not getting credit for finishing soto

On 8/31/2023 at 1:10 PM, gashen.3874 said:

i have completed soto but have not recieved all of the mastery points or rewards, i have also repeated 2 of the story steps and recieved nothing 

Moving on to the next mission doesn't mean that you have done every step that are need to fully get all achievements that are possible for that story episode/instance.

You will get to next step in story even when you just manage to survive and not get outside boundaries for map instance (as far as I know in SoTO content you will get back inside of map boundaries for instance - in other story content you can be killed or teleported back, so this work different for different story content). You will get to check point in most cases if you die or if there is any alive NPC around they will resurrect you if you wait long enough and don't use check point as fast as you are dead.

When you do story content the very first time where you also can get achievement from, it is possible that you might finish a lot of these the first time you do story, but not all. There for we need to know what you can see in Achievements section Hero Panel.

Take a look in Hero Panel section for to Achievements here you need to click on Story Journal and look for the Mastery symbol matching SoTO Mastery colour (Gold or Yellow) to unfold sub categories for SoTO which is divided into Acts.

Usually you get one Mastery Point just from finishing an episode in story and if you also manage to do some achievements during that Instance you might get some more.

If you have some achievements left then you will see a still not filled section among already completed objectives/task/achievements.

NOTE: There is to -2- places in Hero Panel called Story Journal, the one where you pick active story and can see your progression from story steps (grey vs highlighted text), some summery information if you have still left some achievements which can give you a reward (usually an Ascended item or something else) and Mastery (usually x/3 means you have a total of three possible Mastery from doing achievements and usually you get one to just from completing story to the end of that story instance).

The second place where you can find Story Journal is in Achievement section which in turn have been split into section after which story episode you are looking (Green Mastery: HoT related, Purple Mastery: PoF and so on).

To make it easier to track something use Watch List (eye symbol) and go to the top of Achievement section where you can click on those you have put on Watch List to see more info. With Wizard's Vaul you can no longer see Objectives below minimap/compass until you have unticked every Wizard's Vault then it will show what objectives you have on Watch List.

_____

What have you left of Act 1, 2, or 3 in Achievements>Story Journal>Act X? Is everything in all Acts full (background will be filled for finished achievements) or do you still have some left here?

In the last step of Act 3 you have to wait a bit after you have killed that boss and follow through some dialogue with Peitha. and there will a portal in the end of that dialogue. You need to walk though that portal to get to next stage where you will meet your friends.

Here you will first walk with Peitha to meet Isgarren,  you need to wait until they are finished to talk. Then you should see a changed status with the typical talk to NPC symbol (white background and green symbol) above head and a green circle to direct you to other possible NPC you can talk to.

Don't be afraid to use Gliding or mount to get up and down in that building (explore with care), but keep an eye to not get too close to map boundaries as it is still an instanced map.

When you have finished this last part, then you should get some the final reward.

Here is a link to those step listed in reverse order as Act 3 is most likely what you have issues to finish:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Obscure:_Act_3

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Obscure:_Act_2

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Obscure:_Act_1

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gashen.3874 said:

as far as i  know yes , if i didn't i couldn't move on to the next mission

Press H --> Achievements tab --> Story Journal --> Secrets of the Obscure: Act 1-3
Press H --> Achievements tab --> Secrets of the Obscure --> all subcatergories

The achievements that reward Mastery Points are marked as such (with a glowing golden sun/star).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gashen.3874 said:

i have checked my achievements and i have 2 missing from act2 these are fractal push and assist mabon, 

Read here for Fractal Push: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Missing_Facet#Fractal_Push

You need to have started Secrets of the Obscure Chapter 5: The Missing Facet story step and have Achievement Eligibility: Gatherer of Essence active during Unlocking the Wizard's Tower event.

(There are links to those steps if you need them from that wiki link I gave here)

Read here for Assist Mabon: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tower_of_Secrets#Assist_Mabon

(For this to count you need to Achievement Eligibility: Assist Mabon active - read link for more details)

2 hours ago, gashen.3874 said:

i have checked my achievements and i have 2 missing from act2 these are fractal push and assist mabon, 

Please consult the Wiki, when you have questions like these. People here can only provide you the links as well to answer your questions. (E.g., Fractal Push can be done, you just have to reactivate it via entering a specific story mission. How is explained in the "Fractal Push" entry on the Wiki.)

