Horn of Maguuma Fisher

I've managed to complete the first two tiers of the collection (14/14); unfortunately the final 7 fish in the collection are still represented with ? so I have to assume they'll be added later on when we see another map added.

I can confirm that working on this collection was definitely one of the least enjoyable.  First it's difficult to determine when day and night fall in the new maps, especially Amnytas (which during the meta shows a time of 12:00 AM) because the map will close at the end of the meta. It took me several days to catch the Ascended and Legendary fish; basically fishing for an hour at a time using 4 Zephyrite Fish Jerky to instantly boost my fishing stacks to 99 along with fishing food and an Item Booster (for the possible extra 1-3 casts) and sitting at one fishing hole for the entire duration (there are only 2 Astral fishing holes and 2 Spire fishing holes on the map) and waiting for it to respawn every 10 minutes.

Best of luck in completing the collection!!

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with the day / night time. I've somehow noticed in one instance it was day and in another it was night. Very weird.

I'm not that much into fishing to know what boosts my odds. Can you please explain how does the Zephyrite Fish Jerky benefit fishing? As in does it just make it easier to fish or can increase the chances of dropping rare fish?

Also the item booster, what's the benefit of it in fishing?

Apologies for perhaps silly questions, not an avid fisher. :X

• Like 1

Just now, pennypants.1680 said:

I agree with the day / night time. I've somehow noticed in one instance it was day and in another it was night. Very weird.

I'm not that much into fishing to know what boosts my odds. Can you please explain how does the Zephyrite Fish Jerky benefit fishing? As in does it just make it easier to fish or can increase the chances of dropping rare fish?

the fish jerky give you stacks instantly each stack increases your fishing power.

The item booster make it possible to get more then 1 fish per cast if I remember right.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fishing is a chore in the expansion. The Bastion Fish is literally the Magikarp. I fished about 50 times and I'm still at 8/21. Fortunately, I found 1 exotic and also the Dawn/Dusk fish. But there a multiple things wrong with this achievement (in my opinion):

1.) Way too few fishing holes.  In Skywatch Archipelago are no duplicates of fishing holes. Which means: There is only one lake, one channel …

2.) like i already mentioned: The Bastion Fish shows up way too often;

3.) fishing in Amnytas requires high fishing power. But due to the lack of fishing holes, you won't get much/anything out of your Skiff. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pennypants.1680 said:

Once you've unlocked Fishing Party in the EoD Skiff mastery, you'll be able to acquire 'fishing stacks' while you fish, which improve your overall fishing power (@ 10 stacks, 25 stacks, 45 stacks, 70 stacks, and 99 stacks).  Normally you'll acquire these fishing stacks per fish caught, but by using the Zephyrite Fish Jerky you can immediately acquire 25 stacks per piece of jerky used, up to 4 pieces used immediately granting 99 fishing stacks giving you a much higher fishing power which usually provides a better yield of the high-end (Ascended/Legendary) fish.

The Item Booster is used for increasing yield from nodes (ore, wood, plants, etc), but fishing is actually set up the same way; similar to 3 attempts for an ore or wood node, fishing allots 3 casts per fishing hole. By using the Item Booster, you can potentially increase this yield by an additional 1-3 casts per fishing hole, up to a possible 6 casts on a single hole. Given the extremely limited number of fishing holes on the new maps, using an Item Booster will increase your potential casts while you're using fishing food (+150 fishing power).

And no need to apologize for not knowing much about fishing. I'm always happy to share what knowledge I've gleamed from the hundreds of hours I've spent at it.

EDIT: I should add the Zephyrite Fish Jerky can either be crafted by a Cook (provided you acquired the recipe during the Four Winds Festival) or purchased on the Trading Post.  The Item Booster (30m version) can be purchased from a laurel vendor.

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 1

Finished off all I could catch until the new map comes... and this was a very very annoying one to work on.... the fact there is only 1 node per type on the Skywatch map sure did make it a monumental chore to get the ones needed.   Took me 2 full real days of only fishing to get them all.    And here I thought the dawn/dusk fish were annoying to catch lol 

• Like 1

I didn't even know there was a new fishing achieve until I saw this post, so thanks for that.

