely a bug.
I mean, none of the other permanent contracts allow any other player to use it. And people in your group can't use it, but ppl outside your group can? C'mon, that's pretty obvious.
So yeah, it most likely will be fixed.

However, I support the idea of having public portable crafting stations.
I mean, for any permanent contract we have a single use version, except for the crafting station.
Also the single use merchant and TP can be used by everyone, not only the owner.
Plus we already had public single versions in the past. The Consortium Mobile Crafting Station, which was in line with single use merchant/tp, and the Guild Crafting Stations, which could be bought for guild tokens.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Let's be honest, that's most likely a bug... And people in your group can't use it, but ppl outside your group can?

People in your group can use it, and people outside your group can also use it.

Edited by Iiridayn.6109
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iiridayn.6109 said:

People in your group can use it, and people outside your group can also use it.

Ah okay, then this part is a bit missleading:

"Testing revealed that players who are not in party are able to access it"

Well, this makes it a bit less likely that it's a bug.
Let's hope it's not.

PS: I still think we should get back an option for single use portable crafting stations.