This is the GW2 Wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/

47 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Please consult the Wiki, when you have questions like these. People here can only provide you the links as well to answer your questions. (E.g., Fractal Push can be done, you just have to reactivate it via entering a specific story mission. How is explained in the "Fractal Push" entry on the Wiki.)

This is the GW2 Wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/

I think I did put direct link from wiki to those two achievement that seem have trouble with to get finished as achievement.

In the future @gashen.3874, try to first look in GW2 wiki if there is solution to your problem or any help to guide you there as there is a lot of information and sometimes also Notes where other players that edit on wiki give tips on how to do things. There is also usually a bug section in the end of each wiki if there are know problems with mission, quest or items that are needed to complete something.

As for bugs in SoTO, yes there will always be some bugs, but in general it is also easy to overlook information that are on screen.  

In one of those achievement you need to this twice as it is mutually exclusive option, so you can't just get all achievement done at once. You need to restart Story episode and do same event again to get all achievement finished and carefully pick the second option when you get that opportunity while playing.

One good reason to always look up on GW2 wiki before you do story related achievement to avoid to having to repeat same story mode to finish achievement and to get expected rewards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

all these comments i am getting about this story step would,nt be needed if the story made any sense, this must be the biggest load of rubbish anet have ever released,i have just read the wiki about this expansion, about as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.  i really don,t know what is going on, i have just done fractal push so all i need to do is assist mabon???????//

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

somebody please help me  i am getting nowhere with assist mabon, i have done fractal rush i just need the last one,  i did fractal rush and chose the option to help lyhr and mabon this worked ok, the next time i chose to collect essences that took me to the missing facet this i did then was  told the mission was over, BACK TO SQUARE ONE                                                       

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, gashen.3874 said:

somebody please help me  i am getting nowhere with assist mabon, i have done fractal rush i just need the last one,  i did fractal rush and chose the option to help lyhr and mabon this worked ok, the next time i chose to collect essences that took me to the missing facet this i did then was  told the mission was over, BACK TO SQUARE ONE                                                       

Assist Mabon is an achievement you can complete while doing Chapter 6 in Secrets of the Obscure story; this is where you are trying to unlock the Wizard's Tower.  You are given the option to assist either Lyhr or Mabon to get to the Hall of Confluence.   They are mutually exclusive, so if you chose to help Lyhr your first playthrough you can repeat the chapter and help Mabon instead.  Once you reach the Hall of Confluence, the achievement will complete.

• Thanks 1

thanks a lot i have completed it, at last,,  i think it is bugged though .

i had no mastery points for missions 4,5,6, and7,yet when i completed assist mabon i got 1 mastery point ,missions 4,5,6and 7 showed in the journal that i had completed them all though no mastery points were awarded.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In past expansions and stories, the text on the achievements lists the specific story step name where you can do the achievement in. In SotO it doesn't. It only says "journal". That is confusing. So you have to guess at which story step to replay for the mutually exclusive achievements.

This is the biggest gripe I have with SotO. It breaks with the past UI patterns.

2 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

In past expansions and stories, the text on the achievements lists the specific story step name where you can do the achievement in. In SotO it doesn't. It only says "journal". That is confusing. So you have to guess at which story step to replay for the mutually exclusive achievements.

This is the biggest gripe I have with SotO. It breaks with the past UI patterns.

Until SoTO you had different chapters and episodes, in SoTO you have now three Act's which you have to figure out which story step belongs to which Act.

Arena Net have reduced or made them depending on people willing to keep GW2 wiki updated to actually be able to keep track of where in story line they are and for what achievements that are connected to story or in open world progress for story to actually get all rewards including related Mastery unlocks.

I get the feeling that they have copied story system from ARPG like Path of Exile (F2P on Steam ARPG) where they divided story into different act's. This is common for ARPGs to use Act instead of chapter or other ways to tell players where in story line they are for progression.

ARPGs in general are also much more linear in story then GW2 where you can replay different story chapters or episodes. PoE isn't a real MMO in the sense that you can play with other player in an open world, but make much more use instanced content.

SoTO (story) on the other hand make use of instance which is partly mixed with stages where one also have to complete task in open world, before getting back into instanced mode to continue story progression.

• Sad 1