The one frustrating me the most right now is the desert fish in Skywatch, which you can't even use skiff on because the water isn't deep enough, which also means you can't even cheese it with Zephyrite Jerky. It pretty much requires you to go get the Tips on Fishing, which I find tedious.

What I've been doing to maximize the time available with Tips of Fishing is to go do the one desert fishing hole, log out, do something else for five minutes while the fishing hole refreshes, log back in, etc. This is effective but really ridiculous in that the best way to achieve this particular game goal is to log out.

I'm not sure where to begin I started on this collection today at the start of the afternoon & after making some quick progress got stuck on the 4 skywatch fish (queenflip,Codmander,Jokopu,Empressfish) after daytime came again finally got them after a long fishing trip running from hole to hole,

So far this is somewhat bearable if not really tedious just using whitefish sushi. Then move to Amnytas I have been here for maybe 3-4 nightcycles i have been trying to get the final Celestial fish for more than 4 hours already the other fish were as if not more tedious than skywatch aswell.

I went with a different approach in using quantity over quality as sitting in one fishing spot for the 30 minutes of night with the hole respawning every 10 mins was not a pleasant thought. So after clearing both spots (obscure/Balance) i would then use the tp scroll to wizard tower & get a new instance type /IP to double check. This has let me fish 11-15 nodes or more per night cycle from which i get 30 bastion fish 5 natural fish & maybe one or two moonskin strykers if im really lucky. 

Now the issue here is any other map i can maybe get one or two leggy fish doing this amount of Nodes im not making large profit without the zeph jerky/item booster but im fine with that. This though for a casual experience, i should not be forced to spend 40Silver for 4 Jerky's and sit afk for half an hour or spend multiple gold and jump from one fishing spot to another because ANET thought it would be a super fun idea to not connect the fishing spots on the map & limit them to literally only one spot per pond while also giving the Nodes a horrible large fishing power requirement. Reduce the fishing power requirement & save people some time with their lives im a tad sick of seeing a bastion fish at this point & will have to come back tomorrow to finish this insane collection if RNGesus so permits me to.

I've mentioned in my initial post that I've spent 3H or so trying to get the legendary / ascended fish in Amnytas and I wasn't joking. After taking the advice of others in this topic I used the booster and it worked more or less instantly.

I've now found fish in both maps so thank you for your help.

Thing is as you've mentioned there aren't a lot of fishing holes to begin with. The way I went about it is via LFG. Hop maps as much as many of them are in LFG in you can get nodes in the same place. Otherwise move on to another fishing spot.

Fishing power is not really an issue here if you're stubborn and just 'fight the fish to get it'. There's no point taking it into account as the fishing holes are spread anyways.

All in all I've managed to get all fish in say 5H (probably would've got them in 1H if I used the booster although maybe that was just a sudden change of luck).

I'm having no luck with the jokopu, fractured desert exotic fish. All the rest went relatively quiclyk, but that kitten jokopu is getting ridiculous. So far I've spent 6 item boosters and 17 fishing food. I've caught 9 legendary fish and every fish in the avid desert collection that's possible with the daytime/mackerel combination. I'm starting to wonder if the conditions listed in the collection are correct (dayrime/any bait).

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958

Part of the problem is that there's one hole in the entire freaking body of water of each little region which means the chance is even worse and we can't even stack up buffs from the skiff. You also need to constantly spam map change too and if you're chasing a fish that's also specific on the time of day it's a migraine. I don't know if also it's meant to work this way, but it becomes even less probable to get the fish you need when you're competing against the drop rates of fish from other maps and the world class fish pool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I'm having no luck with the jokopu, fractured desert exotic fish. All the rest went relatively quiclyk, but that kitten jokopu is getting ridiculous. So far I've spent 6 item boosters and 17 fishing food. I've caught 9 legendary fish and every fish in the avid desert collection that's possible with the daytime/mackerel combination. I'm starting to wonder if the conditions listed in the collection are correct (dayrime/any bait).

This one is also painful because of the freaking Cannonade and his brigade that literally camp the fishing area....